Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Nov 2011, 03:45 (Ref:2989415)   #26
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The smart move for whincup would be the Commodore Cup and doing the shannons national series....
Old 21 Nov 2011, 03:55 (Ref:2989416)   #27
wjk98
Rookie

Australia
In the garage working on the racecar.
wjk98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a number of top line teams chasing budgets to run cars next year including Childress and Roush even if there was a desire for Whincup to move to Nascar the backing just may not be there. These sponsorship problems obviously filter right down thru the ranks.
Ambrose was assisted by Ford and it was prior to the GFC which has impacted on sponsorship budgets.
I don't see the same connection with a manufacurer for Whincup to benefit from and unless he can get someone to guide him thru I think it would be very difficult these days
I guess the question is would Whincup want to start out again slugging it out on short tracks in Late models possibly then trucks etc for a possible shot at NASCAR.
With the world economy the way it is I think Whincup really does'nt have any options other than V8 Supercars if he wants a reliable paycheck.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2989438)   #28
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whincup has talked and talked of overseas adventures but there doesn't seem to be alot of serious negotioation going on to make it happen, atleast Ambrose didn't come forward with his plans until he was prepared to make it official.

T8 is at the peak of their powers and just like TWR & SBR they will fall, someone else will step up, V8SC isn't any different to other forms of motorsport, with the challange of COFT in 2013, holding onto their domination is just around the corner its hard to see him leaving with the competition about to step a bit closer.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2989794)   #29
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I am Jamie Whincup, I am getting my manager to make a phonecall to Toyota Australia to see what they know about the parent company's shiny new Le Mans program...

Also, does the champ still have ties to Merc? DTM anyone?
Old 22 Nov 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2989826)   #30
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Well, Whinky was asked the question on Saturday's telecast and was very non-committal on his future plans.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 03:20 (Ref:2991090)   #31
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's an interesting point that australia doesn't really have a progression beyond V8S and the big guns are forced to go overseas.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 05:37 (Ref:2991115)   #32
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemuscle308 View Post
It's an interesting point that australia doesn't really have a progression beyond V8S and the big guns are forced to go overseas.
there has to be a top somewhere
Old 26 Nov 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2991619)   #33
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that there is no clear leaning as to where JW should go, suggests that much to some peoples annoyance V8 Supercars is a premier circuit racing category.

V8 Supercars are also on the rise, not on decline.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2991681)   #34
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I think Mr Whincup's next move will be an interesting one.

From all appearances, Mr Whincup's speed comes from a meshing of a very strong engineering package from the team, an engineer that knows how to interpret the feedback from the driver, and a 100% commitment from the pilot to focus solely on motor racing.

If you break that down a little, Mr Whincup wakes up on every race weekend knowing that his race car will be at or close to the best on grid every time he goes out. Its a confidence builder for sure. Plenty of resources, plenty of smart blokes, plenty of spare parts.. great spot on pitlane.. plenty of commitment. And love.

Does going to the same circuits every year with the same setup in the book from the year before with ostensibly the same car as the year before really continue to float his boat?

Would Mr Whincup feel the same if he 'did a Lowndes' and showed up at somewhere like LDM, and had the challenge of bringing a smaller team to the front? Could he do the business from a smaller team, without 40 people with serious engineering degrees and aerospace experience? Does this even interest him?

Mr Whincup is known in the sport as a bit of a data junkie.. of taking his MoTeC squiggly lines home on his laptop, overlaying his teammates' results, last year's results, anything he can get some kind of guide on.. and trying to learn more about taking a different approach to corners, to lines on the straights.. to doing things a different way, to see if it yields a gain.

But how would Mr Whincup go in a series that is completely data systems free, like NASCAR? Where the experience a driver has is a closely guarded secret in terms of setup, where a crew chief has to interpret what the driver is saying, and modify the myriad settings options based solely on those thoughts, and feedback as to their success or failure from the same source. Is Mr Whincup any good at setting a car up, or more accurately, tuning a car from an existing setup without the benefit (crutch?) of data acquisition tools?

The biggest factor in racing anywhere is the sponsorship backing that affords a driver the luxury of being a race car driver in the first place. Does Mr Whincup enjoy meeting fans, signing autographs, doing media work, glad handing sponsors in order to keep his show on the road? Some say he isnt very good at this side of the sport, his customary patter is repetitive, dull and not particularly engaging. Mr Whincup has written on occasion that he is overloaded with promotional activity, sometimes calling the load "disgusting". Does this suggest that the pilot does not appreciate how the bills are paid?

What does any of this mean? Well there is no doubt Mr Whincup is a multi time V8Supercar championship winner, a multi time Bathurst winner. And that at the height of his powers, in a team at the height of theirs, he is extremely strong.

How do you land a role in another series that offers similar opportunities? DTM fits well enough, with cars designed by NASA and run by them.. with a win centric focus.. largely free of sponsor requirements, with the manufacturer fulfilling most of the financial commitments, and some other brand on there for the show... Plenty of data around, maybe not so many teammates willing to be open and help though.. the challenge of new tracks.. a new country (the $125k wakeboard boat would have to stay in the garage on the Gold Coast) to live in...

In the same way, I dont know if NASCAR would be good for Mr Whincup, the lack of pure technology to aid the development process might be a hindrance to his success too.

Sportscar racing is a good way to make a living as a pro driver, the likes of Mr Simonsen runs in several series for different teams, earning kudos for his performance, and an income to maintain the lifestyle... but its a tough gig, with many many competitors for the same seats, and programs that can warm up and go cold at the whim of the patron..

Can/has the connection been made? Mr Lowndes & his management have gone out of their way to engage the Audi people, and some use of the McLaren/Mercedes links as well.

Does Mr Whincup's manager have the connections to even knock on the door of the guys at Mercedes, at BMW and ask about a DTM test with a view to a permanent ride?

Too many questions..
I can't see the DTM being another step, it's just V8's but worse. WEC in a factory prototype would be a perfect fit, especially as the number of available races is rapidly becoming higher. And he's exactly the sort of driver you'd want in your car if you're a factory team - extremely quick, very safe, dedicated and knowledgeable.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2991714)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'Whincup To Be One of The Greatest" - Skaife
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Nov 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2991832)   #36
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR or stay in V8's... Wouldnt bother with WTCC, Sportscar or GT, dont think he would either!
Bettering Ambrose could be a challenge - aswell as racing Daytona, Indy, The Glen infront of large crowds & TV audiences.
I would love to see him go over to the US - he bores me in TeamVodafone because he/they are a step above the rest!
Old 27 Nov 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2991848)   #37
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
WEC in a factory prototype would be a perfect fit, especially as the number of available races is rapidly becoming higher. And he's exactly the sort of driver you'd want in your car if you're a factory team - extremely quick, very safe, dedicated and knowledgeable.
I agree with you. In another post, Sportcars weren't considered a step up because of a lack of depth, as far as drivers and teams are concerned, but, if I were him, I would love to work with a major manufacturer serious about developing a car and winning big races. From that point of view, Sportscars are a step up.

Having said all that, I think the only thing that's left for Whincup to do, assuming he knocks off the title next week, is to lead a pairing to a Bathurst win. As much as you can say Steve Owen and Andrew Thompson are weak, I think 888 are always going to give him the weaker driver of the two they hire for the enduros, the stronger driver going to Lowndes of course. All this despite Whincup being the better performer for five seasons.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2994555)   #38
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trash Talk!

Whincup is not that good, says Greg Murphy

Quote:
NEVER one to pull his punches, V8 enforcer Greg Murphy has belittled the achievements of Jamie Whincup by claiming the Holden driver would win the Supercars championship because of his car, not his talent.

Greg should know. He's raced a 888 VE
Old 2 Dec 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2994561)   #39
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post

Makes you wonder what he thinks of Lowndsey then
Old 2 Dec 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2994565)   #40
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Makes you wonder what he thinks of Lowndsey then
He did mention him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Murphy
"Unfortunately, in this game everyone thinks that he and Lowndsey are the best drivers in the world and that they are better than everyone else," Murphy said.

"They're not.
Don't worry though, COTF will even things up I am sure
Old 2 Dec 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2994567)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post

Quote:
NEVER one to pull his punches, V8 enforcer Greg Murphy has belittled the achievements of Jamie Whincup by claiming the Holden driver would win the Supercars championship because of his car, not his talent.

Maybe Mr Murphy doesnt count himself in the 10 drivers who could do as good a job
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Dec 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2994572)   #42
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
"With Whincup and teammate Craig Lowndes set to quinella the championship, Murphy said Team Vodafone's success had become boring and was harming the sport."

I like the above quote from Murph........that's pretty much the message I have been trying to get across, but I might delete "Team Vodafone's" and insert "holden's".
Old 3 Dec 2011, 02:04 (Ref:2994638)   #43
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trash talk is interesting and good for the sport...but what are 888 meant to do, hire 2nd class drivers because "the cars and the team will make them win"?
Perhaps Murphs lap from the gods wasnt that great, because his car was good...not him? And he was in prime HRT gear at the time!
Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2994723)   #44
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Trash talk, interesting and good for the sport? I'm not sure about that...in fact...no. A genuine rivalry where trash talk adds to the rivalry? Yes! A genuine rivalry between 888/Lowndes/Whincup and TKR/Murphy where trash talk adds to the rivalry?...Yeah. as if that's going to happen!

Anyway, it s**** me when some idiot palms off someones else's success because they are in "the best car", for mine, only losers talk like that in the first place. And how can Murph talk in the first place? OK, I'll concede, every now and then the planets align and Murph resembles a racing driver, but the rest of the time he's average. I don't know if he won a minor series in NZ, but in his whole career in Australia he's never even come close to winning a series, let alone actually win it despite having the best cars. He comes across as a dumbarse, trash talk is cheap.

Last edited by formerf1champ; 3 Dec 2011 at 10:11.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2994754)   #45
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Anyway, it s**** me when some idiot palms off someones else's success..... but in his whole career in Australia he's never even come close to winning a series, let alone actually win it despite having the best cars. He comes across as a dumbarse, trash talk is cheap.
While I agree that Murph is a bit rich to trash talk given his recent performances in the V8's, it does make me laugh how inaccurate your post is.

In 2002 and 2003 he was second only to two of what I'm sure anyone would call "legends" of Aussie V8's (Mark Skaife and Marcos Ambrose) so hardly "never even close".

Of the current V8 drives he is 4th on the total number of wins (Behind Lowndes, Whincup and Tander) so hardly.... nowhere...

If you want a list of current V8 drivers who really have 'never done much' despite good cars/equipment I'd suggest looking at people like Jason Bargwana (7 Wins) or Steven Johnson (3 wins), both of which haven't even managed to get in the top 3 despite long careers in V8's.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2994942)   #46
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
While I agree that Murph is a bit rich to trash talk given his recent performances in the V8's, it does make me laugh how inaccurate your post is.
Laugh? Inaccurate?
Quote:
In 2002 and 2003 he was second only to two of what I'm sure anyone would call "legends" of Aussie V8's (Mark Skaife and Marcos Ambrose) so hardly "never even close".
I don't know if you started following motorsport after these seasons, I did for a long time before and can put these seasons in context. In '02 Murph may've ended up second and I can acknowledge that as a good season, but you'll see, if you did your research, that Murph was just as much chance for the title as what Daryl Beattie and Paul Romano were, the way Skaife was going.

In '03 IIRC, he benefitted from the points being heavily weighted towards Bathurst. Even if he didn't the points that year didn't allow the true result to occur, either way, he wasn't much of a threat to Ambrose, who just had to turn up for the last couple of rounds.

Quote:
Of the current V8 drives he is 4th on the total number of wins (Behind Lowndes, Whincup and Tander) so hardly.... nowhere...
On the surface, a pretty stat, however, if you did your reasearch, not that big of a deal. He's just picked up the odd win here and there over a long period of time which looks nice. He's never even dominated a part of a season, let alone a whole season.
Quote:
If you want a list of current V8 drivers who really have 'never done much' despite good cars/equipment I'd suggest looking at people like Jason Bargwana (7 Wins) or Steven Johnson (3 wins), both of which haven't even managed to get in the top 3 despite long careers in V8's.
To be fair, aside from a year or two at GRM, has Bargwanna ever had the machines to look pretty? As for SJ, you can't have a go at him because he's beyond c**p!

Actually, as I write this, you're right, I am inaccurate. In '94 Murph was a real good chance to win the FBrabham title, it went to the last race/round of the year. The problem was, Murph just doesn't have it in him and Paul Stokell did.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2994964)   #47
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think Murphy has been runner up in the series 4-times - good career compared to others who may have finished runner up once...
Old 4 Dec 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2995245)   #48
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
interview with Jamie

Quote:
Whincup was refreshingly honest when asked if he was still motivated to win more championships.
"I'll be honest and say no, not yet," he admitted.
Quote:
"Those ones are ticked off.. I've won three Bathursts, I've won three V8 championships, I've won most of the big events… there's not much left on my list so it's going to be a tough to find a new motivation next year."
Old 4 Dec 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2995267)   #49
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Murph has just made himeself look a bit silly IMO. But on the subject of what Jamie should do. I doubt he will go overseas. But It would be nice for hime to prove how good he is beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Leave 888, and go to another team. Go to Kelly Racing or GRM (Although I thin Garry has burned that bridge) take murph ride and win in a car that has not been built by 888
Old 8 Dec 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2997264)   #50
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Jamie speaks

Quote:
If I’m going to go anywhere, it will certainly be over to the US and I’ll have a look at the NASCAR scene