Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Sep 2003, 13:24 (Ref:729724)   #1
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Official Silly Season Thread

Well its time to begin! Bathurst is apon us and already sooo much has spred through the rumor mill. Lets make it official, the silly season has begun!

Lets see what we got...

1. TEGA's undying need to have a 32 car grid next year- meaning some people are gonna be squeezed.

2. Brock pulling his name away from PWR- Bright under contract must complete '04 with PWR with or without Brock, but will PWR remain part of Clayton and will Betta stay with PWR if they dont? From there where will Brock go. rumors suggest Triple 8 but are logistically impossible with contracts with Triple 8, Ford and The Rat etc. This also scrubs out Triple 8 becoming a Holden Team. I for one believe Brock will concentrate on AMSF for '04 to reassess his Supercar options for '05.

3. SBR and Winterbottom? Three cars, or two cars? Ambrose and Ingall have been rumored to say they feel the two car / Konica program works well for them and the team and dont want to disturb that. Having said that a Larkham Motorsport alliance has been on the cards too, running Winterbottom and Bargs in SBR built, Larko run, Orrcon BA's (A HRT/KMR set-up).

4. Supercheap and CPR. Bob Thornes money is going walkies and multiple options have come and gone but two remain strong. Supercheap money goes to a CPR third car and Ellery and his licence form an allience with an exisiting Level 1 team. Or, Supercheap stay with the Ellery Falcon and renew deals.
For the first scenario, there are two questions, 1 who will drive the Supercheap CPR car (not Longhurst), 2 what are Ellery's options.

5. Sirromet. Two cars on the cards (but still may not happen), who will drive?

6. What will be of our lesser performing drivers under fire this this year for next year like:Paul Dumbrell, Dean Canto, Max Wilson etc.

7. Team Kiwi Racing has also been linked with various alliences (mainly for its licence) do they have the support and a good enough driver in Baird to survive another year?

8. Landsvale and Noske's deal, will that continue? If not, what of Noske's options? And what are Landsvales options?

9. Toll Racing pulling out? Fact or Fiction?

10. Will Thexton continue next year after the hammering and embaressment he's copped this year?

Well there you have it. I've got the ball rolling, lets keep eachother updated... I'll keep checking my sources if you keep checking yours
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 25 Sep 2003, 17:29 (Ref:729935)   #2
Lyris
Racer

Lyris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Official Silly Season Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Archer
3. SBR and Winterbottom? Three cars, or two cars? Ambrose and Ingall have been rumored to say they feel the two car / Konica program works well for them and the team and dont want to disturb that. Having said that a Larkham Motorsport alliance has been on the cards too, running Winterbottom and Bargs in SBR built, Larko run, Orrcon BA's (A HRT/KMR set-up).
Yuck , you've got to be kidding; SBR forming an alliance with another team would involve spilling the details on all the fun little advances they've made.

You know the ones, the ones that keep them a step ahead of the rest (like knowing what they're doing and why, and building cars for themselves).

I for one am not a fan of that idea

Last edited by Lyris; 25 Sep 2003 at 17:30.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 19:34 (Ref:730060)   #3
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Official Silly Season Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Archer

7. Team Kiwi Racing has also been linked with various alliences (mainly for its licence) do they have the support and a good enough driver in Baird to survive another year?

TKR will be around for another year, they are still advancing with their 2 new VY's for the NZ domestic series and have just signed a new driver for that. They have just embarked on a tour around NZ to drum up support for Bathurst, they have had overwhelming support, fans have been signing a piece of vinyl to go on the bonnet of 021.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 22:32 (Ref:730228)   #4
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think SBR have already publicaly ruled out the LMS connection to messy to do.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 00:26 (Ref:730295)   #5
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Heard a rumour that Youlden will not be running a Konica car out of Ellery`s next year. This would be dissapointing considering the time and investment the Super Cheap team has put into him, not to mention there result at Sandown.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 01:38 (Ref:730332)   #6
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see Paul Dumbrell staying at CPR next year, he has cost Larry a fortune in repair bills this year and Larry said if Paul did'nt pick up he will be reviewed at years end.
Thexton will be there next year and i'm sure will be quicker than this year due to the experience he has gained this year.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 01:50 (Ref:730340)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1. The 32 car strategy has gone to heaven unless TEGA withholds some cash from the teams to purchase 3 franchise slots. i.e. wont happen

2. Brock will be around the sport in 2004, I understand his name will remain on PWR due to a contractual arrangement but somehow doubt he will be around a whole lot...

Not sure Nations Cup will enjoy his presence, might depend if #10 is forthcoming in November.

3. SBR will tell us eventually, but I cant seen them parting with any SBR-built hardware for other teams to prepare. Dont rule out a 4 car team out of the SBR premises just yet.

4. SuperCheap could end up anywhere, even with a program with the person in #2... it seems there are a lot of noises surrounding the sponsor, with everyone except HRT making presentations.... who knows, I bet not even Bob Thorn.

They are likely to sell off the 2 AUs into Konica

5. PMM will likely whip TEGA's arrogance into shape and run 2 cars from next year. It would be a good place for lots of drivers to go, but dont rule out the Bathurst codriver being chosen for further opportunities with the team.

6. Dumbrell has a contract for next year, exercisable by option... not sure it will be taken up, but who would replace? LP & Mezera are now too slow (based on Sandown anyway)

Canto will disappear back into obscurity, replaced by some Euro star

Wilson has a use, but not at DJR....

Whincup is contracted to GRM for2004 and for reasons best known only to GR, seems very happy with him.

7. TKR was linked with a 7th HMS car and this seems the more interesting option, and also where Murf may end up if he cant agree to terms with the Kellys

8. No reason to think Noske wont be back in 2004 under the LRT franchise, unless his budget is strong enough to run 2 cars, so they would need to punt an existing L1 from their perch.

9. This entry doesnt affect the results on the board I suppose, the on-circuit caterers may disagree Is it for sale? Probably. Is there a buyer? Probably not.

These guys also have 2 AU's that should be on the market

10. Speedy will be back with bells on The BA program is late but they have some technical agreements in neotiation for 2004.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Sep 2003, 01:56 (Ref:730345)   #8
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard of a link with HMS and TKR also. It would seen logical given their support from Holden New Zealand.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 03:06 (Ref:730378)   #9
Rulekeeper
Racer

Rulekeeper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The PB with PMM rumour is gaining a lot of strength.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 03:11 (Ref:730379)   #10
webberisgod
Rookie

webberisgod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im hoping that CPR keep Dumbrell. Hes had a run of bad luck this year, but that seems to be a bit of the norm when you run midpack / rear of the grid. he must have some tallent. Its hard to expect somone to come diving into the deep end like that and come up strong for the championsip. He needs a year or 2 to find his feet.

If this becomes a habit in the way that Canto, Dumbrell and others have been dumped, wheres the new talent going to come from? People are getting all upset about going to China, but in the converse what about all the international drivers? will we end up with a CART situation where most drivers are from overseas?

Give the guy a chance. he showed promise at Bathurst last year, he won Konica. he must have some tallent.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 03:43 (Ref:730386)   #11
Gudgeon
Rookie

Gudgeon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am forecasting that 888 will keep the Rat and replace Canto with Rydell FPR to continue running 3 cars with an extra Konica Car for Canto SBR to obtain a level 2 Franchise to run Whincup PMM to continue with a 1 car operation until the legal action is finalised Ellery to remain with Supercheap and continue to run Youlden in Konica Murph to replace Dumbrell at CPR The Kelly boys together in Dads team Bright to become Skaifes team mate again Seton to retire after an illustrious career BJR to lose the OZEMAIL funds and struggle to replace this.
Paul Weel to have Marcus Marshall as new team mate DJR to keep Junior and Max Noske to Change to holden Tratt to become a driver in a 2 car team with Toll support
Old 26 Sep 2003, 04:12 (Ref:730396)   #12
smithers
Racer

Australia
smithers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of those things sound possible.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 04:12 (Ref:730397)   #13
harderfaster
Rookie

harderfaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic

Canto will disappear back into obscurity, replaced by some Euro star

Wilson has a use, but not at DJR....
Wilson to 888 replacing Canto?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 04:13 (Ref:730399)   #14
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody agree on anything?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 04:14 (Ref:730400)   #15
smithers
Racer

Australia
I think 888 are looking towards Europe for a driver.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 04:20 (Ref:730401)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You know some of the words as written by the esteemed Gudgeon would have got people shot not that long ago....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Sep 2003, 04:52 (Ref:730409)   #17
Blueprint
Rookie

Blueprint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Gudgeon you may be slightly wrong there, Ozemail and JB have re-newed their contracts to my knowledge.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 05:25 (Ref:730418)   #18
smithers
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Blueprint
Sorry Gudgeon you may be slightly wrong there, Ozemail and JB have re-newed their contracts to my knowledge.
If that was the case (and i am not doubting it is) wouldn't there have been a press release ramming down GTR's throat?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 05:27 (Ref:730419)   #19
Blueprint
Rookie

Blueprint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know about that one, sorry
Old 26 Sep 2003, 05:35 (Ref:730424)   #20
smithers
Racer

Australia
Personally i'd be shouting high and low if i'd resigned the money and driver. Press releases, photo shoot's the lot.
Then i'd be lining Mr Magic up in my sights and asking him to restate his allegations, then shoving the truth so far up his
But that might just be me.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 05:42 (Ref:730426)   #21
Lyris
Racer

I know Enzed re-signed with BJR, but I hadn't heard that Ozemail had. As a matter of fact I heard the opposite, that Ozemail were pulling out of all of their sponsorships, for everything (something to do with the parent company eating lots of aussie $$), so I'm gonna go with Gudgeon on this one.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 05:47 (Ref:730428)   #22
smithers
Racer

Australia
Well I hope they have both re-signed.

Where did you hear they had Blueprint?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 05:56 (Ref:730433)   #23
paydriver
Rookie

paydriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sitting around the lunch table at BJR in Albury most likely Smithers.....

Or its a deflection to mask that the signing isnt taking place, but the team is working its tail off securing replacement dollars.

Go the smoke and mirrors!!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 06:00 (Ref:730437)   #24
Lyris
Racer

Smithers are you having an anti-GTR day or what?????

Personally I'm hoping that it's the other way 'round and GTR gets to ram it so far up Bradley's that Bradley can't sit in a car for the whole of next season

Last edited by Lyris; 26 Sep 2003 at 06:02.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 06:00 (Ref:730438)   #25
harderfaster
Rookie

harderfaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by smithers
Personally i'd be shouting high and low if i'd resigned the money and driver. Press releases, photo shoot's the lot.
Then i'd be lining Mr Magic up in my sights and asking him to restate his allegations, then shoving the truth so far up his
But that might just be me.
Smithers, I know for a fact that JB was approached (or was that attempted poach?) by another team that was mentioned by GTR. In fact I was told this by a BJR employee.
Closed Thread