Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1369515)   #1
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Jenson Button over-hype himself?

He seems to have this *I'm going to the next world champion* going on when really he's a decent but not great driver.

He's never come that close to winning a race!

So I'd say YES!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1369516)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yawn!

You don't get anywhere in this game without self-belief.

As for hype, that's down to other people, rather than Jenson himself
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1369524)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, but a lot of others, especially in the UK do. I've never heard Jenson say such a thing? Do we have a link?

In addition IMHO it isn't really discussion about motorsport this.

If your sick of the hype ignore it rather than trying to create some of your own. It'll only make it worse.

He is big here in the UK, arguably more than his results deserve, but he is the best Brit at the moment. Webber is big in Australia, Monteiro in Portugal (witness the number of chat shows he went on and the reception at the airport after his podium at Indy!), Sato in Japan, etc... All of them are hyped, but we live in the UK so I guess we get more of it.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1369532)   #4
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's been reading far too many of his own Autosport covers, sadly
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1369544)   #5
poleaxe
Rookie

poleaxe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
He's never come that close to winning a race!
Monaco Grand Prix - 2004
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1369555)   #6
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All he's ever said is "I want to be a world champion" which isn't exactly surprising.

It's not his fault at the moment if the media "overhype" him.

I do wish though that ITV didn't mention his name so many times in a race weekend,i think they "hype" him too much.

Again that isn't his fault.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1369562)   #7
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who destroy's his teammate in pratice, qualifying, and race results as Jenson does has to feel pretty good. Hes the BAR TEAM LEADER. The team gets behind him not Sato and that has to make him feel good, plus the fact that everyone except for Ferrarie and Mclaren wants this guy to race for their team. So yes he has a big head but for good reason. Although I think once he leaves BAR and goes to Williams he will have a reality check racing against quick Nick or Webber.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1369633)   #8
Tone
Racer

United Kingdom
Tone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt he will be too worried about either especially Webber..
Old 1 Aug 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1369660)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jenson is a confident young man, as I'm sure you would be, Mr Fanatic, if you had his ability.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1369663)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As for teaming up with Webber next year, I'm afraid he'll put Mark out of a drive.

Although Webber does have one impressive note on his CV: Theoretically quickest F1 driver round the Top Gear test track.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1369671)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Confidence is a big part of success which he has and it will happen, but at the moment it is his car.
However arogance is will not work.
I don't actually recall him saying he will be world champion every year, just wants the wins!
It has been the British media, coughautosportcough but that is just to bring more interest back in, like when Senna was targically killed, Brazil claimed Barrichello as their new hero.
But Button wants to stay at BAR next year as he feels they are a team that can win the championship.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1369713)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As others have said, I've never read or heard him say that he says he will be the next world champion, only that his best chances of being world champion are with a competitive team. To be honest, he shouldn't be in F1 if he doesn't think he can.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 00:40 (Ref:1369760)   #13
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look, if Coulthard can say "this year I will go for the title" then I honestly think Button is entitled to crown himself even before the start of the season
Old 2 Aug 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1369782)   #14
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gosh you English really are quite confident 'Jense' will put Webber out of business at Williams, aren't you. As a team-mate Sato is a pushover - just about anyone could crush him, but at Williams, Button will face his moment of truth. Put the patriotic hype aside guys and look at Webber - every time he and Heidfeld are matched IN EQUAL CARS/FUEL/TYRES Webber is 3 to 5 tenths faster. Both are very, very good - and Heidfeld has been the pleasant surprise of the year for many. Jenson needs to be careful, it IS easy to believe one too many Autosport covers (they're just using him to sell magazines to English readers after all) and he'll need to be at his absolute best to make his mark (ha) at Williams. After all, he'll be coming into a team where Webber is established and extremely well thought of by the management. They know it's their car that has let the side down this year. Prepare for a big test Jenson.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 02:51 (Ref:1369790)   #15
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Brits aren't anymore confident in Jense than the Aussies are in Mark.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 03:09 (Ref:1369794)   #16
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And The Canaidans do nothing but give excuse to JV lol but I don't care thats what make F1 great.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 03:17 (Ref:1369796)   #17
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
The Brits aren't anymore confident in Jense than the Aussies are in Mark.
Its just the media. The whole of Britain are behind Button and by looking how many motorsport mags, sport shows there are it makes sense to see him everywhere. Britain get hold of a big thing and sap every piece of information out of them.

Same with Australia, but to a lower level. Would we really bag our own countrymen in the press?? Especially since Webber is the only Aussie in F1. And i must admit the press is highly bias towards him, take this for example "Montoya ran into Webber going down into turn 1, ending his race hopes" And that was after Europe. I mean Webber admitted the mistake, we all know it was Webbers fault. Yet the press still talk bias.

Every driver will be overhyped, the press have to do it to stimulate interest. Look at Narian in India, Tiago in Portugal. New found starts despite not being that impressive on a whole.

And once there out of F1 the press will leave them until they shine somewhere again. In Australia we dont hear much about Ryan Briscoe, and im sure Malaysia wont hear much about Alex Yoong. Not that im comparing the two. And Also in Australia when was the last time you heard the name James Courtney??

But this is about Button as the title suggests. There is a keen interest in Button in his homeland and they are going to use every measure to get the whole country behind him ,to get the support.

Is he overhyped in driver abilities?? Well i would put him in the bracket below MS, Kimi, FA. So he is one of the best 5 drivers in Formula One. Which aint too bad if you ask me. He is improving, and having a team-mate like Sato doesn't help that much to bench a performance rating on him. Wait till he partners Webber (if he does) then we will see.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 03:31 (Ref:1369797)   #18
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
James Courtney... Today... He will be racing at Bathurst...

DKGandBH
Old 2 Aug 2005, 03:39 (Ref:1369798)   #19
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGandBH
James Courtney... Today... He will be racing at Bathurst...

DKGandBH
Yep for the HRT squad. But thats besides the point. He did use to make the Herald Sun put now there is basically nothing on him.

And this could happen to anyone in Formula One if they dont suceed. if Button never got another driver after Benneton do you think the British Press would be all over him?

Its normal for a driver who is in Formula One to receive a lot of attention no matter where on the grid he/she is placed. But once their out of F1, and down the scales not a lot is mentioned. As i think Briscoe got more of a mention being Toyota test driver than racing in the IRL series, finishing 10th at the Michegin speedway.

Will Davison too, test drivers Minardi aswell as Will Power, and they have now fallen a bit by the wayside, but Davo is doing better than Power at the moment.

Gotta take the highs with the lows.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 05:16 (Ref:1369817)   #20
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson may be overhyped, but I'd say he is still good. He is a tough opponent and if you can go faster than him...you will go far. In fact you will probably be a strong WDC contender in the future. Button could win the championship in the right car, there is no doubt about that. However, he has failed to attract the big manufacturers, which obviously means he hasn't fully convinced them.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 05:19 (Ref:1369819)   #21
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Honda isn't a big manufacturer?
Old 2 Aug 2005, 05:38 (Ref:1369824)   #22
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Well two teams are fighting for him, so that must mean something surely.

And yeh Honda is a big manufactor. The only other BIG manufactors would be Ferrari, Toyota, Renault, Merc and BMW (Sauber). And he was never really in the frame for the seat at all of those other teams.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 06:11 (Ref:1369834)   #23
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
plus the fact that everyone except for Ferrarie and Mclaren wants this guy to race for their team.
You could add Renault to that list. i dont think they would have him back.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1369862)   #24
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What others said.

Every driver over-hypes himself. If he didn't, he probably wouldn't get a decent drive.

It's just that with Jenson being a Brit, we hear more of it in the UK.

Oh, and there is still an 'interest' in Jenson from Ferrari... he's just not top of their list.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1369906)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator22
…but at Williams, Button will face his moment of truth. Put the patriotic hype aside guys and look at Webber - every time he and Heidfeld are matched IN EQUAL CARS/FUEL/TYRES Webber is 3 to 5 tenths faster. …
I'm with you here mate - why is everyone so blind to Webber's extra pace? I agree that his races could have gone better so far this year, but in terms of pure potential in speed Webber is nothing short of extraordinary. Button will most certainly NOT walk all over him.