Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 5 Oct 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1728654)   #1
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
kivipallur92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 Tracks

These are my first 3 track designs.I hope you like them.Comments and edits are welcome.

All tracks are clockwise.

Last edited by kivipallur92; 5 Oct 2006 at 11:02.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1728867)   #2
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If some of the track corners were loosened, then the flow would increase, and then there wouldn't perceivebly be a stop start nature.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1728902)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The first one is ok, the first half looks to be quick, The second, half...(turns 7 through 10) 4 near hairpins in a row, doesn't do anything for me.

For some reason, probably my PC the middle image hasn't opened.

The third one...less is more. The continuous esses look fiddly, change to one longer higher speed "s".
The infield section reminds me of one of the challenge tracks from several months ago.
The final section I don't see a need for that "square" section. Bypass it making a long sweeping curve down to the final hairpin.

Edit for 3rd image
Attached Thumbnails
mtx0.png  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 5 Oct 2006 at 14:55.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1729083)   #4
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say this but I don't really like any of them. They are all to square for my liking. Sorry I was no help.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1730252)   #5
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
verry angular (is that the right word?) you need to make your tracks more flowing and original, but dont worry, youl learn with time.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1730775)   #6
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
verry angular
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
youl learn with time.
So will you, you can't even spell yet.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1731811)   #7
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting these. It's always interesting to see new people post their ideas.

Concerning Track One:
The blot shape looks somewhat intriguing. Turns 1, 2, 3 and the following straight have kind of a current Hungaroring feel to them, but they look wider (mostly) than the corners of the track I compared them with, and that means faster, too, which is a good thing. The comparison ends at Turn 4, on from which Track One flows much nicer than the Mogyorod track, up to the hairpin, Turn 7. Unfortunately, Turns 8, 9 and 10 are only good for a nice blot shape, because of their stop-start-nature (one thing, which as far as my experience goes, is not well-liked by the users on this board). There is another very slow corner in Turn 13, which adds to the somewhat sorry stop-start character of Track One. If eventual elevation changes are taken into consideration, things might look a bit different for this track, though.

On to Track Two:
Again, this one has a nice blot shape. The section from Turn 12 up to the start-finish straight looks very much like that particular section from a past layout of the Circuit De Catalunya, Montmelo, Barcelona, making your final chicane look completely unnecessary. The parabolish hairpin Turn 1 is a nice idea, but the S-shaped chicane that follows right after it, looks unnecessary as well. It might be possible to find this chicaney kind of a challenge on a race simulation, but real drivers probably would complain. Removing that chicane would probably result in a nice section, all the way from the start-finish line to the kink after the 2nd hairpin. The top left finger looks like it's another concession to blot shape. And yes, the blot shape benefits from this, but that ominous thing all of us track designers strive for, the flow, unfortunately doesn't. Or maybe you've just scaled the length of the pitlane all wrongly, giving the impression that Turns 1, 6 and 8 are hairpins instead of 180 degree sweepers? It's normal to make scaling errors when beginning with designing tracks, so don't worry. But that chicane in Turn 11 is again unnecessary.

And this is about Track Three:
I like the track's first time sector and the 1st half of the second time sector, with the minor exception that the two kinks in the first sector might work better as sweepers. But the square-ish section that begins at the end of the paddock straight is more like what you'd find on a US-type street circuit. ScotsBrutesFan's idea of leaving out the section from Turn 16 to 19 is a good one. The rest of the lap on from there is OK again from my point of view, but the kink in the start-finish straight surely would make the pit wall a pretty dangerous place to be, so I'd suggest moving the pitlane to the outside of the track. Again, Track Three has a nice blot shape, but that angular shaped corners need something else.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1731826)   #8
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
Where do you find the time to post all of this?
Old 8 Oct 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1731843)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Oops, I should have lunch now.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1732000)   #10
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
Thanks for posting these. It's always interesting to see new people post their ideas.

Concerning Track One:
The blot shape looks somewhat intriguing. Turns 1, 2, 3 and the following straight have kind of a current Hungaroring feel to them, but they look wider (mostly) than the corners of the track I compared them with, and that means faster, too, which is a good thing. The comparison ends at Turn 4, on from which Track One flows much nicer than the Mogyorod track, up to the hairpin, Turn 7. Unfortunately, Turns 8, 9 and 10 are only good for a nice blot shape, because of their stop-start-nature (one thing, which as far as my experience goes, is not well-liked by the users on this board). There is another very slow corner in Turn 13, which adds to the somewhat sorry stop-start character of Track One. If eventual elevation changes are taken into consideration, things might look a bit different for this track, though.

On to Track Two:
Again, this one has a nice blot shape. The section from Turn 12 up to the start-finish straight looks very much like that particular section from a past layout of the Circuit De Catalunya, Montmelo, Barcelona, making your final chicane look completely unnecessary. The parabolish hairpin Turn 1 is a nice idea, but the S-shaped chicane that follows right after it, looks unnecessary as well. It might be possible to find this chicaney kind of a challenge on a race simulation, but real drivers probably would complain. Removing that chicane would probably result in a nice section, all the way from the start-finish line to the kink after the 2nd hairpin. The top left finger looks like it's another concession to blot shape. And yes, the blot shape benefits from this, but that ominous thing all of us track designers strive for, the flow, unfortunately doesn't. Or maybe you've just scaled the length of the pitlane all wrongly, giving the impression that Turns 1, 6 and 8 are hairpins instead of 180 degree sweepers? It's normal to make scaling errors when beginning with designing tracks, so don't worry. But that chicane in Turn 11 is again unnecessary.

And this is about Track Three:
I like the track's first time sector and the 1st half of the second time sector, with the minor exception that the two kinks in the first sector might work better as sweepers. But the square-ish section that begins at the end of the paddock straight is more like what you'd find on a US-type street circuit. ScotsBrutesFan's idea of leaving out the section from Turn 16 to 19 is a good one. The rest of the lap on from there is OK again from my point of view, but the kink in the start-finish straight surely would make the pit wall a pretty dangerous place to be, so I'd suggest moving the pitlane to the outside of the track. Again, Track Three has a nice blot shape, but that angular shaped corners need something else.
My edits:

BTW this track is based on Hungaroring.

Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1732236)   #11
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not bad, kivipallur92, not bad at all
Old 14 Oct 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1737875)   #12
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
These are my latest 2 tracks:
1)

2)
Old 14 Oct 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1737926)   #13
Yannick
Veteran

This is about the two tracks in your 2nd edition:

Track 1 of the 2nd edition looks like the best in this thread yet. Both Turn 1 and the right-hander at the end of the backstraight invite for overtaking. Plus, the section from that sharp left at the back of the paddock through the final corner onto the s/f-straight is nice as well.
But that section in between them, the 2nd time sector so to speak, kind of reminds me of that section of Hungaroring, which follows just after the chicane and leads on to the straight before the third last corner. I have to admit that that particular section is not amongst my favourites, but I don't know what could be done to your track to improve it in that particular sector, so I guess it's OK.

The blot shape of Track 2 of your 2nd edition does in a strange way remind me a bit of Elkhart Lake (Road America). That's nice ;-)
The Bus Stop type chicane is not so nice and neither is the corner that comes after it, because that's where rectangularity strikes back on this track.
The section from here to the 1st hairpin on the top right side of the diagram should actually be pretty fun to drive.
But I'd definitely pull the corner after the 1st hairpin towards the inside, to enlarge its radius and transform it into an Esse with the corner that comes after it. Something like that would flow much better.
And the section after the 2nd hairpin looks the most like Elkhart Lake, though being on a different scale.

What about altitude changes in these tracks? (I'm curious
Old 14 Oct 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1737976)   #14
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
both are pretty good, but i prefer the first one, as it looks faster. any idea about lap times and track lengths for both tracks?
Old 15 Oct 2006, 07:26 (Ref:1738163)   #15
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
Don't know the lap times , but length of first track is something like Circuito Hermanos Ricardo y Pedro Rodriguez , it's about 4.5 kms and second will be something like Road America , as Yannick mentioned , it will be ~6.2 kms.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 07:28 (Ref:1738166)   #16
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
This is about the two tracks in your 2nd edition:

Track 1 of the 2nd edition looks like the best in this thread yet. Both Turn 1 and the right-hander at the end of the backstraight invite for overtaking. Plus, the section from that sharp left at the back of the paddock through the final corner onto the s/f-straight is nice as well.
But that section in between them, the 2nd time sector so to speak, kind of reminds me of that section of Hungaroring, which follows just after the chicane and leads on to the straight before the third last corner. I have to admit that that particular section is not amongst my favourites, but I don't know what could be done to your track to improve it in that particular sector, so I guess it's OK.

The blot shape of Track 2 of your 2nd edition does in a strange way remind me a bit of Elkhart Lake (Road America). That's nice ;-)
The Bus Stop type chicane is not so nice and neither is the corner that comes after it, because that's where rectangularity strikes back on this track.
The section from here to the 1st hairpin on the top right side of the diagram should actually be pretty fun to drive.
But I'd definitely pull the corner after the 1st hairpin towards the inside, to enlarge its radius and transform it into an Esse with the corner that comes after it. Something like that would flow much better.
And the section after the 2nd hairpin looks the most like Elkhart Lake, though being on a different scale.

What about altitude changes in these tracks? (I'm curious
Can you make an edit so you can change the things that you don't like?
Old 16 Oct 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1739351)   #17
Yannick
Veteran

OK so here are my edits. Graphically, they look rather amateurish. I'm better with a pencil than with the mouse, but you'll get the drift around the corners in question anyway, I think.

Track 3 of your 1st edition: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/c67ac964.png

Track 1 of your 2nd edition:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/c52da369.png

Track 2 of your 2nd edition:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/9b792f83.png

Bye
Y.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1740370)   #18
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
What do you think about that one ?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...itmapImage.jpg
Old 19 Oct 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1741870)   #19
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
The cars couldn't fit in the paddock.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1742022)   #20
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...ndball92/a.jpg
Old 19 Oct 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1742535)   #21
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivipallur92
The blot shape says that this could be the infield of some 2 mile oval. But the location of the pitlane would be a problem then.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1743367)   #22
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
You could always just move them to the other side.