Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 8 Jan 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1196057)   #1
mortda
Rookie

mortda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 to Replace F1

It has been mooted that the new A1 Formula will eventually Replace F1.
Surely these people can't be Serious!!
Old 8 Jan 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1196072)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the GPWC, I'm assuming...well, they'd have to - FOA or one of Bernie's myriad companies own the F1 copyright.

I still the think the whole thing is a gigantic bluff, though. It'll be interesting to see how far the manufacturers are prepared to take it.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1196082)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The people behind A1GP are on good terms with Bernie and plan to run as a winter series - not in competition with F1.

GPWC is nothing to do with A1GP.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1196171)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you have a link to this claim? The people behind A1 have always promoted their series as something for the winter and to compliment F1. They want to be a bit like F1, but without competing with it.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1196183)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 is in a market where there is zero competition, they have no reason to want to compete with F1, Champ Car or anyone else.

I'm still not sold on the country gimmick either.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1196207)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Sorry, then - me getting confused. I have heard of this series and thought it was quite a spectacular rubbish idea that no-one would go for.

Not still on the cards, is it?
Old 9 Jan 2005, 00:39 (Ref:1196210)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it launches this year, despite the names involved I'm not holding my breath for anything spectacular.

They built a car that involves the driver a lot more by removing all the aids, then say the driver isn't important as people will be supporting the country instead. Yeah, that's logical.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 00:42 (Ref:1196211)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
It'll turn into a graveyard for all the middle-talented drivers that are/were on long-term contracts to F1 teams. Lewis Hamilton and Mika Salo, anyone?

Last edited by Logrence; 9 Jan 2005 at 00:42.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1196212)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm looking forward to A1.

First up, we could be watching that now rather than hanging out for the next race. Also, the organisers have really studied F1 (and other series) to find out what the fans want.

It wont replace F1, but it will be a great add on for Summer (or winter for across the pond).
Old 9 Jan 2005, 03:01 (Ref:1196244)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Lets have all three series,the more racing the better.The fans can vote with their feet/remotes/$$$ for the best one.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 04:12 (Ref:1196276)   #11
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cars look good, different to most, but I see it as another sub-F1 one make single seater category like Euro F3, and Formula Nissan, and what have you, that I really don't follow much. You can only have so many one make single seaters, before it gets dull

Will be interesting to see how this one goes though, the country teams idea is an interesting one.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1196601)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the main FIA championship loses a lot of teams to the GPWC, then the A1 might have a lot of teams and drivers on offer to replace them from 2008, so it's definitely in Bernie's interests to work with these guys as much as possible. At the least, it'll be a good chance for F1 teams to assess young talent that can't get a chance in F1.

I don't think GPWC will happen - they'd be starting it up without any heirtage or history to fall back on, without most of the world's great circuits, and with a guarantee of infighting in temrs of setting rules - look at the various US championships to see how this works in the end.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1196609)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GPWC is a bargaining tool - and if it ever exists as a series it will be F1.

We won't see a CART/IndyCar rival series situation.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1196665)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I saw A1 I thought for a moment you meant AI - artificial intelligence...... (either that or artificial insem....... soimething else...... )
Old 9 Jan 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1196697)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tasman series anyone?

Back in the days of yore before satellite TV, internet etc. F1 drivers went to Australia and New Zealand to play in the warmer weather. Seems to me that the A1 series has a similar function except it won't have any current F1 drivers.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1196730)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
A1 is aimilar in power and car size to GP2, Superfund and the Renault series that replaces the Nissan series, all of which run in the European summer. A1 runs in the European winter at circuits outside of the European region.
It won't replace F1 and I'm sure the organisers aren't making any such claims. these have probably come from some other less informed source.
In readers rant on Pitpass.com one reader suggested the FIA create two separate championships. One called F1 for drivers (with regulations similar to A1, ie no driver aids-over12 rounds) and a separate maunfacturers championship with 10 3-6 hour races for cars with enclosed wheels, plus a couple of 24 hr headliner events.
In this way the FIA could have a drivers championship and cater for the maunfacturers need for relatively unimpeeded technology, plus drivers could over a year compete in both classes.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1196825)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
The current F1 drivers are too delicate to manage anything as interesting or diverse as 'driving something else'.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1196836)   #18
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would say that the people they drive for (be it sponsors or team owners) would not let them drive anything else...!

I am still amased that Schumacher is allowed to play soccer.

DKGandBH.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1196840)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, you have to dedicate so much time to be competitive in the main event that it rules out competing elsewhere. Which is a shame. Although it isn't as if they wrap themselves up in cotton wool the rest of the time.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1197170)   #20
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGandBH
I am still amased that Schumacher is allowed to play soccer.

If you ran Ferarri, and MS came to you at negotiation time and said "I want it written into my contract that I can play soccer, or I leave", what would you do?
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1197251)   #21
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that A1GP (which I'm 100% in favour of) are still saying, quite nicely, that they are a "winter" series and so won't compete with F1, but there are F1 insiders who are now talking about extending the F1 season to allow for more races in more countries with less congestion in the middle of the year... A1GP effectively says "there's a market for single-seater racing all year round", so Bernice's lot will naturally want to take advantage too...
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1197262)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Yes, you have to dedicate so much time to be competitive in the main event that it rules out competing elsewhere. Which is a shame. Although it isn't as if they wrap themselves up in cotton wool the rest of the time.
Is that really true, you think Adam? The time element? I'm not so convicnced personally. I think if some of the constraints and "expectations" were stripped away, the likes of Michael and others would love to race other machinery more than now and again......
Old 10 Jan 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1197530)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
My point was that if the drivers championship was limited to 12 rounds, they'd all have the time to do the sports car races, or some of them...
Old 10 Jan 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1197544)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Is that really true, you think Adam? The time element? I'm not so convicnced personally. I think if some of the constraints and "expectations" were stripped away, the likes of Michael and others would love to race other machinery more than now and again......
A bit of both really. I think not competing on the same weekend is entirely down to keeping job no.1 their priority. The second constraint is contractually and the third they want to just have some time off. Fourth is that they are all chicken.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 02:22 (Ref:1197795)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP
If you ran Ferarri, and MS came to you at negotiation time and said "I want it written into my contract that I can play soccer, or I leave", what would you do?
Possibly, on the same token those millions are for nothing if he is injured. I'm betting along with that agreement comes a very hefty Insurance policy as well.

Back to A1, bring it on I say. Shame we wont see F1 drivers in it, but I will be watching it