Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:40 (Ref:848095)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Things that should (could) have been....

....Just for fun!!

Looking through old Formula 1 magazines and the like and i've come across little snippits and articles that quite frankly, now that they haven't happened, some of those articles seem so laughable!!

Here's a couple that i came across.....

Montoya to race for Frank

JPM, the Williams test driver, is believed to already have a race contract for next year (1999). With JV now thought almost certain to leave the team at the end of this year, such a decision would give Montoya a year to acclimatise to F1 before the arrival of BMW in 2000. Jarno Trulli may get the other seat.

Zanardi for Ferrari next year

If Michael Schumacher leaves Ferrari at the end of the season, favourite to replace him is Champ Car ace - and former Lotus F1 star - Alex Zanardi. One source in Barcelona insists that the deal for Schuey to join McLaren in 1999 is already in place

(Both articles from F1Racing June 1998)

So, what other gems can you remember from yesteryear that once seemed possible, but now seem ludicrus?

Btw, please quote source also

Last edited by Mr V; 23 Jan 2004 at 11:41.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:44 (Ref:848098)   #2
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sounds good, i think i might have to try to find some old autosports!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:47 (Ref:848102)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Too Late V, I had a bumch of them but deleted them a while back. Some of the speculation is just silly.

I've read some reports than list Montoya as a potential WDC, I mean, what drugs are they on?
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:01 (Ref:848118)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
seriously WRex!!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:23 (Ref:848134)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I was kidding of course. But the Journo's do come up with some every now and again.

I love the "from a close source inside the team" ones. You gotta be thinking that 'source' is laughing his ass off when the idiot actually prints it.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:48 (Ref:848151)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just reading that above and comparing to the last year, nothing really changed. Jacques has been linked with all top teams before fall into obscurity. JPM has been in every rumours swapping him with DC for 2004. Massa was the "man" to replace RB in Ferrari all trough the year.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:50 (Ref:848153)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...not to mention the usual Jos the boss stuff...
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:51 (Ref:848156)   #8
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id like to see some of the talk which goes on in just this forum. Surely a lot of the now laughable stuff said would have to be about the MP4-18
Old 24 Jan 2004, 00:34 (Ref:848896)   #9
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, you only have to go back a couple of days at grandprix.com.

Last edited by santori; 24 Jan 2004 at 00:35.
Old 24 Jan 2004, 17:26 (Ref:849434)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just found this article by Alan Henry in the December 1997 issue of F1Racing........

Almost there? No doubt about it, McLarens 1997 season was a good one. But are they ready to make '98 a great one? Alen Henry remains unconvinced....

.....McLaren and Mercades ultimately need to secure (Michael) Scumachers services if they are to improve on their current outside chance of winning a world championship in the foreseeable future

Hindsights a wonderful thing
Old 24 Jan 2004, 17:28 (Ref:849438)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bet you wont find an article where he eats humble pie!!!
Old 24 Jan 2004, 17:42 (Ref:849449)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there was an article on f1-live.com some time back )its disappeared :confused: ) that Senna was interested in joining Ferrari for 95!

now that wouldve been something!! Senna, MS in the same team.. though on could argue that Ferrari wouldnt have gotten MS then!
Old 24 Jan 2004, 23:52 (Ref:849699)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a rumour around Canada 2002 that said Ferrari was interested in Pedro de la Rosa. Even Pedro dismissed the rumor, saying that "I don't have the time or patience for such stupid things"...
Old 25 Jan 2004, 00:18 (Ref:849725)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
there was an article on f1-live.com some time back )its disappeared :confused: ) that Senna was interested in joining Ferrari for 95!

According to an article i read in Autosport, Senna did sign a letter of intent to drive for Ferrari for the 91/92 (??) season

It remained his dream to drive for the prancing horse, even if that was his last ever race in F1.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 02:05 (Ref:849788)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reember reading that, was quite a while ago now so I cant remember exactly what was alleged to have supposedly been a possibilty of maybe occuring.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 02:08 (Ref:849789)   #16
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found an Autosport from the 70s which has a Ferrari 8 wheeler
Old 25 Jan 2004, 12:29 (Ref:849941)   #17
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jos Verstappen to Ferrari for 2000? Remember that?
Old 25 Jan 2004, 12:34 (Ref:849946)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
I found an Autosport from the 70s which has a Ferrari 8 wheeler
I was talking to ST about this the other day.

I don't think the eight wheel ever existed, it was a design excercise to keep the deisgners thinking.

Lauda did test a six wheel car, the 312T6. It had four rear, mounted in line, like two truck wheels side by side. (It was hence much too wide for the regs, but was only a development).
Old 25 Jan 2004, 20:31 (Ref:850219)   #19
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Verstappen to Ferrari in 2003. Apparently Michael had been making some noises about his "good friend Jos" during the 2002 season.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 10:05 (Ref:850767)   #20
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My favorite is the oft quoted
Quote:
"I think that Williams will improve and Ferrari will win less races in 2002!"
Patrick Head, we love you

Last edited by Hazza; 26 Jan 2004 at 10:08.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 11:28 (Ref:850883)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
According to an article i read in Autosport, Senna did sign a letter of intent to drive for Ferrari for the 91/92 (??) season

It remained his dream to drive for the prancing horse, even if that was his last ever race in F1.
In the book "The dream and the circus", Senna talks about an almost agreement for joining Ferrari. Unfortunately the car wasn't good enough and Senna wanted to win 2 others WDC, so he gave up of this dream for another time.