Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 11 Oct 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1735395)   #76
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, Neil has already destroyed one Starrion before that one!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1735489)   #77
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I do believe it was, as I said everyone and I mean everyone who has owned it or driven it apart from the original constructer Tony (Lees?) has wrecked the thing. I used to race regularly against it and noticed if you pushed a bit hard from behind and the driver just got his foot in a nano second too soon exiting a bend, turbo comes in hard in and off into the kitty litter/armco/tyre wall etc etc. (ouch!).

Sorry Dennis did not see your post, so did Neil ever own the errant Starion. I am only guessing it was the same car.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 11 Oct 2006 at 19:20.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1735537)   #78
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascona i2000
Ron Field backed his Avenger into the paddock hill armco pretty hard. He wanted my dad to repair it but for some reason didnt do it. (cant remeber properly, i was only about 10 years old!) Someone else repaired it for him but was Ron never totally happy with it again and sold it soon after i think.
The name Derek Burt springs to mind.

Rob.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1735540)   #79
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A couple more names from the very early days. Ron field in a mega quick little avenger tiger. Bob Beumont in a lotus sunbeam. Havent heard of either for ages???
Have not heard of Ron Field or Mike Marlowe in years. Ron Field crashed the Avenger Mike Marlowe repaired it and ran it in Mod Prods I swapped it for my Prod Saloon Suzuki Swift and raced it a couple of times sold it to guy who is involved in the the Avenger and Sunbeam Owners Club who is rebuilding it at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Did a blloke called Mike Marlowe have one for a while (was it Field's old car?) before racing a Sunbeam Lotus. I seem to remember a story about a Tiger getting badly pranged somewhere and it came back out once rebuilt driven by someone else?
Mike Marlowe raced the Lotus Sunbeam before the Avenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Bit of a sad tale with that car I think, it was a Sunbeam Talbot not a Tiger and I sold him the Group 2 Rally engine out of my Talbot when I went over to Chevvies after totalling the Sunbeam at Oulton. I am not sure whether it was that car or when in Lotus guise but as I recollect someone was killed in it while driving it, cannot remember the full details.
The car was crashed at Goodwood when Mike Marlowe hired the circuit for a day and the driver (who I cannot remember the name of) died of his injuries 10 days later.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1735555)   #80
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The car was crashed at Goodwood when Mike Marlowe hired the circuit for a day and the driver (who I cannot remember the name of) died of his injuries 10 days later.
A real tragedy.

Hey you mate my have my old Group 2 engine, real good un it was bought it of a rally man Mike Biss (or Bliss quite well known).
Old 11 Oct 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1735585)   #81
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry Dennis did not see your post, so did Neil ever own the errant Starion. I am only guessing it was the same car.
Neil had an identical looking one before that, on it's first ever race, he stuck in the wall at Mallory Park and totally destroyed it. It then got reshelled into what he races now.

I'm guessing the destroyed car is the one your talking about.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1735906)   #82
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out www.rocketracing.co.uk for Rons website. In the gallery threre are two pics of old Tiger. One with my Cars predecessor behind it at thruxton.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1735940)   #83
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Check out www.rocketracing.co.uk for Rons website. In the gallery threre are two pics of old Tiger. One with my Cars predecessor behind it at thruxton.

Good link

Could've sworn he ran that Avenger earlier than that though!
Old 12 Oct 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1736143)   #84
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
Neil had an identical looking one before that, on it's first ever race, he stuck in the wall at Mallory Park and totally destroyed it. It then got reshelled into what he races now.

I'm guessing the destroyed car is the one your talking about.
Ah its dead at last then and good riddences there was something definitely wrong with that car, I bet it exited stage left when he destroyed it as thet was the usual route it took.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1736149)   #85
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Bet old Ron don't look like that anymore:-)
Old 18 Oct 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1741221)   #86
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched an old 1993 Castle Combe crash video the other night. Plenty of super road saloon action!! If anyone has pics from the "good ol days" how about posting them on here? I'm sure they would be well recieved.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 01:37 (Ref:1744510)   #87
AdeV
Rookie

AdeV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
James Aukland - Ford Capri Class A- now running with a V8, in the K&N's, not very often, I guess when the ship's in port (if he's still at sea that is...)
Yep - James is still regularly at sea (as I write, in fact). He's been convinced not to drive his capri *quite* as sideways as he used to, but he still prefers looking out of the side windows I think.

Quote:
Ralph Underwood - Class A Rover - had the Rover destroyed - then built a TR7-V8 which he ran in K&N's. Not seen for a while.....
Ralph's been out a couple of times this year; he recently got a real speed-attack at Mallory (doing his best times ever, and quite respectable ones too); and more recently at Oulton - where he was so angry at having muffed the start that a few laps later he snapped his gearstick off!

Quote:
And name some more 'names'.
Other ex-Slick50 guys I know of who have moved to the K&N/Ace Vehicles/Barc NW/whatever it's called this week championship are:

Alan Collinson (Rover SD1)
Ruth & Jeremy Coates (Pair of SD1s - although I believe Ruth's rusted into oblivion, and Jeremy has been giving feeble excuses about having to re-roof his house preventing him from racing this year)

I run a sort-of production Capri (ex BTTC motor), and my old man (Colin Vickers) races my old car - an actual road-going Capri - but neither of us were out & about in the old Slick50/ModProd days; we both went straight into Ace Vehicles.

Sadly, Class D of the BARC NW championship has been suffering recently - we need more old bangers! Any old modified production will do...

Cheers!
Ade.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1744742)   #88
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Welcome Ade, good to have you with us!

There's plenty of Capri threads for you to look at as well
Old 13 Jan 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1814447)   #89
Salvador
Rookie

European Union
U.K. and Spain
Salvador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slick 50

Quote:
Raced against Salvador bit of a nut case, came past me wholely on the grass at Coombe and nearly took me out big time. Maybe Tim Dodwell the Road Saloons daddy will pop in and throw some light on the subject.
Hi there Al,

Tim Dodwell told me in his Xmas card that somebody had enquired abt me, so here I am.

Forgive me but could you let me know when this incident happened at Castle Coombe, to be frank I cannot remember and I would love to, Road Saloons always bring back good memories. Your comment "that I was a nut case" is more than interesting, I should like to put the record straight. What car was I driving. I have kept all my race results so I could actually find the day if you give more info. What car where you driving and colour.

Look forward to hear from you

Take care

Salvador Valiente
Old 13 Jan 2007, 21:24 (Ref:1814515)   #90
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A blast from the past!!

Hi Salvador.... a very long time no hear/see.

Welcome to the forums.

Rob (Compton)
Former peddaler of a horrid little Nova Sport/GTE/GSi in Supers.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 00:15 (Ref:1814612)   #91
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Hi Salvador and welcome to the forums. I was driving a Sunbeam Talbot Ti White with the customary blue stripe, you were driving a black Golf GTi. Oh I only said 'bit of nutcase' not the full monty.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1814917)   #92
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
What you mean Al, was that he was faster than you, and you couldn't keep up!!!!!
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1815098)   #93
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I was always lead to believe you had to stay on the black stuff, well two wheels at least, we had to drive these things home remember. :-)
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:24 (Ref:1815105)   #94
Salvador
Rookie

European Union
U.K. and Spain
Salvador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi Salvador and welcome to the forums. I was driving a Sunbeam Talbot Ti White with the customary blue stripe, you were driving a black Golf GTi. Oh I only said 'bit of nutcase' not the full monty.
I remember the car but not the bit abt the grass, where was it. As far as I can remember I always kept the car on the black stuff, the only way to win. Once at Lydden I went on the grass to to a spot of "awn mowing" according to the commentator, result did my exhaust in the middle (that was with my black Golf GTI).

Castle Coombe was always on of favourites tracks, before they put the chicanes. It did sort out the field very well. Incidentally my very 1st race was there, somebody took me off and lost my bumpers as a result, that was in September 1984, yesterday.

Come on Al, more info please I want to pin point the occasion, thanks.

Sal
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1815124)   #95
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvador
Incidentally my very 1st race was there, somebody took me off and lost my bumpers as a result, that was in September 1984, yesterday.
Off topic, but you won the first long circuit car race I saw live - a Slick 50 round at Brands in May '89. (Also yesterday) Thanks for the memory!
Old 14 Jan 2007, 21:14 (Ref:1815214)   #96
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
The fastest way through old paddock (a mans corner) was to have the inside wheels on the green side of the inside kerb.....

Roger Lott was the best exponent of "use of the grass". While most of us when slower on the green bit, Roger was faster on it, than off it!
Old 14 Jan 2007, 23:03 (Ref:1815296)   #97
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I just found a program from Coombe with us both on the same card, August the 8th 1987, bloody hell thats 20 years ago!
Old 15 Jan 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1815519)   #98
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
All I recollect of the incident was my car was getting quicker and quicker through the season (after I followed the example of one of the rule makers I caught doing the act behind the shed at Snetterton and changed the springs alround for a different rate, rules stated everything had to be stock and I nievely kept to that!) and I think on this occassion I had managed to get out in front of you and you eventually closed in and was hassling me then came past through Coram totally on the grass and totally unexpected after I had left no space, I can still recollect the grass and mud being thrown up and having to lift off to let you back on the track.

Anyhow for what its worth shorty after I put the car on overall pole at Oulton only to be punted off on the slowing down lap by one of the Rovers I had just pipped and totalled the car leaving me with a big problem getting it and myself 200 miles home. After a conversation with Brian Sheridan whilst watching the race we decided to start the Racing Saloon Car Club and the Modified Production Saloons (ModProds) which was running up till 2006 and has now been merged with Classic Thunder, fancy coming back out? :-)
Old 15 Jan 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1815917)   #99
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Salvador. Been a long time.

Regards, Gary Cole.

Al - Are you talking Combe or Snetterton for this incident? You've got me confused.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1815939)   #100
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Its an age thing mate sorry, I meant Quarry, sounds a bit like Coram does'nt it, does'nt it???