Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Jun 2016, 16:59 (Ref:3647453)   #76
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djcomix View Post
OK Simon !
I will bring some bread and rillettes.
Red wine also ;-)

In France, a meal without wine is called.....

...breakfast.
Old 5 Jun 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3647463)   #77
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
On my first year at lemans by car (1986)we stopped for supplies and got all we thought was important, ended up drinking beer and cleaning teeth in beer, did not bother with washing in it. better prepared these days
Old 5 Jun 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3647482)   #78
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
When I travel internationally (usually Asia) and get breakfast in the hotel and head toward the western food area I can never understand the appeal of baked beans in the morning. Why the heck would you want to be fighting back gas for the rest of the day after eating BEANS, in the MORNING!!! One thing I'll never understand about you fine British people.

Old 5 Jun 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3647489)   #79
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
When I travel internationally (usually Asia) and get breakfast in the hotel and head toward the western food area I can never understand the appeal of baked beans in the morning. Why the heck would you want to be fighting back gas for the rest of the day after eating BEANS, in the MORNING!!! One thing I'll never understand about you fine British people.

I quite agree, there is no place for baked beans or tinned tomatoes in a civilised breakfast.

Sean
Old 6 Jun 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3647642)   #80
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well as far as i am concerned the full monty includes baked beans, but will do fried tomato's at a push
Old 6 Jun 2016, 11:44 (Ref:3647649)   #81
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't forget to take your own Heinz beans because the beans sold in France haven't the same awful sweet taste. I checked that.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3647657)   #82
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
beans and bacon are always packed for the trip, fresh supplies will arrive with helen on Thursday evening
Old 6 Jun 2016, 12:38 (Ref:3647660)   #83
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
Chef

There is something cooking................
and I think it will be ready in time for the 10/10 meet.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3647666)   #84
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A meeting without drinks at all ?

I'm afraid it will be more and more difficult to taste some good wines and other delicate beverages (top rocket fuels) at our meeting.
What was still tolerated last year, i.e. everything but glass bottles, is strictly prohibited now by pure application of the law (introducing alcohol in a public show area is forbidden).
Yesterday, for the test day, I brought my sandwich (home made) and a 33cl can of fresh beer in my small rucksack.
The security guy at the entrance (a 6 feet tall huge tattooed Tahitian) told me that only unopened plastic bottles of water can be entered within the circuit area. So I didn't talk too much and brought my beer back to the car (parking blanc fortunately).
If we decide to make sure to have several fine drinks, we should change the place of the meeting. But where ? On a parking ? No much room between the cars. In a camping site ? Not sure several tens of persons would be allowed.
For your information, 50 cl of beer cost 7 euros at the circuit.

So I don't think I will bring again this year some Gewurztraminer, Bordeaux or anything else. Soda and fruit juice will be our common drinks, waiting for better days for next years.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3647668)   #85
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
We may have more luck bringing it from the camp site, no checks as we leave the campsite usually, will see how things are when we get down there,
Old 6 Jun 2016, 13:10 (Ref:3647675)   #86
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Don't forget to take your own Heinz beans because the beans sold in France haven't the same awful sweet taste. I checked that.
Yes, we seem to dump sugar into everything...quite a bad habit.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 15:16 (Ref:3647692)   #87
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
I quite agree, there is no place for baked beans or tinned tomatoes in a civilised breakfast.

Sean
Baked beans : no
Tinned tomatoes: only when there's no alternative
Fesh tomato: freshly picked at the height of the season, English, full size (no silly little cherry tomatoes, definitely not a tasteless, watery Dutch hot-house tomato), quartered or thickly sliced, then grilled, not fried
Old 6 Jun 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3647696)   #88
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
grilling a little difficult in the camp site
Old 6 Jun 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3647697)   #89
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
grilling a little difficult in the camp site

....but not when you have a caravan!
Old 6 Jun 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3647698)   #90
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Is that the top gear approach, set fire to the caravan and then grill the tomato's underneath, Only kidding
Old 6 Jun 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3647699)   #91
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Is that the top gear approach, set fire to the caravan and then grill the tomato's underneath, Only kidding

Not yet - I find the oven is more efficient and offers an element of control. For many pre-caravan years we used to bring a gas barbecue which was great at providing a grilled breakfast.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 15:28 (Ref:3647700)   #92
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
why should grilling be a problem?

we will be grilling a lot of meat during the whole week, or till the bottle is empty. Nice cheap french beef or pork.

and maybe a tomato with cheese.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 15:31 (Ref:3647701)   #93
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Our cooking is done on BBQ's small stoves and a cobb no grilling available on those and i prefer to fry tom's with a small amount of olive oil anyway
Old 6 Jun 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3647715)   #94
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
I'm afraid it will be more and more difficult to taste some good wines and other delicate beverages (top rocket fuels) at our meeting.
What was still tolerated last year, i.e. everything but glass bottles, is strictly prohibited now by pure application of the law (introducing alcohol in a public show area is forbidden).
Yesterday, for the test day, I brought my sandwich (home made) and a 33cl can of fresh beer in my small rucksack.
The security guy at the entrance (a 6 feet tall huge tattooed Tahitian) told me that only unopened plastic bottles of water can be entered within the circuit area. So I didn't talk too much and brought my beer back to the car (parking blanc fortunately).
If we decide to make sure to have several fine drinks, we should change the place of the meeting. But where ? On a parking ? No much room between the cars. In a camping site ? Not sure several tens of persons would be allowed.
For your information, 50 cl of beer cost 7 euros at the circuit.

So I don't think I will bring again this year some Gewurztraminer, Bordeaux or anything else. Soda and fruit juice will be our common drinks, waiting for better days for next years.
Well that sucks. I'm in Reims now and just bought two cartons of champagne. And don't forget the cans of jupiler and bottles of Orval I brought with me. Don't tell me I won't get it in the TR campsite....
Old 6 Jun 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3647716)   #95
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
And the Elixer d'Anvers for the meet!
Old 6 Jun 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3647721)   #96
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I think you will be OK vince, they always say these sort of things but it never seems to happen
Old 6 Jun 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3647722)   #97
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Well that sucks. I'm in Reims now and just bought two cartons of champagne. And don't forget the cans of jupiler and bottles of Orval I brought with me. Don't tell me I won't get it in the TR campsite....
The car is a private place so you can keep the Champagne. Keep it safe from the heat and let the bottle laid (I lived 15 years in Reims )
Old 6 Jun 2016, 20:43 (Ref:3647798)   #98
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you will be OK vince, they always say these sort of things but it never seems to happen
Campsites should be fine, but once more campsites such as Houx which are considered inside the circuit may well have issues - I just find it amazing that they'd attempt to stop a French person drinking wine from a bottle!!

Anyhow - we'll scout out the options ahead of Saturday as we arrive on Tuesday.

They were a lot more strict at the main entrance, which we never use anyway.. (the one near the Museum) - metal detector wand thingy and the ski data automatic ticket readers (they may have been introduced before this year - again as we don't use that entrance) and were lightly checking bags, but I feel that they will investigate a little more if they feel they need to.

It's really sad that those who wish to enjoy themselves in a good manner get penalised by others because of a minuscule few, but such is the way of the world these days.

I truly hope that they relax a little - but it was the most thorough they've been over the past 20 years I've been going.

We can't even sneak stuff in easily as we're not in Houx this year - Epinettes for us, which is defo outside the circuit, so we can drink as much as we like there, but not on entering... ho hum
Old 6 Jun 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3647802)   #99
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yes could be a problem for us as TR is inside the circuit, however our wine usually comes in a red barrel or a box, and no problem there.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3647805)   #100
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not 'Bleedin' Watneys Red Barrel', I hope........