Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Nov 2011, 02:15 (Ref:2993278)   #101
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Lol.......you're another one.........commodore cup, hooray! You beauty! We won!!!......
And you can for the same for Formula frod.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 02:30 (Ref:2993279)   #102
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
And you can for the same for Formula frod.
Not likely........FF is an international category anyway, a stepping stone for those that aspire to bigger things in open-wheelers.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:54 (Ref:2993338)   #103
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoaair707 View Post
Atleast I can go to the track and watch Commodore cup.When is the XD/XE/XF Falcon cup coming to a track near you.What about an XA/XB/XC Falcon cup,no,but I see HQ's out there.
TBH, I reckon HQ's and Commodore Cup goes beyond Ford/Holden rivalry, both are great classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoaair707 View Post
The Kelly/Lowdnes thing was purely a racing incident like any other round with no malice and he copped the same penalty as with any other round of the championship.Bet you wouldnt be still complaining after all these years if the table was turned.The history book has been written,get over it and move on or turn of the tv and watch something else
Yeah, but was it just? I mean, that year, RKelly drove at an ultra-conservative mode for the whole season, in a car that was capable of winning a lot of races, as his team-mate showed. Then, when it came to the crunch, where he could stand up, drive like a champion and claim the title with some credibility (which he didn't have), he drove like a spud! Which resulted him knocking Lowndes off. He was rewarded for a whole season of poor driving/racing. A very unsatisfying season for all motorsport fans, me thinks.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2993351)   #104
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Yeah, but was it just? I mean, that year, RKelly drove at an ultra-conservative mode for the whole season, in a car that was capable of winning a lot of races, as his team-mate showed. Then, when it came to the crunch, where he could stand up, drive like a champion and claim the title with some credibility (which he didn't have), he drove like a spud! Which resulted him knocking Lowndes off. He was rewarded for a whole season of poor driving/racing. A very unsatisfying season for all motorsport fans, me thinks.
Basically what happened WAS a racing incident. Todd Kelly was involved too but I think its a stretch to say any malice was there. Too many cars trying to fit into one space.

You could say exactly the same thing about Russell Ingall's championship too. The points system at the time rewarded conservative, consistent driving and that's what people did. Everyone played to the same system so you can't fault someone for driving in a way that suits the system.

That points system was a reaction to HRT winning everything, and although people screamed for change, I don't think anybody thought the outcome was just.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2993368)   #105
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Basically what happened WAS a racing incident. Todd Kelly was involved too but I think its a stretch to say any malice was there. Too many cars trying to fit into one space.
Did we forget the 'team' instructions on that day .......?

IIRC.... "Win it or Bin it.... we don't need this one after today..." (or similar)
Old 30 Nov 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2993428)   #106
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Perhaps not malice, but poor driving was rewarded, cant put up with that poo. A very unsatisfying season/end of season.

Quote:
You could say exactly the same thing about Russell Ingall's championship too. The points system at the time rewarded conservative, consistent driving and that's what people did. Everyone played to the same system so you can't fault someone for driving in a way that suits the system.

That points system was a reaction to HRT winning everything, and although people screamed for change, I don't think anybody thought the outcome was just.
In the "Does the points need changing" thread, believe it or not, I posted the same thing.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2993431)   #107
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Perhaps not malice, but poor driving was rewarded, cant put up with that poo. A very unsatisfying season/end of season.
The fact is though that punishment for racing infractions cannot take into account the secondary impact of those actions. Lowndes got spun and R.Kelly got a PLP for it. Its the same as if you tip someone off the track and destroy a $250k car, you get the blanket penalty.

We could debate this til the cows come home, but what's in the history books is what happened.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 06:44 (Ref:2993805)   #108
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
No need to debate it, I know you're right.