Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 14 Dec 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3787039)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
the grid girl debate

It looks like the removal of Grid Girls is being considered as a future change to the sport....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42346331
Old 14 Dec 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3787041)   #2
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It looks like the removal of Grid Girls is being considered as a future change to the sport....

There's also a poll that accompanies that article with 60% in favour of keeping Grid Girls and 40% against, thus far.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3787086)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

The article does a pretty good job of summing up the issues with grid girls.

The times, they are a changin!

About a year or so ago, my local car club had a knock-down-drag-out online fight about grid girls. Our award ceremonies are generally just a bunch of people standing around as someone reads the results at the end of the event! But at larger events in the past we had some podium girls. If I remember correctly it was an anniversary year for us, so people were posting photos from older events on our Facebook page. Photos which included podium girls.

That triggered a furor of condemnation by a segment of our members in that they felt the photos were inappropriate and that the usage of the models was wrong. The fight within our club that lasted for many days. I believe positions on the topic had a strong correlation to the age of the individual.

While that was awhile back, we also have here in the US (to be honest, I don't have a good view as to how much of this is playing out globally) the watershed "#MeToo" moment. So anything that smacks of misogyny is a hot potato right now. And for some grid girls could be the poster child for that.

Given F1 is a world series, and that views globally on what is "acceptable" are probably all over the place, I think no single answer is going to satisfy everyone for sure! With that said... I expect the days of grid girls are numbered regardless of your individual opinion on the topic.

Richard
Old 14 Dec 2017, 20:28 (Ref:3787096)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am certainly of the older generation, yet I have felt for many years that the grid and podium girls were inappropriate. And they are usually made to dress in a way that is provocative in my eyes.

And the stupidity of it is that they do not add any value to the racing, which is what it should be all about. Just like all the glitz, glamour and "celebrity" on show on the grid prior to the start of the race.

I don't get this whole business about a F1 weekend being about the "show". The show should be 24 or even more cars/drivers all racing to win a gruelling race.

But then I'm just an old fart!
Old 16 Dec 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3787517)   #5
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the issue with grid (and podium) girls in the first instance is the dress or lack thereof they are made to nearly wear. While flags, names, sponsor details etc need holding, there should be no need to do so while wearing next to nothing. It's kind of ironic that it's fine for these girls to wear little but the teams go nuts about losing wings and fins because it removes sponsor space. I don't know how sponsors fit on some of the outfits the girls are forced to wear.

Personally it puts me off the thing being advertised when there's a half naked girl advertising it, more so when it's freezing cold. It's just so unnecessary.

In football there are mascots and these are not girls in Lycra but kids in replica kit.

If there is a need for someone to stand there, it shouldn't be a half naked model. It could be men, kids etc and appropriately dressed. If the thing is to see sponsors, regular clothes do that. I've never seen anyone walking around in replica grid girl kit for instance.

It's supposed to be an inclusive society these days so if people are needed to stand around holding things, open it to anyone and wear clothes with sponsor decals - replica overalls, jackets, t shirts etc.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 00:13 (Ref:3787552)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
They are an anachronism and look absurd . I remember seeing a British GT round at Oulton a few years ago with some girls trussed up like turkeys , thigh high boots etc - and it was about 40F . It looked utterly ridiculous and , frankly , embarrassing for all concerned.
my feelings exactly about the majority of the outfits on the btcc grid. one or two teams have some classy outfits that flatter the girls, the rest opt for something that makes nobody look good and at worst is indecent and offensive through no fault of the ladies themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
I think the issue with grid (and podium) girls in the first instance is the dress or lack thereof they are made to nearly wear. While flags, names, sponsor details etc need holding, there should be no need to do so while wearing next to nothing. It's kind of ironic that it's fine for these girls to wear little but the teams go nuts about losing wings and fins because it removes sponsor space. I don't know how sponsors fit on some of the outfits the girls are forced to wear.

Personally it puts me off the thing being advertised when there's a half naked girl advertising it, more so when it's freezing cold. It's just so unnecessary.

It's supposed to be an inclusive society these days so if people are needed to stand around holding things, open it to anyone and wear clothes with sponsor decals - replica overalls, jackets, t shirts etc.
it's partly the dress, but a lot of it is in the placement too. something they're keen on in the states is podium girls, literally trophy women present for the top three. so if you win, you get a girl, huh? how about trying a better way of getting the brand seen other than across the breasts and down the leg of a cheerleader in lycra?

i absolutely agree on the inclusive aspect of this. going on the grid representing a team is pretty cool, and everyone should be able to experience it at least once in their lives. also everyone should have to experience the horror that is most team kit once in their lives too

Last edited by bella; 17 Dec 2017 at 02:39.
Old 18 Dec 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3787899)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It's cheesy. Let's move on. Grid girls belong to the era of Benny Hill.

At the London 2012 Olympics, young aspiring athletes carried the competitors stuff around for them. Some of them turned out to be Olympic athletes themselves in Rio. Why cant F1 do something similar?
Old 22 Dec 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3788685)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Carolina Panthers appoint Tina Becker Chief Operating Officer.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1EC2T6

"The Panthers said Becker, who started as a cheerleader, will be one of the highest-ranking female executives at an NFL team."
Old 24 Dec 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3788922)   #9
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only the grid girls could also race an F1 car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 Dec 2017, 05:15 (Ref:3788944)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
If only the grid girls could also race an F1 car...
Sponsored by a Brewery or Distilling Company
Old 28 Dec 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3789482)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'd be interested to know what grid girls do the rest of the time. It seems to me that if, as I suspect many are, they're professional models, then they're earning a living from their looks. It would be rather a different kettle of fish if the circuit organisers got Claire Williams or Monisha Kaltenborn to dress in short skirts.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3789508)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I'd be interested to know what grid girls do the rest of the time.
quite a few of the motorsport ones do it as a way of earning extra cash. others are indeed, professional promotional models. what are you getting at?

women are being used in our sport as decoration and lust objects for men to gawp at whether they make their living out of their appearance or not. i mean, other sports that use women in the same way include darts and boxing. haven't we gone past that kind of attitude in our sport now?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 02:16 (Ref:3789533)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
quite a few of the motorsport ones do it as a way of earning extra cash. others are indeed, professional promotional models. what are you getting at?

women are being used in our sport as decoration and lust objects for men to gawp at whether they make their living out of their appearance or not. i mean, other sports that use women in the same way include darts and boxing. haven't we gone past that kind of attitude in our sport now?
Women have been used in motorsport and the automotive industry as decoration, for as long as I can remember. It's a marketing gimmick, designed to make motorsport and cars sexy and exciting. "You buy this car and you too can attract a sexy girl like this one." "Motorsport is fast and exciting, look at all the girls it attracts."

With attitudes changing, I don't think this sort of marketing has the same relevance today as it used to and there seems to be less of it. I can't remember when I last saw a car advert, with a semi naked woman draped all over it. I see the continued use of grid-girls as a hangover from this mindset and I think it will be only a matter of time, before it is also realised that the continued use of grid-girls is becoming less relevant.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 05:12 (Ref:3789547)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To change, or expand on, the question a bit...

Is there a larger issue with the grid culture in general which needs to be modernized?

Rather if grid girls are meant to attract fans then why is there a lack of fans on the grid? Instead we get the old rich guys, politicians, celebs etc. By design its a tradition steeped in exclusion as opposed to a more inclusive culture that most people now days require... a sentiment which I suppose is at the heart of the grid girl debate?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3789556)   #15
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

|Do you really want a society where a pretty girl no longer turns male heads?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3789558)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
|Do you really want a society where a pretty girl no longer turns male heads?
There's a world of difference between turning a head and putting them around as props to look at.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3789486)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'd be interested to know what grid girls do the rest of the time.
After a hard day out in latex and stockings I usually go home to my day job and tend the sheep or drive my tractor.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3789504)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
After a hard day out in latex and stockings I usually go home to my day job and tend the sheep or drive my tractor.
It's not unusual to have two jobs these days.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3789509)   #19
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Male models need to make money too. Why are we discriminating against them?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3789653)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Male models need to make money too. Why are we discriminating against them?
I'd be all in favour of half-and-half grid girls and boys. Though I think we need to be realistic about the probable gender balance of motor racing fans.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3789656)   #21
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
I'd be all in favour of half-and-half grid girls and boys. Though I think we need to be realistic about the probable gender balance of motor racing fans.
Which is what WEC do (on the grid certainly, I don't know about the paddock). They also dress them all in white jeans and a dark blue T-shirt, with a small WEC logo on them. They are also limited to holding the nations flags at the front of the grid, not in front of each car.

However...if we were to introduce male grid boys onto the BTCC grid and dressed them in lycra...well, then there would suddenly be a lot less people who want that gender balance. It'd also demonstrate just how utterly ludicrous some of the outfits are.

But if we're going down the route of a 50/50 split and sensible clothes, then I'd still make it a fan competition.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3789660)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
we're not looking at 50-50 by any means, but there's an awful lot of low key f1 and motorsport fans who are young women, particularly who don't attend races. i'd go as far as saying that the groups of young women who meet up and watch f1 together at several grands prix is probably about equal to the groups of young men... hungary in particular has a HUGE following of young women.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3789581)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could see "Grand Prix" movie as a reflect on the grid girl debate...

Last edited by Mekola; 29 Dec 2017 at 12:36.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3789586)   #24
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
The part of f1 that is the most cringe worthy is not the grid girls, although they are, but the girls lining the stairs and halls the drivers walk up to that cool-down room before the podium. Those girls aren't there for fans or to market anything. Their sole existence is to basically look like "spoils" for the victors as they do nothing but cheer for ajd smile and laugh at whatever the drivers say. It's awkward and kinda creepy.

And to the exclusion point above, I guess for grid walks where fans can walk the grid before a race, grid girls make more sense than an f1 event. There, like said, is just old rich guys and organizers and celebrities, which just makes it look more like the girls are there as spoils for the elite/rich/powerful. And to channel Dennis from "its always sunny in Philadelphia", those girls might feel an "implication", more so than if it was regular fans walking around.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3789588)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
The part of f1 that is the most cringe worthy is not the grid girls, although they are, but the girls lining the stairs and halls the drivers walk up to that cool-down room before the podium. Those girls aren't there for fans or to market anything. Their sole existence is to basically look like "spoils" for the victors as they do nothing but cheer for ajd smile and laugh at whatever the drivers say. It's awkward and kinda creepy.

And to the exclusion point above, I guess for grid walks where fans can walk the grid before a race, grid girls make more sense than an f1 event. There, like said, is just old rich guys and organizers and celebrities, which just makes it look more like the girls are there as spoils for the elite/rich/powerful. And to channel Dennis from "its always sunny in Philadelphia", those girls might feel an "implication", more so than if it was regular fans walking around.
I know what you mean about cringeworthy but they are there to market the glamour of F1.