Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jan 2016, 01:19 (Ref:3602953)   #51
gravin
Rookie

gravin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhat processional IMHO.

I would like to see less aero and more rubber if possible.

Free tyre choice within the allocation of tyres would be interesting too I think.

It would make strategies more interesting and allow some teams to use the pace they have on a particular tyre to their advantage.

Although it may not make a difference, I would also like to see the pit entry closed during a safety car.

Last edited by gravin; 8 Jan 2016 at 01:25.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3602996)   #52
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Every car pitting at once under race conditions is more dangerous than cars racing back to pits.

the pits are inherently more dangerous than having Marshall on the track doing clean up.

The ratio of near misses in the pits compared to near misses with Marshall on the track is significantly more
How is every car pitting under race conditions more dangerous than every car pitting under yellow flag conditions???
Old 8 Jan 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3603015)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
How is every car pitting under race conditions more dangerous than every car pitting under yellow flag conditions???
because often they dont all pit at once because of strategy, although i ackwoledge that sometimes they do, but when they come out they are still in a reduced level of driving, ie, no passing.

History shows the pits are more dangerous than a marshall con the track

Can you think of an incident in v8s where we have had a marshall on the track near miss?
Old 8 Jan 2016, 14:26 (Ref:3603066)   #54
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The tracks are the same width they've always been, and the dimensions of the cars aren't much different to what we have seen for the last 20-25 years either

It's the ruleset & car specs that have made it hard to pass, it's got nothing to do with what tracks they go to

They had a pit stop window until the end of 2008. Everyone just pitted as soon as the window opened.
You've kind of missed my point on the track widths - I know they or the cars haven't changed. I was just stating the fact that a lot of the tracks are narrow and twisty and these are big cars who perhaps now have outgrown them. It's a factor - particularly when the V8's are practically a 1 make championship so there's no situation where car A has more power than car B and can blast by on a straight but car B is better in the twisties and can brake later - thinking back to the M3's vs RS500's and Holdens in years past.

The V8's raced in Bahrain a few years back and it's crap track for F1 but was brilliant for the V8's - the layout was such that a defensive line at one corner left you exposed at the next. Cris-crosses all over the place and room to pass.
Old 9 Jan 2016, 01:56 (Ref:3603253)   #55
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
You've kind of missed my point on the track widths - I know they or the cars haven't changed. I was just stating the fact that a lot of the tracks are narrow and twisty and these are big cars who perhaps now have outgrown them. It's a factor - particularly when the V8's are practically a 1 make championship so there's no situation where car A has more power than car B and can blast by on a straight but car B is better in the twisties and can brake later - thinking back to the M3's vs RS500's and Holdens in years past.
I don't think i have missed the point

Watch the V8Supercar races at tracks like Winton in the 1993-2000 period. Parity was the name of the game in those years and we still had great racing there. The way the regs have gone now with CotF has spoiled the racing particularly at these tracks. It shouldn't be up to the tracks to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
The V8's raced in Bahrain a few years back and it's crap track for F1 but was brilliant for the V8's - the layout was such that a defensive line at one corner left you exposed at the next. Cris-crosses all over the place and room to pass.
Thats an interesting viewpoint.

In Australia at least, the V8 races on tracks like Albert Park, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and China have been widely panned in the past for producing boring racing, with the tracks being too wide and open to produce interesting racing.

The popular belief for a while has been that V8Supercar produces its best races on street circuits, and indeed some have argued the rules have been designed to cater particularly to these types of tracks in some ways.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 01:47 (Ref:3603414)   #56
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
because often they dont all pit at once because of strategy, although i ackwoledge that sometimes they do, but when they come out they are still in a reduced level of driving, ie, no passing.

Can you think of an incident in v8s where we have had a marshall on the track near miss?
Probably because communication between the marshalls and race control alert the marshalls to where the field is, when they are under saftey car and when to safely do their job. Though I can recall a marshall in Adelaide at turn three one year trying to get off the track and tripping over himself while the field were approaching....

They usually all pit under yellow these days. Gives everybody the chance to reset with equal fuel and newer tyres. Even double stacking is preferable to doing another lap. And they're still restricted to 40kph in the pits safety car or not. So whats the difference between the field pitting under yellow or the field pitting under race conditions? They're still travelling at 40kph in the pits. Under safety car you still have drivers speeding to get to the safety car congo line and to catch the congo line after they've pitted.

Once the safety cars deployed, let them form up behind it, including safely releasing the ones who were already in the pits when the safety car was called and let them stay there until the safety car is recalled. It's a team sport, use team strategies that don't rely on free kicks by the entertainment vehicle.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3603783)   #57
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It had it's moments but overall seemed kind of meh.

You get that every once in a while though.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 11:28 (Ref:3603999)   #58
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Hidden Valley 2006.

Mr Not-so-Athletic marshall almost got cleaned up by ?Frosty
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 13 Jan 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3604371)   #59
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Hidden Valley 2006.

Mr Not-so-Athletic marshall almost got cleaned up by ?Frosty
Skaife