Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 8 Jan 2003, 17:52 (Ref:467565)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New IRL screenshots!

Codemasters have released new screens from thier Indy Racing League game. man, i cannot wait!

they are all here
Old 8 Jan 2003, 18:02 (Ref:467583)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice!
But no Helio or Penske?

A link to the official site: http://www.codemasters.com/indyracingleague/front.php

Last edited by ASCII Man; 8 Jan 2003 at 18:04.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 18:07 (Ref:467588)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Penske are in there. see, Helio is on the right.

i guess they were not allowed to use the Malboro colours beacuase of tabbaco adverstising. but they used it in other games :confused: hmm.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 18:55 (Ref:467632)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
visually its amazing. It'll be interesting to see how they'll make just oval racing interesting though.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 09:19 (Ref:468251)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks good.

Interesting about the Penske colours. Usually in cases like that the colour scheme remains but they can't write Marlboro, usually something like 'Penske' is written instead.

Funny that on the website it says that there are 27 cars in the game, yet in the next line they say you can have 33 cars in a race.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 11:39 (Ref:468331)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It says that there are 6 classic bonus cars too.

Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Interesting about the Penske colours. Usually in cases like that the colour scheme remains but they can't write Marlboro, usually something like 'Penske' is written instead.
Or MclarenF1...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 9 Jan 2003 at 11:42.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 12:00 (Ref:468344)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, a game of going round in small or giant circles. I can already see the boredom!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 13:36 (Ref:468437)   #8
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know when its going to be realeased? I can't look at the Codies website at College because of the games content.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 17:13 (Ref:468612)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gray
Does anyone know when its going to be realeased? I can't look at the Codies website at College because of the games content.
April this year. No specific date is given yet.

back to the Penkse colours, i think I can explain it. There is going to be a new law which will mean that tabbaco advertising will be banned from all forms of merchandise, I found this out when I got an email from McLaren, offering special deals on all their "West" bradded clothes, models etc before there are discontinued. I guess the same law applies to video games now, but I dont see why the colours have to go as well as the logos - but I guess they have to, I was just on the indyracing.com store and I saw this model Penske- no referance to Malboro at all. its good looking though!
Attached Images

Last edited by Down F0rce; 9 Jan 2003 at 17:15.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 18:24 (Ref:468663)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks good. But left all day? At least NASCAR has Sears Point and the Glen...

Anyway, I'm playing F1-2002 right now.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 17:54 (Ref:471289)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks great...now hopefully they'll come out with a Cart sim soon! I think there's one in the works from something Chris Pook said earlier this year.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:19 (Ref:471349)   #12
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Markules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
April this year. No specific date is given yet.
April I suspect is going to be unrealistic - maybe July/August/September. They're supposed to be running behind schedule as it is, and there's talk of including online support for the console versions now seeing as both PS2 and Xbox will have their respective online gaming services in place by the time it launches.

Quote:

back to the Penkse colours, i think I can explain it. There is going to be a new law which will mean that tabbaco advertising will be banned from all forms of merchandise, I found this out when I got an email from McLaren, offering special deals on all their "West" bradded clothes, models etc before there are discontinued. I guess the same law applies to video games now, but I dont see why the colours have to go as well as the logos - but I guess they have to, I was just on the indyracing.com store and I saw this model Penske- no referance to Malboro at all. its good looking though!
That may be happening, but there's already legislation in place in most major gaming territories preventing the advertising of tobacco products in video and computer games. The colour schemes can remain, however, it's just Penske have decided to use something else.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 23:22 (Ref:471545)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, did Pook say something about a CART game?? Really!!??

About the Penske scheme shown in the screenshots, it's so similar to two CART schemes..
-1997 Hogan Racing, with Dario at the wheel and
-98-00 Patrick Racing (Visteon), with Pruett and Moreno among the drivers...

I guess they liked those two...
Old 12 Jan 2003, 12:16 (Ref:471958)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those graphics do look pretty impressive, but why oh why didn't Codemasters get a CART license instead! Way better selection of tracks compared to fifteen ovals...

Last edited by DNQ; 12 Jan 2003 at 12:19.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 17:59 (Ref:472238)   #15
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Those graphics do look pretty impressive, but why oh why didn't Codemasters get a CART license instead! Way better selection of tracks compared to fifteen ovals...
On the one hand, it would be logical, as CART has a bigger (though not exactly huge) presence in Europe, but you've got several issues, any number of which could come into play.

Probably the biggest would be the availability/cost of a CART license, as someone else may well hold the license already, or it could be the case that Codies simply couldn't afford it.

The other is the image of CART. The turmoil the series has encountered in recent times are well documented enough. By contrast, the IRL is seemingly profiting all the more from CART's continued slide. Neither the TOCA/Pro Race Driver or Colin McRae franchises are big sellers the other side of the pond, and the idea of this game is for Codemasters to tap into the American market.

An IRL game could well have simply proven cheaper and have fewer image problems.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 22:12 (Ref:472467)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
according to the offical PS2 magazine, its out in March
Old 13 Jan 2003, 00:10 (Ref:472552)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cart's back on it's feet though, and it will probably be the most stable of any of the top forms of racing over the next 2 years. But, my guess is codemasters just had an easier time acquiring the IRL license.

If I remember rightly, Pook said a game was an important part of their marketing strategy, and they wanted to make sure the people that would produce it would adequately depict the series. ...or something to those effects. Don't hold me to that...I read it from somewhere else. That said, I have no doubt it's on Cart's mind.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Jan 2003, 00:44 (Ref:472574)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
But, my guess is codemasters just had an easier time acquiring the IRL license.
I also think it's less time consuming to make ovals
Old 13 Jan 2003, 07:52 (Ref:472750)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say the main reason for making it an IRL game rather than a CART game is mainly that it has Indy, a name and race known right around the world, meaning they can sell it just about anywhere. Also, during development and when it was announced, the IRL has been the stronger series.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 12:39 (Ref:473829)   #20
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
I'd say the main reason for making it an IRL game rather than a CART game is mainly that it has Indy, a name and race known right around the world, meaning they can sell it just about anywhere. Also, during development and when it was announced, the IRL has been the stronger series.
The global presence of the series really is secondary. What Codies were looking for was a relatively inexpensive license of a popular American based series with lots of recognisable teams, drivers and engine suppliers to give them the presence in the American market that TOCA and McRae can't.

Even though the license they have will be out of date next season, the fact the 2003 IRL will include names like Green, Ganassi, Penske, Franchitti, De Ferren, Honda, Toyota, etc will probably be enough to sell the game to the masses in the States.

Of course, that IRL has the Indy 500 will make it more recognisable in the Global context, but it would have just been more of a nice extra as opposed to a major reason.

As for a CART game, they'd probably go with EA Sports, as they currently lack a sim of a popular single seater racing series in their portfolio now, and CART's increasing global commitments would be ideal for EA, and their presence in the market and ability to market would in turn offer Pook the best deal.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 18:39 (Ref:474218)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Markules
As for a CART game, they'd probably go with EA Sports, as they currently lack a sim of a popular single seater racing series in their portfolio now.
have EA lost the right to make F1 games? :confused: when did that happen?
Old 14 Jan 2003, 20:04 (Ref:474302)   #22
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
have EA lost the right to make F1 games? :confused: when did that happen?
Nope, EA are the ones doing the ditching. Last year, three games appeared with 2002 data, and EA's F1 sim are generally regarded as the weakest of the three. The only question is if they bother making one next year (when their agreement expires with the FIA) or just drop the series from their portfolio now.

With so many F1 sims, there's constantly declining revenue on each, and EA don't want to put up with that any more.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 23:51 (Ref:474591)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
EA the weakest F1 game?
Well, it didn't seem any bad to me
Old 15 Jan 2003, 08:33 (Ref:474831)   #24
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
The press were less than impressed with EA's F1 2002, and considering the availability of big name rivals on their two main markets - PS2 and PC - the only consoles where the game would be the exclusive F1 sim would be Xbox and GameCube, and that's hardly grounds to sustain a big money franchise on.