Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 5 Aug 2001, 00:08 (Ref:125973)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who most deserves an F1 drive?

Who, From the current crop of F3000 drivers , most deserves an F1 drive next season. Who will be in your top 5?
Mine are
M. Webber
J.Wilson
T.Enge
D.Saelens
A.Pizzonia
Old 5 Aug 2001, 02:32 (Ref:126006)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
dont really know alot of guys from that series as we get no coverage of it over here..but I would say definately Webber and Wilson has been impressive this year as well and has been in F3000 for a while now and if he wins this year or not he deserves a shot at F1.

and ex F3000 driver Allan McNish also deserves a ride for years of service to F1 teams in testing
Old 5 Aug 2001, 08:54 (Ref:126065)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Things get a little tricky when you start talking about who DESERVES an f1 seat, as it is often a subjective thing.

I don't know a whole heap about the other drivers, but I feel Webber definitely deserves a shot. He's been through a lot, and certainly does not have the money of some of his rivals. If he did get a run, it would be testament to his perseverance, and a triumph of talent over $$$$.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 12:08 (Ref:126107)   #4
formula-3000net
Racer

formula-3000net should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to be really contraversial and suggest that Webber actually doesn't deserve a F1 drive based on his F3000 performance.

He may be fast, but he is incredibly inconsistent, and some of his qualifying positions have been very poor.

I'd say Pizzonia, Cochet and Bourdais were the drivers most deserving of an F1 drive.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 13:01 (Ref:126127)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3k drivers that deserved an F1 drive: Pizzonia

Drivers that deserves a CART drive: Enge, Haberfeld, both Spearficos and Mauricio.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 15:33 (Ref:126173)   #6
Rempie
Racer

Rempie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bas Leinders, definitly Bas Leinders.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 17:01 (Ref:126202)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
antonio needs to learn how to race when his car's not up to it yet. one more year in f3000, then he'll be ready.

i agree with formula-3000net's point about mark webber, he is inconsistent. i can think of a few more people who deserve that drive more.

re hakkiman's suggestion of the sperafico lads, i'm not convinced about rodrigo (well, he's lost his seat with coloni now..), but ricardo's shown he's worth a go. not sure he should have a drive before someone like tomas enge, but that's because we haven't really seen enough of him.

not sure about bas leinders.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 03:18 (Ref:126423)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why does it not surprise me that formula-3000net does not agree with Webber deserving an f1 seat? Your website is the most biased-against-Mark-Webber site one will ever see. As for bella, well this topic has been discussed before.

Webber may not have been the most consistent, but a lot of his problems have not been his own fault. And the way he is taking the fight to the Nordic TEAM, in what is effectively a one car Super Nova effort, I think, is quite admirable. Add to this, the distraction of f1 testing, where most rivals can focus solely on F3000, and it seems to me Mark's doing pretty well.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Pizzonia get a drive eventually.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 05:56 (Ref:126441)   #9
roges
Rookie

roges should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fully agree with Mac....Id say Mark Webber....after all the stuff he went through with Mercedes and to fight his way back up to the top with little sponsers.Also i dont think ive ever know a teammate of his to get anywhere near him in F3000...hes finished Haberfields F1 career thats for sure....and he was supposed to be the next big thing when he won the British F3 a few years back.Also i think Pizzonia after one more years experience.But its great to hear that Allan McNish has been virtually confirmed as the Toyota driver next year......finnaly!!
GO MARK!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6 Aug 2001, 07:27 (Ref:126476)   #10
Happy Hippo
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Happy Hippo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Webber.
Although this year with Super Nova is not completely as I expected. But he had a strong debut year with European Arrows. And always outpaced he's teammate.
2. Bourdais.
Talented. Hasn't had a chance to drive for a top team (SN, PB, NR) and had his portion of misfortune. What was it? Three front row starts never made it through the first turn. bummer.
3. Leinders.
Pretty much the same case like Boourdais. He's more talented then his F3000 palmares shows.
4. Pizzonia
If Alonso made it to F1 after one strong season in F3000, Pizzonia deserves the same.
5. Wilson
Although it's difficult to attribute his fine results to his talent, because Nordic and Enge are performing so well. Gives me a "with Nordic everyone can win feeling". Of course that's not true. I pick him over Enge.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 12:21 (Ref:126574)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who more deserves the F1 drive?

About F3000 drivers: Mark Webber
Others: Justin Wilson, Tomas Enge, Antonio Pizzonia, Sebastien Bourdais, Darren Manning, David Saelens, Bas Leinders
About F3 drivers: Takuma Sato
Others: James Courtney, André Lotterer
Old 6 Aug 2001, 15:05 (Ref:126634)   #12
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, with all these deserving people, it's a shame there aren't 26 F1 teams, so they could all have a go, isn't it?

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how 'deserving' you are, or even how good your manager is or how much money you've got. Unless some of the old gits in F1 get moving, there'll be no room for our young talent.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 19:18 (Ref:126729)   #13
Rempie
Racer

You can make room with money...
Old 6 Aug 2001, 23:51 (Ref:126838)   #14
F1Babe
Rookie

F1Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Justin Wilson does, i can't believe he hasn't even got a test yet.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 10:36 (Ref:127046)   #15
Mosst
Rookie

Mosst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with you F1Babe. I'm no expert, but I think Justin has driven like a champion this yesr, with very few mistakes, taking risks when necessary, and giving us some exciting racing. He has led the championship for the whole of the season. What more from a driver can an F1 team ask? Yes, sigh, its money isn't it!
Old 5 Oct 2001, 22:05 (Ref:156495)   #16
bucket
Rookie

bucket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello F3000 boys and girls.

Wouldn´t you say winning the F3000 title by a country mile and getting just about every record whilst doing it deserves an F1 drive? Michael Schumacher is also in the 'best' F1 car, but noone is standing there saying that his talent didn't play a role in his victory.

There is no way to achieve what Justin achieved this year without the talent to consistently achieve good grid positions, talent to overtake when necessary, talent to stay on the track when others are parking their cars willy nilly in tyres, walls, barriers, etc, whatever the track, the weather or the situation. Can you REALLY disagree?
Old 5 Oct 2001, 22:32 (Ref:156502)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the number of drivers mentioned why not rename F3000 as F1!!! That way thered at least be more seats!!!

But seriously in the next few years or so i think drivers that deserve a shot will include:

Pizzonia, sperafico, webber, Wilson, Enge (has), Sato, Davidson, Carl Breeze, Antunucci, Long, Dahlgren, Leinders...

Not to mention Felipe Massa!!
Old 6 Oct 2001, 08:25 (Ref:156610)   #18
Mosst
Rookie

Mosst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'There is no way to achieve what Justin achieved this year without the talent to consistently achieve good grid positions, talent to overtake when necessary, talent to stay on the track when others are parking their cars willy nilly in tyres, walls, barriers, etc, whatever the track, the weather or the situation. Can you REALLY disagree?'

I certainly don't disagee that Justin has the talent for F1. He has proved that in testing, but as far a Jordan are concerned he doesn't come with the guarantee of a Honda engine does he? I think he would really enjoy CART racing, but every racing driver's ambition is to get into F1 isn't it.
Old 6 Oct 2001, 08:55 (Ref:156617)   #19
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fully agree with Rempie: Bas Leinders...
Old 6 Oct 2001, 09:20 (Ref:156625)   #20
Rempie
Racer

Yes, Bas Leinders is British/Belgian/Benelux Formula Ford champion, European Formula Opel champion, German F3 champion, etc...

The way he won these championships, however, is the most impressing part. In Formula Opel, for example, he broke the record of racing-wins in 1 season (a record that was previously held by Mika Hakkinen and Rubens Barrichello). In the Macau F3-race, he broke Michael Schumachers' lap record, etc... Not to forget that he won both those championships with Van Amersfoort Racing, a team without any experience at that moment.

Bas Leinders always impressed me, but unfortunatly, he lost a lot of time in his 2 first F3000-seasons (KTR wasn't a great team in the first year and I don't have to praise Kid Jensen Racing either). This year was a lot better, he only needed a little bit more luck during qualify/race to win races (he definitly would've done that without his car being damaged by Haberfeld in Monaco).

The door to an F1-test seems open, but there's just no money to pay for one. However, he will have another chance to attract sponsors next year, in the Premier 1 GP series.
Old 6 Oct 2001, 15:44 (Ref:156759)   #21
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i usually say, it would have to be Mark Webber. you people talk about inconsistency, but just look at him in F1 testing. hasnt had a crash yet. AND just remember that all year he has had to change his driving style to suit both F1's and F3000's, which would surely be quite difficult. Also one more thing, check out the recent barcelona testing times. he is second in the time sheets on the third day, having completed 30 laps, to Wurz in the mclaren on the top of the sheets with around 150 laps. not bad i reckon. also outpaced pizzonia in the williams, although i am quite impressed with him as well. So, to finalise my comment, i will say that the most deserving current F3000 driver is Mark Webber, closely followed by pizzonia, and Massa.
Old 7 Oct 2001, 16:54 (Ref:157139)   #22
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The questions are:

A) "who most deserves an F1 drive"

B) "Who, From the current crop of F3000 drivers , most deserves an F1 drive next season. Who will be in your top 5?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Well to me Justin Wilson is the most deserving driver this year

2) Mark Webber could be allowed to show what he is capable of at least.

3) Tomas Enge already has...

4) Ricardo Sperafico has done many F1 tests this season with Williams, so he would be my logical next choice

5) Antonio Pizzonia has also done many F1 tests this season with Williams, so he would be my last choice

Manning would be next in 6th
Bourdais, but maybe only next year, not this year.

Last edited by DanFlag; 7 Oct 2001 at 16:55.