Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jan 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3705032)   #101
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
In Ross We Trust

Old 25 Jan 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3705080)   #102
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Ecclestone did nothing for the sport, ...
I'm afraid that this is very wide of the mark. There are many balanced summaries out there, which are much closer.

Certainly time for a change and the later era of CVC ownership where he do their bidding was not where I wanted to see the sport go.

However, Bernie is responsible for this being a popular sport. Viewing figures down, yes. His fault, maybe. Why were they high in the first place, and remain higher than most? He organised this sport, got stability for (some) teams. And got it on telly, regularly, which is why most of the people round here are even watching and now upset with him.

And then there is Sid Watkins. Sid is Bernie's 'fault'. Nothing for the sport?
Old 25 Jan 2017, 20:56 (Ref:3705083)   #103
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree 100 percent. Bernie built the sport and truly did make it globally popular. I don't take anything away from his efforts. He is 87 years old and it truly is time to retire. This is just a changing of the guard. I think this change will be be obviously different, but refreshing at the same time. Liberty's philosophy really does sound exciting doesn't it????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 Jan 2017, 07:12 (Ref:3705153)   #104
Neil Duke
Racer

Neil Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post

You're a very amusing fellow.

I am sure such as Rudolf Uhlenhaut (July 1906-May 1989, Enzo Ferrari, Louis Stanley, Colin Chapman, John Cooper, Frank Williams, Robin Herd, Ken Tyrell, Peter Berthon and Raymond Mays, the Maserati bros, Renault, Honda, et al might rather disagree!

Worth perhaps assimilating the history of Brabham and Tauranac's Motor Racing Developments Limited?

Here:

When Ecclestone finished up in sole control of Brabham, both Black Jack and Ron had departed (Tauranac stayed for one year after Brabham had departed. Gordon Murray remained until 1986.
Right,so the owners,& a few full time staff were there all year,but the travelling circus were part time,& either unpaid,or poorly paid,doing it for the glamour.Most of the others you mention had to earn money from selling cars to the public,to spend on racing.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 08:52 (Ref:3705171)   #105
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duke View Post
Right,so the owners,& a few full time staff were there all year,but the travelling circus were part time,& either unpaid,or poorly paid,doing it for the glamour.Most of the others you mention had to earn money from selling cars to the public,to spend on racing.
From such as Norman Dewey onwards, support staff have been paid.

Also-Ran teams did indeed use volunteer support staff. Not for long, of course, as they tended to fail.

See here:

(Just one citation of a number)

Of course such as Mercedes, Ferrari, Maserati made and make money from manufacturing and selling cars! Motor Racing was and remains excellent PR (If you win!) and additionally provides an advanced test bed.

Chapman of course didn't! Which led to his various financial sheenanigans.

Tony Rudd did straighten him out a bit...

BRM: Well, I cannot recall Rubery Owen making motor cars. Bits for manufacturers, yes. Tony Vandervall (Vanwall) made "Thin Wall" bearings (Shell bearings).
Old 26 Jan 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3705193)   #106
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
What if Mr E was to save Manor F1 by buying them out? That way Mr E could still be in F1?? Hmmm...

A little off topic I know, but Sergio Marchionne met with Donald Trump today.

Maybe Marchionne was asking Trump for advice on he could make Ferrari great again??
Or begging him not to hammer them for emmsions dodgyness ( aledgedly)
Old 26 Jan 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3705261)   #107
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
totally!
Old 27 Jan 2017, 02:23 (Ref:3705430)   #108
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Quite the opposite. Trump is congratulating him for being a smart businessman for working around those pesky regulations!

(Sorry, I try to not post political content, but I actually can see a potential nugget of truth in my comment above)

Richard
Old 27 Jan 2017, 03:33 (Ref:3705439)   #109
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I'm afraid that this is very wide of the mark. There are many balanced summaries out there, which are much closer.

Certainly time for a change and the later era of CVC ownership where he do their bidding was not where I wanted to see the sport go.

However, Bernie is responsible for this being a popular sport. Viewing figures down, yes. His fault, maybe. Why were they high in the first place, and remain higher than most? He organised this sport, got stability for (some) teams. And got it on telly, regularly, which is why most of the people round here are even watching and now upset with him.

And then there is Sid Watkins. Sid is Bernie's 'fault'. Nothing for the sport?
I've been following the sport for 20 years and only found out about Bernie's impact early in his career relatively recently. If you came into the sport in the late 90's or later, you probably only caught his crazy exploits in the news.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 07:07 (Ref:3705466)   #110
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
So Mr E is US$29 million richer today. Sold some of his shares in Formula 1.

Is that enough to start a breakaway series?
Old 27 Jan 2017, 07:35 (Ref:3705473)   #111
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I am possibly in a minority of one but I don't judge any sport's appeal by the sole metric of its TV coverage. I actually far preferred F1 with less than saturation TV coverage (and its consequent hysterical fandom ) because back in the day I could go and see two or three F1 races in UK , at affordable prices and wander around the paddock as I wished .

I don't especially enjoy TV motor sport and am amazed so many people do. Being spoon-fed 2D images which the director has decided I should see and being told what I am seeing by some over adrenalised commentator does not good entertainment make.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3705508)   #112
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I've been following the sport for 20 years and only found out about Bernie's impact early in his career relatively recently. If you came into the sport in the late 90's or later, you probably only caught his crazy exploits in the news.
You make a very salient point and I am sure this is why so many are critical of Bernie. I have been around the sport throughout this era and see the vast changes that have come in Motorsport as whole, not all them because of him of course.

Certainly in the '50s we could not have envisaged the world of F1 as it now exists

He changed the way F1 was run in mid 20th century to the present model and it is now up to the new triumvirate to change it to a 21st century model.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3705571)   #113
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
So Mr E is US$29 million richer today. Sold some of his shares in Formula 1.

Is that enough to start a breakaway series?
No, but he could help the Manor team survive rather than allowing his kids to squander all of his money ..
Old 27 Jan 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3705619)   #114
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
No, but he could help the Manor team survive rather than allowing his kids to squander all of his money ..

+1

Certainly Manor are more frugal with the dosh, but then they need to be
Old 27 Jan 2017, 23:34 (Ref:3705684)   #115
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Agree.

I had this crazy thought the other day, where Ecclestone and Dennis buy out Manor. And in 2020, won the constructors and drivers championship! Wouldn't that be a story for F1!?
Old 27 Jan 2017, 23:38 (Ref:3705685)   #116
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The worst part about Bernie being sacked, we won't see his daughters Tamara and Petra around anymore!

Old 28 Jan 2017, 01:35 (Ref:3705701)   #117
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They're not that good looking, to be honest.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3705719)   #118
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
You make a very salient point...
I don't know if that's true because I had to look that up.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3705721)   #119
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
They're not that good looking, to be honest.
Look again when you get my age!
Old 28 Jan 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3706219)   #120
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes Mike, but I think the Father in law would be a pain in the ass...
Old 28 Jan 2017, 23:53 (Ref:3706268)   #121
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Yes, this is a reason why someone might not understand the context especially if there hasn't been any research, not even google or Wikipedia. Such a sweeping statement made in a public place is likely to be rebutted.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 00:33 (Ref:3706310)   #122
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
The boy actually did really well to earn his money...It needs a revamp which he is not prepared to do. Bit like my Mum, at 89, she wouldn't upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10...
Old 29 Jan 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3706828)   #123
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
She was right, you know. Windows 10 is pretty terrible.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3706888)   #124
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
She was right, you know. Windows 10 is pretty terrible.
Windows 10 is excellent for gaming, though with the 64 Bit version of XP you didn't need an a emulator to play DOS games but I digress.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 14:46 (Ref:3707023)   #125
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Goodbye! At Last...

I'm annoyed my Atari St emulator won't work properly on Windows 10. If only there was one of those things that could adapt it