Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2733416)   #226
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I was merely trying to show that all drivers whinge and complain to some degree. Even if they aren't perceived to be habitual moaners.
Fair point, but at least they don't throw up their hands in total disgust once a Virgin or HRT car is within 500 feet of their nose.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 04:15 (Ref:2733783)   #227
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Fair point, but at least they don't throw up their hands in total disgust once a Virgin or HRT car is within 500 feet of their nose.
First thing that came into my mind..... "Danger Will Robinson, Virgin approaching, Virgin approaching, Danger ......"

...or Virgin with HRT.....
Old 27 Jul 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2733857)   #228
Andy Harrison
Rookie

Andy Harrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why do you say that?
Between Hamilton's 'aggressive style' and Button's 'smooth style', in normal race conditions, Hamilton wins every time. This has already been proved this season with Hamilton out qualifying his team mate in most races as well as finishing ahead at the chequered flag. Button's two race wins were both great tyre calls, in changeable conditions - he's got a wise head but I prefer the aggressive style of Hamilton.
If McLaren can get their car back up to speed Hamilton will win the World Championship.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2734142)   #229
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I have always preferred the "racer" to the driver/ rider.
After all they are racing drivers, not high speed chauffeurs.
So Senna beats Prost in my opinion, Mansell beats Piquet, Schumacher beat Hakkinen, Kubica beats Heidfeld, Hamilton beats Button, Alonso beats Massa, Fogarty beats any other rider of his time and Rossi beats all the others.

Currently, I rate Hamilton and Alonso as the best two drivers out there. Lewis has definitely matured this season and has carried the car into positions it doesn't belong. Alonso and Kubica have carried their teams this year also. Both are hugely capable of having their cars in places they shouldn't be.
One guy I'd love to see in a better car is Sutil. Ok, I'm not convnced by Liuzzi but he's been quick against all team-mates for some years.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2734154)   #230
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Harrison View Post
Between Hamilton's 'aggressive style' and Button's 'smooth style', in normal race conditions, Hamilton wins every time. This has already been proved this season with Hamilton out qualifying his team mate in most races as well as finishing ahead at the chequered flag. Button's two race wins were both great tyre calls, in changeable conditions - he's got a wise head but I prefer the aggressive style of Hamilton.
If McLaren can get their car back up to speed Hamilton will win the World Championship.
I'd expect Hamilton to do better than Button, he hasn't had to make the transition to a new team that Button has and all that goes with it.

Who's your favourite F1 driver?
Old 27 Jul 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2734155)   #231
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
OK.......If that's your opinion. @herowassenna
Old 27 Jul 2010, 19:50 (Ref:2734159)   #232
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
So Senna beats Prost in my opinion, Mansell beats Piquet, Schumacher beat Hakkinen, Kubica beats Heidfeld, Hamilton beats Button, Alonso beats Massa, Fogarty beats any other rider of his time and Rossi beats all the others.
What a simplistic view.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2734164)   #233
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love how Senna fans always make out that Prost was slow, as if the fact that only Schumacher and Senna have more poles than him is of complete irrelevance. And lol at "Schumacher beats Hakkinen"

Having said that, I'd take Lewis over Button any day. But because he's better, not due to different styles (IMO)
Old 27 Jul 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2734170)   #234
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I love how Senna fans always make out that Prost was slow, as if the fact that only Schumacher and Senna have more poles than him is of complete irrelevance. And lol at "Schumacher beats Hakkinen"
Prost was slow, but still managed to stay ahead of all those that were faster than he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Having said that, I'd take Lewis over Button any day. But because he's better, not due to different styles (IMO)
Having been with the team as long as he has, I'd have expected Lewis to be wiping the floor with Button, as he did with Kovalainen. But it's just not the case at all.

Button was faster than Hamilton in Germany during the race, and it makes me wonder how far ahead of Hamilton he would have been had he not got held up by Vettel at the start.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2734206)   #235
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Having been with the team as long as he has, I'd have expected Lewis to be wiping the floor with Button
Does one just get faster and faster simply by staying with a team for a long time then? If that's the case Hamilton needs to simply stay where he is, by the end of his career he'll be able to lap 3 seconds faster than any other car!

Seriously, why is it such a surprise that Button is doing well after changing teams? Yes, I expect it took him a little while with them to get adjusted, but he's a world championship winning F1 driver at his prime. Should we really expect someone like that to be a second slower than Lewis just because 'they did things a bit differently at Brawn'?

Jenson is an excellent driver, a champion who has had many months to get acquainted with his new environment. I don't think it's reasonable to imply that Hamilton has somehow underachieved because he has failed to utterly humiliate such a talented team mate. Besides, he has extended his championship lead over Button in every race since his wheel failure in Spain, that must count for something!
Old 27 Jul 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2734239)   #236
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Does one just get faster and faster simply by staying with a team for a long time then? If that's the case Hamilton needs to simply stay where he is, by the end of his career he'll be able to lap 3 seconds faster than any other car!

Seriously, why is it such a surprise that Button is doing well after changing teams? Yes, I expect it took him a little while with them to get adjusted, but he's a world championship winning F1 driver at his prime. Should we really expect someone like that to be a second slower than Lewis just because 'they did things a bit differently at Brawn'?

Jenson is an excellent driver, a champion who has had many months to get acquainted with his new environment. I don't think it's reasonable to imply that Hamilton has somehow underachieved because he has failed to utterly humiliate such a talented team mate. Besides, he has extended his championship lead over Button in every race since his wheel failure in Spain, that must count for something!
It's different strokes for different folks. Alonso got the same points as Lewis in 2007, when he was at McLaren then subsequently went back to Renault. If he had felt comfortable at McLaren surely he would have stayed? Clearly he hadn't adjusted to moving to McLaren, even though he had been there for a whole season.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 08:50 (Ref:2734483)   #237
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hakkinen and Prost described as high speed chauffers. Oh dear. At this point all credibility is lost.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 08:57 (Ref:2734486)   #238
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Alain Prost is probably the greatest driver to compete in my lifetime.

If he is just a high-speed chauffeur it doesn't bode well for the others.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2734520)   #239
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I think all those people who watch F1 drivers making it look pretty easy imagine because of that, it isn't all that difficult. Hence the chauffeurs comment.

Just a heads up to those people - it IS that difficult.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2734603)   #240
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is what people seem to forget. With the exception of a few outside the sport, e.g. Sebastian Loeb (who I believe is outright the best driver currently competing in motorsport), and a few pay drivers at the back of the grid, F1 drivers are the 20 or so very best drivers in the world. Splitting them is splitting the truly special from the merely very, very good.

And occasionally, as was the case with Senna and Prost, we get the joy of two truly special drivers competing with each other.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2734613)   #241
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post

Currently, I rate Hamilton and Alonso as the best two drivers out there. Lewis has definitely matured this season and has carried the car into positions it doesn't belong. Alonso and Kubica have carried their teams this year also. Both are hugely capable of having their cars in places they shouldn't be.
One guy I'd love to see in a better car is Sutil. Ok, I'm not convnced by Liuzzi but he's been quick against all team-mates for some years.
Oh the irony.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2734615)   #242
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
This is what people seem to forget. With the exception of a few outside the sport, e.g. Sebastian Loeb (who I believe is outright the best driver currently competing in motorsport), and a few pay drivers at the back of the grid, F1 drivers are the 20 or so very best drivers in the world. Splitting them is splitting the truly special from the merely very, very good.

And occasionally, as was the case with Senna and Prost, we get the joy of two truly special drivers competing with each other.
We'll never see that again.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2734623)   #243
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
We'll never see that again.
You won't! Particularly with a manufacturer team that uses the sport to sell its road vehicles. Even to these people it is obvious that the drivers championship holds more sway than than anything a car builder can bring to the sport.

Ferrari may as well as put Luca Badoer in the second car now, unless they have some tactical strategy they wish to employ with Massa if it's to benefit his car constructor in its attempts to win the drivers championshp (?!).
Old 28 Jul 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2734631)   #244
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well we had it as recently as 2007 at McLaren so I don't think it is that unlikely.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2734633)   #245
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
What Knowlesy said.

Plus, we've got Hamilton and Button at McLaren, who are both special in their own way.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2734637)   #246
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Ferrari may as well as put Luca Badoer in the second car now, unless they have some tactical strategy they wish to employ with Massa if it's to benefit his car constructor in its attempts to win the drivers championshp (?!).
Why would they put Badoer in? The constructors crown is still important, just not as important as the drivers title.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2734659)   #247
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Alain Prost is probably the greatest driver to compete in my lifetime.

If he is just a high-speed chauffeur it doesn't bode well for the others.
He wasn't called The Professor for nothing.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2736654)   #248
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood you in that case, although in defence of the McLaren pair I'd say it was fair comment rather than whinging and complaining.
Actually.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for....html?ITO=1490
Old 31 Jul 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2736660)   #249
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I read that comment by Ron Dennis elsewhere and thought it was ridiculous. If the car isn't fast enough (and it isn't) what are they supposed to do? Lie and that it's a great car?
Old 31 Jul 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2736676)   #250
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love how your post basically starts with "I don't read the Daily Mail..."