Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Feb 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2831070)   #1
plusotto
Rookie

plusotto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRD 373 Formula Three?

I recently bought ,in Italy, a GRD F3 updated to 374 but is to be completely restored. I dont know who were the drivers of this car and i dont understand why the plaque is written 373 601 F3. I think it is wrong and that the marking is correct 373 061 F3. Help!
Old 15 Feb 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2831810)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Welcome plusotto, great questions to ask us!!

Sure someone can help.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2863334)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Dan (Rear) you know a lot about F3's don't you?

So does Chris?

Old 14 Apr 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2863355)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There may be info on GRD Chassis numbers here:
Old 15 Apr 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2863540)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would say it most certainly isnt 601, and 061 is much more in sequence with the GRD details.

Cant remember much about the GRD 373's other than Zorzi won at Monaco in one , and Alan Jones used to drive one with vigour. Others of the era in GRD's were of course Toby Brise, Henton, Larry Perkins, Tony Rouf, Richard Robarts. They were fairly widespread in 73 /74
Old 19 Apr 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2866425)   #6
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good few GRDs went to Italy for the first year of 2-litre F3, 1974, whereas only a couple stayed in Britain. 061 sounds like it could be a late 73/early 74 car. Zorzi won the 75 Monaco F3 race in a 74 car IIRC. By 74 GRDs had about finished building cars, there were far more made in 72 and 73.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2866492)   #7
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just looked on ORC.com & Zorzi's GRD at Monaco in 75 was 374 085-F3.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 19 Apr 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2866641)   #8
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 2 Racing View Post
Just looked on ORC.com & Zorzi's GRD at Monaco in 75 was 374 085-F3.
That's an assumption based on a physical observation of his car at the British GP meeting that year - described as his Monaco car - and given that I couldn't see anything in the Italian press that suggested he changed cars mid season, I think it's a pretty reliable one

Chris
Old 19 Apr 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2866647)   #9
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
A good few GRDs went to Italy for the first year of 2-litre F3, 1974, whereas only a couple stayed in Britain. 061 sounds like it could be a late 73/early 74 car. Zorzi won the 75 Monaco F3 race in a 74 car IIRC. By 74 GRDs had about finished building cars, there were far more made in 72 and 73.
060 and 061 both early 73 cars.
Problem is 061 is a known entity as a Pierre Robert F2 car, and is for sale, with chassis number at the end of the 1974 F2 season having been used most of that season

060 was Alan Jones' car, most of the season (three notes by Formula One Register, one in Motoring News), but it was very heavily crashed early in 1973 and rebuilt. This car went to Squadra Monzeglio Corse in early 1974 [Adam Ferrington saw it at Oulton on an English visit]. However Monzeglio Corse had three GRD F3s that year, from the team photo that Peter Denty was kind enough to show me. It looks like one of these was a new 374 and the other two were rebuilt 373s with new style bodywork [the fit of the tub to the body is different between the 373 and 374] - I suspect that 601 is one of these, perhaps the original Jones chassis rebuilt, rather than the one that finished the season. 601 does have early 73 cured bag tanks, which would support the 373 series theory.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2934601)   #10
racermark
Rookie

racermark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where is the Zorzi car

Hi
i own a GRD and the badge is missing. I was told many years ago that it was the car Jean-Louis Schlesser drove as a works car. later i was told it won a race in Monaco. This was all told to me by a hi-up in VanDieman. I would really like to figure out what car i have. Can anyone help.
Thanks Mark
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2934648)   #11
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermark View Post
Hi
i own a GRD and the badge is missing. I was told many years ago that it was the car Jean-Louis Schlesser drove as a works car. later i was told it won a race in Monaco. This was all told to me by a hi-up in VanDieman. I would really like to figure out what car i have. Can anyone help.
Thanks Mark
Mark, if it's a Jean-Louis Schlesser GRD it is a GRD 376 which Van Diemen took over when GRD went broke early in the 1976 season

Schlesser only did a few races with the team. He ran at Monaco but did not get beyond his heat.
Later that year he ran a few races with a works Modus, taking over the car previously used by Willi Siller.
This was not the Modus that won the Monaco GP support race in 1975 which was still being raced by Zorzi in 1976
In any case, if you have a GRD it has nothing to do with a Modus. They are completely separate cars from separate companies

If you post some photos of your car, especially of the suspension and the tub, we might be able to identify if your car is a GRD, and what year it is.

Also, whereabouts are you in the world? Is the car in Europe? UK? or North America?

Chris
Old 3 Aug 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2935490)   #12
racermark
Rookie

racermark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
I have been looking for some info on the car and found.
the SCCA logbook shows rhe make and model to be:
van-diemen VG376 004. the car is currently a CSR.
I have a picture of the F3 car and will scan and post it soon.

the car has a much bigger front hoop over the dash than the other cars i can find pics of. it had the round alu. fabricated rear wing mount on it wheen i got it but it was discarded years ago.(stupid me). i do still have the wing.

let me know what you think, if you have any info.

Racermark
Old 3 Aug 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2935566)   #13
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermark View Post
Hi
I have been looking for some info on the car and found.
the SCCA logbook shows rhe make and model to be:
van-diemen VG376 004. the car is currently a CSR.
I have a picture of the F3 car and will scan and post it soon.

the car has a much bigger front hoop over the dash than the other cars i can find pics of. it had the round alu. fabricated rear wing mount on it wheen i got it but it was discarded years ago.(stupid me). i do still have the wing.

let me know what you think, if you have any info.

Racermark
Mark
Chassis number makes sense because Van Diemen numbered their 376 separately from the GRD sequence.
How far does the log book go back? Is this perhaps the ex Dirk Wrightson/Peter Gates car which ran FC in the 70s?
What is region code and serial number on the log book?
When did you buy the car?

Chris
Old 5 Aug 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2936307)   #14
Matthew Sturmer
Rookie

Matthew Sturmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the 76 Monaco F3 race Jean-Louis Schlesser finished 9th in heat 2 and then was 13th overall in the final driving a GRD / Van Diemen 376.

From some guys I have spoken to who built the cars in period, the first chassis no 1 was sold to a customer just as it was finished, chassis 2 was used as the works car, and the subsequent chassis were built for customers.

Most of the cars ended up in Scandinavia and were used in the various F3 championships there. For more info on specific race results it is best to look at www.formula2.net as there are quite a few of the races listed from 76 with results and cars used.

What engine does your car have as this might help in identifying its history.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 13:37 (Ref:2936432)   #15
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
GRD 376 in 1976 with appearance date

3 April
Texaco Racing: Henrik Spellerberg (Ford engine, later replaced by Toyota)
Texaco Racing: Slim Borgudd (Ford engine, later replaced by Toyota)
One of these maybe a rebuilt 375

Hans Wangstre: Gunnar Nordström (Toyota engine) later used by Ingvar Carlsson, then maybe Lars Viggo Jensen, but note a Swedish source gives this as a rebuilt 375 with a chassis number 102-F3 and I've got a complete history for it.
Isn't this your car Matt?

11 April
Schlesser entered at Silverstone by Van Diemen International Race Hire but DNA

25 April
Claude Crespin at Zolder entered by Van Diemen International Race Hire, so probably the car entered for Schlesser (Ford engine)
Probably kept by Van Diemen and entered for Mario Ferraris in UK series with Toyota engine

3 July
Wolfgang Locher, at Hockenheim, BMW engine

So, if Matt's right then chassis 1 would be a new Texaco Racing car
2 would be the works rental chassis
3 would be Locher's car

Chris
Old 28 Mar 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3226170)   #16
bobdar
Rookie

bobdar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just stumbled into this thread, and have some info:

Chris Townsend asked: "Is this perhaps the ex Dirk Wrightson/Peter Gates car which ran FC in the 70s? What is region code and serial number on the log book?"

Unless Gates had more than one GRD, I would say "no" since the GRD that Peter Gates owned in the late '70's is sitting in my garage. The lineage as I know it : Car originally was a 374 owned by Alex Ribiero and raced in the 1974 Forward Thrust and Lombard series. Alex was moving to March for '75, so at the end of the season sold his transporter and the 374 to Brian Henton. Brian subsequently sold the car to Jim Fikse in the US, through Michael Gue, who has confirmed all this. Fikse installed an 1100cc BDJ for Formula C, but twisted up the car in practice at Seattle (??IIRC), and the car was rebuilt around a new tub and bodywork. The SCCA log book lists the car as a 376, probably because of the extensive rebuild. While Fikse owned the car, Michael Gilbert drove it to the 1976 FC Runoffs Championship; that is the first entry in the log book (027-823) and the only entry prior to Peter Gates. Gates bought the car in March of '77 and raced in the northeast US until the end of '78. Subsequent owners were, Modjean, Jaworski, Slyvester and Greene. I've talked with Ribiero, Gue, Fikse, Gilbert and Gates, all of whom corroborate.

If Racermark still has that wing, I'd be interested.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3230075)   #17
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdar View Post
Just stumbled into this thread, and have some info:

Chris Townsend asked: "Is this perhaps the ex Dirk Wrightson/Peter Gates car which ran FC in the 70s? What is region code and serial number on the log book?"

Unless Gates had more than one GRD, I would say "no" since the GRD that Peter Gates owned in the late '70's is sitting in my garage. The lineage as I know it : Car originally was a 374 owned by Alex Ribiero and raced in the 1974 Forward Thrust and Lombard series. Alex was moving to March for '75, so at the end of the season sold his transporter and the 374 to Brian Henton. Brian subsequently sold the car to Jim Fikse in the US, through Michael Gue, who has confirmed all this. Fikse installed an 1100cc BDJ for Formula C, but twisted up the car in practice at Seattle (??IIRC), and the car was rebuilt around a new tub and bodywork. The SCCA log book lists the car as a 376, probably because of the extensive rebuild. While Fikse owned the car, Michael Gilbert drove it to the 1976 FC Runoffs Championship; that is the first entry in the log book (027-823) and the only entry prior to Peter Gates. Gates bought the car in March of '77 and raced in the northeast US until the end of '78. Subsequent owners were, Modjean, Jaworski, Slyvester and Greene. I've talked with Ribiero, Gue, Fikse, Gilbert and Gates, all of whom corroborate.

If Racermark still has that wing, I'd be interested.
Thanks Bobdar. We know now that Wrightson's car was burned out in a garage fire in the early 1980s. It had been raced in the UK as an F3 by John Lain in 1975, but we don't know who the original user was.
Does your car still have the original GRD plate?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3230087)   #18
bobdar
Rookie

bobdar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, there is no chassis tag with the car. Info from this forum a few years back was that Ribiero's car was chassis no. 088, and I believe that to be the case.

The wing with the car is a sideboard style wing with gearbox mount--would love to find a proper setup.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 01:59 (Ref:3778921)   #19
markwrightson
Rookie

markwrightson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, just found this thread on GRD's. As Chris mentioned, yes my dads GRD was lost in a fire in 1982, and suppose to ex Mike Lain"s Imado
Watch sponsored car. As I have no info on #'s for the car, I do know my dad bought it through Mike Gue also, so question is, is Mike still around and if he might have any info on the sale to my dad. Would have been in 1977 I believe. Also noting in race results, Lains car was a GRD 375 but also mentioned it as 373 057-F3. So not sure if it was updated to a 375 or what. So, just curios if might be able to get some history on it if possible... If not no big deal..
Thanks
Mark Wrightson

Last edited by markwrightson; 6 Nov 2017 at 02:06.