markysjag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
right on skam
Old 22 Mar 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1258710)   #52
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*whoops in delight, like it is an American chat show*

I agree it perhaps wasn't the best thing to say. However I was sure I'd see praise for his straight-talking?

I don't see why anything to do with a couple of drivers turns in to a a load of whingin' Poms or Aussies situation. This thread is about Jenson. Mark is only remotely related in that they may turn out to be team mates next year.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1258715)   #53
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally disagree, His boat may have sailed for Williams, But as i have been saying, Him putting presure on Honda may make them up the Antie abit, Also they promised him world champion By 2007, so sure they have alot of work to do this season, they may come out strong when we get back to europe, who knows.
Opps adam posted before

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 22 Mar 2005 at 09:55.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1258718)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911
Who does JB think he is??? He hasn't even won a race yet,
Agreed, along with many other drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911
Making stupid comments to the media certainly won't endear himself to his team or more importantly Honda. Honda will rise to the top again, they know how to, they've done it before.
Frankly I don't see them as stupid remarks, more a demonstration of commitment to improvement. A lot of people agreed that last year he was at least partially responsible for BAR's turnaround and even when the contract thing was playing out he got stuck in and made very few comments. Having done that I'm sure anybody would be somewhat less than happy to be heading into round three with no points. Particularly if you consider that last year he finished third in the WDC.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 10:01 (Ref:1258722)   #55
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and, at least at this stage, it has seemed to work. Honda has 'apologised' and said that they well try even harder. It seems they took the little critisism from Button very well. We don't know what is going on behind closed doors - although they are all grown-ups.

We'll see.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1258727)   #56
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i think that honda would have prefered jenson to say the engines arent good, than tell a lie and come out and say "maybe next race, honda's engines are real good" that would annoy them even more infact i think it would have cracked the thin ice that jenson is on.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1258729)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
i think it would have cracked the thin ice that jenson is on.
Now I am curious. What thin ice is this?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1258730)   #58
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
the thin ice he created when he tried to move, BUT i dont blame him at all for that, Nor do i blame him for what he said, i think its good he spoke his mind, but i just feel that it could have been constructive.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1258735)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

I think the issues from last year are behind them all now. But it will be interesting to see if anything does come back later this season.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1258817)   #60
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple of points spring to my mind.

First, when my wife and I were gathering autographs after the Australian Grand Prix, Jenson did the right thing by driving his people mover (with his father and fiance occupying seats) right up to us and signed autographs. At one point, he asked a bloke next to me how his day was - when the bloke responded that he had had a good day, Jenson replied to the effect "that's good. Mine was pretty bad."

Seems like his frustration therefore has carried over from Melbourne.

Secondly, it seems to me that there is some confusion over the status of Jenson's contract. It seems highly doubtful to me that Williams would be party to any contract between Jenson and BAR-Honda. BAR-Honda is Jenson's current employer, to put it simplistically. They hold an option over his services for 2006 if they can meet 70% of the world championship leader's points by a certain cut-off, and if they do not, then Jenson is free to find employment elsewhere. If Jenson has a contract with Williams, then it is contingent upon Jenson being free from his current contract with BAR-Honda and upon BAR-Honda either choosing not to (unlikely) or being unable to exercise their option to employ Jenson for 2006.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1258827)   #61
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some people on here however should remember that a certain guy by the name of Ayrton Senna used to criticise Honda all the time, especially in 1990/1991. I know that Senna is a legend and at the time he had won championships, but I'd say he was just as critical if not more so.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1258828)   #62
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911
Who does JB think he is??? This arrogant, over hyped brat talks like he's the greatest thing to ever happen to F1. He hasn't even won a race yet, although I don't doubt it will happen.
Making stupid comments to the media certainly won't endear himself to his team or more importantly Honda. Honda will rise to the top again, they know how to, they've done it before.
A company such as Honda will be taking these engine failures alot harder than any individual in the BAR organization.
JB reminds me of the sometimes unfair label given to several british drivers, which is "whinging pom".
Do your country a favour JB, just keep your mouth closed. You're becoming an embarrasment to all brits.
Somebody a little sore over his comments about Webber???

I'm not embarrased by his comments at all.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1258851)   #63
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Some people on here however should remember that a certain guy by the name of Ayrton Senna used to criticise Honda all the time, especially in 1990/1991. I know that Senna is a legend and at the time he had won championships, but I'd say he was just as critical if not more so.
Senna was sometimes critical, but at the same time he showed respect and believed in Honda's ability. Button tried to move from the BAR at any cost last year. He clearly has no faith in the team.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1258857)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I don't think we can say "at any cost" particularly as he was advised (incorrectly) that it was legitimate. Once he found out it wasn't he fired the advisers.

Thus I think it was a business decision rather than taking a swipe at his employers. Certainly if you look at the current position he was right to try to leave.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1258863)   #65
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did think JB was constructive in his comments. On the positive side, he did say the car has the speed to be a frontrunner, just that it's not good enough for an engine to last 3 laps into a race.

The Japanese strive on reliability so I'm pretty sure Button's comments will have shamed them into doing something about it.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1258868)   #66
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thread closed.

There is nothing to be gained here.