Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Oct 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2775295)   #1
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Helmets - Open Face or not?

cracking pictures Grant apart from the helmets it really looks very period
Old 15 Oct 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2775406)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite right Nick,one of my pet hates.Full face should not be allowed.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2775469)   #3
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
That's easy enough for you to say Terence from the comfort of an intergral cockpit. Have a little sympathy for the very good looking blokes out in the open who have to protect their looks at all costs.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2775476)   #4
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Terrence with a good head on bang in a raceMGB you could well have a delicious bite in your motolita
Old 15 Oct 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2775524)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
That's easy enough for you to say Terence from the comfort of an intergral cockpit. Have a little sympathy for the very good looking blokes out in the open who have to protect their looks at all costs.

Comte,I cannot for the life of me think who you might be refering to!

I have had the pleasure of Single Seaters in the past though.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2775525)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
Terrence with a good head on bang in a raceMGB you could well have a delicious bite in your motolita

Motolita!!! Try Momo.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2775532)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely the answer, given the popularity of historic racing, is for the helmet manufacturers to come up with a closed helmet design that allows the drivers to apply whatever 'design' they wish, including something that looks like an open face.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 23:00 (Ref:2775596)   #8
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Grant

I'm not sure why white has to come as standard? The white full faces look really...obvious. My helmets' black, and it cost extra for some reason.

Black would look at lot less garish, especially with the historic single seaters.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 06:47 (Ref:2775653)   #9
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garish, GARISH! are you saying I look Garish!
Old 16 Oct 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2775677)   #10
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Garish is a bit strong; that would be green with pink polkadots!

Hmm...now there's an idea.

Ok, modern white full face helmets with old cars presents an "interesting aesthetic juxtaposition".

How's that? Phew, I need to sit down...big words like that at this time of the morning?? No idea what it means btw.

Last edited by skentellytubby; 16 Oct 2010 at 08:23.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2775803)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
Garish is a bit strong; that would be green with pink polkadots!

Hmm...now there's an idea.

Ok, modern white full face helmets with old cars presents an "interesting aesthetic juxtaposition".

How's that? Phew, I need to sit down...big words like that at this time of the morning?? No idea what it means btw.

And you have a problem with Green with Pink Polkadot's?

Old 16 Oct 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2775814)   #12
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Gosh, sorry Terry, are those your racing colours??

Terry, don't take this the wrong way...but I don't think green is your colour if I'm honest.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2775897)   #13
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I drove an open-topped car regularly (which I don't - Spa was my first time racing an open-topped car), and speaking as a <ahem!> designer, my 'top aesthetic period helmet look design' for next season would be:

'Say what you like about that Wiseman bloke's driving, at least he always has a smile on his face when he's racing!'

I'll get my coat.....

James

Quote:
I agree Grant

I'm not sure why white has to come as standard? The white full faces look really...obvious. My helmets' black, and it cost extra for some reason.

Black would look at lot less garish, especially with the historic single seaters.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2775903)   #14
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Now THAT is fantastic.....
Old 16 Oct 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2775930)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Something like this but with a helmet included might do the job, adding some weight to James' design. Click to enlarge.

Apologies for the quality here - I just grabbed the first half visible image I found.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_16808_crop.jpg  
Old 16 Oct 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2775934)   #16
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course, another refinement might be to take inspiration from one's 'heroes of yesteryear'.

For those Lotus-racers amongst you, who fancy a bit of 'good-old-British-smoothie', may I recommend my Arai GP5 'Graham Hill edition'

Right, that's enough stupidity for one evening - I'm off to bed!

James
Old 16 Oct 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2775939)   #17
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Excellent James.

Since Sir Stirling Moss still manages to race with a helmet that looks very much like his original style of racing helmet I'm sure there must be scope for mandating a style requirement for helmets used by drivers of all open Historic cars.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 03:44 (Ref:2775979)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Gosh, sorry Terry, are those your racing colours??

Terry, don't take this the wrong way...but I don't think green is your colour if I'm honest.

Old 17 Oct 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2776085)   #19
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer View Post
Of course, another refinement might be to take inspiration from one's 'heroes of yesteryear'.

For those Lotus-racers amongst you, who fancy a bit of 'good-old-British-smoothie', may I recommend my Arai GP5 'Graham Hill edition'

Right, that's enough stupidity for one evening - I'm off to bed!

James
So where's the link to your ebay shop James?

I WANT ONE!!

Do you do a Danica Patrick?

Three....two.......one - and into the "Lighter Side"!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2776093)   #20
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, the moustache just doesn't sit right.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2776098)   #21
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Wow, we have our own thread for our bizarre ramblings!!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2776104)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Excellent James.

Since Sir Stirling Moss still manages to race with a helmet that looks very much like his original style of racing helmet I'm sure there must be scope for mandating a style requirement for helmets used by drivers of all open Historic cars.
Nope. Sir Stirling was given special dispensation to wear his original type helmet as it is part of the 'Stirling Moss' image and trademark. He has, I'm sure, signed a clause accepting liability for doing so. His is a 'one off' and unsurprisingly a special special case; a living legend and national treasure. Sorry, but I don't think anyone else is likely to qualify!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2776106)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Wow, we have our own thread for our bizarre ramblings!!
No, that is the 'lighter side' thread. This is for helmets!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2776113)   #24
SAMD
Veteran

John, you are on a mission this morning

What is it called? operation cleanup?
Old 17 Oct 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2776116)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Something like that. Now the season is coming to a close, I'll be looking more closely at stuff. I also have one or two ideas for new threads to while away the winter months.

The helmets discussion is actually an interesting one, because with all the safety features and requirements for historic racing cars which have changed both their spec and appearance, we have not really discussed the impact on the appearance of drivers in the cockpit, even though they have been similarly affected. It's one reason (and a good one, I think) why we can never replicate history with these races.

Some of you may have noticed me over recent seasons taking pictures of helmets left lying around the pits, as I do like some of the art involved, and I might get around to putting up a few here.