Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 15 Feb 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3368848)   #251
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't it normal for official press releases to over inflate?

I was at HD yesterday morning and for the first race car practice session, (10am?) although there were three muscle cars around and were called, none went out. Just three or four Hondas, one BMW E30, and a Mazda. The day was shared with two groups of the Play Day drivers, with a Prestige group of about 8 cars and a traditional Play Day group of about 12 cars. It was originally only billed as a Play Day, but a couple of hourly slots were purchased for the racers.

Noting it was 'promoted' as a Feb 15th & 16th meeting, certainly early on, there was little evidence of it being a two day meeting - but at least entry to the track was free!

There are several series and meetings around, even so called higher profile ones, where the number of words in the press and circulated newsletters (even message boards) do not really have any real bearing on the eventual grid numbers in NZ and that is from Tier one and ST down.

Last edited by socram; 15 Feb 2014 at 20:53.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3369106)   #252
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Heycoop Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Isn't it normal for official press releases to over inflate?

I was at HD yesterday morning and for the first race car practice session, (10am?) although there were three muscle cars around and were called, none went out. Just three or four Hondas, one BMW E30, and a Mazda. The day was shared with two groups of the Play Day drivers, with a Prestige group of about 8 cars and a traditional Play Day group of about 12 cars. It was originally only billed as a Play Day, but a couple of hourly slots were purchased for the racers.

Noting it was 'promoted' as a Feb 15th & 16th meeting, certainly early on, there was little evidence of it being a two day meeting - but at least entry to the track was free!

There are several series and meetings around, even so called higher profile ones, where the number of words in the press and circulated newsletters (even message boards) do not really have any real bearing on the eventual grid numbers in NZ and that is from Tier one and ST down.
I would just like to say that there was a field of 27 Hondas, with 25 still running in the last race. From what I've heard (and what I could see out of my windscreen!!) the racing, particularly at the front, was very close. The Handicap race I was in was the closest race I've every been in, with 10 seconds covering the first 17 cars.

There's not too many classes that will produce racing like that, and fields of 25+ cars in NZ Motor Racing anymore.....
Racing in the 2013/14 Motul Honda Cup. #143 EG Civic. Facebook search Heycoop Racing to show your support and see my progress throughout the season.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3369125)   #253
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heycoop Racing View Post
I would just like to say that there was a field of 27 Hondas, with 25 still running in the last race.
There's not too many classes that will produce racing like that, and fields of 25+ cars in NZ Motor Racing anymore.....
That was Sunday! My comments related to Saturday morning.

Although I agree that there are few races these days with decent grids, and that handicap racing is much closer, there are racers who hate handicaps just as there are many who prefer them. I'll concede that racing is generally about winning, but in the classic area where there are vast differences in engine size, car age and modifications, handicaps are the only way to go.

We have had as many as 40 in a grid (handicap) and thoroughly enjoyed it. We have also in the distant past, pre transponders, had finishes so close, that after the first two or three past the post, the timekeepers were unable to declare the results. We had to rely on the drivers.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3369420)   #254
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Technically speaking, Socram, the Hondas at Hampton meeting was a two day meeting. The Hondas, Muscle Cars, and Sports cars all qualified in the afternoon without the playday cars. The Motorsport Club men and women were even called in for it because it required marshalls on every point, contrary to the playday sessions held earlier on in the day.

But honestly, who gives a damn about the dates, the racing was fantastic and the Honda Cup boys and girls keep putting on spectacular racing, weekend after weekend.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3369434)   #255
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post
But honestly, who gives a damn about the dates, the racing was fantastic and the Honda Cup boys and girls keep putting on spectacular racing, weekend after weekend.
Fair comment. I have no problem with the day or the way it was run or the racing. My point was that if the blurb said a two day meeting, then it should surely have been made clear that there was no racing on the Saturday! It may be splitting hairs or maybe I am being pedantic, but that is how I saw it.

A traditional two day meeting, advertised as such has practice in the morning and racing starts as soon as practice has finished, then no-one is confused or misled.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 09:09 (Ref:3369616)   #256
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget the 2k Cup.... Looked like a lot of fun being had there, good grid numbers and 40 odd s@&t boxes floating around the track means there's always something entertaining to watch.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3371520)   #257
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just working out some spectating for March and notice V8ST at Pukekohe and an IRC classes meeting at Hampton Downs both on weekend 22/23 March

Surely not. That is not going to work, both for spectators and people to run the meetings.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3371689)   #258
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
It's happening, and quite a few people aren't happy. The Motorsport Club boys n girls will be stretched for sure.

I can't see the SuperTourer round pulling many spectators with only two supporting categories in the form of Utes and Challenge Cup, which oddly hasn't had any press coverage or any drivers announced for the series, nor has a calendar been released.

Perhaps the reason why Hampton Downs was dropped from the calendar was because V8ST spent too much time faffing around waiting for the V8 Supercar calendar to come out, meanwhile, NZIGP had booked that date.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3371711)   #259
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
The Motorsport Club boys n girls will be stretched for sure.
Perhaps the reason why Hampton Downs was dropped from the calendar was because V8ST spent too much time faffing around waiting for the V8 Supercar calendar to come out, meanwhile, NZIGP had booked that date.
Trying to plan and book your season is a total nightmare, as it works on the trickle down system. Until the guys at the perceived top of the pile get their act together, those lower down the chain just get their planned dates either changed or cancelled, often way, way too late to get a suitable alternative.

IF the Motorsport Club ever decided to boycott a so called major meeting, it would throw that meeting into total disarray.

Many volunteers are already working 40-45 weekends a year and don't forget that they are not only unpaid, but they also have to use their own fuel to get there and back. Sad that one super car team owner/former driver, as recently as about three years ago, didn't even realise that the flaggies and other officials are unpaid.

Maybe the top teams could earn brownie points by supplying the volunteers lunches instead of the race organisers paying.

Great that we have HD and Pukekohe now, but those at the pointy need to consider that their sport depends on volunteers and those volunteers deserve some consideration, as do all the organisers and competitors involved in so called minor events, where often, car numbers are higher anyway!

If the top tiers (sic) can't get a calendar fully sorted by the end of June - which is only three months before the beginning of our season - then they don't deserve the support from the volunteers. No excuses. They are not the pinnacle they think they are.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3371735)   #260
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the reason why Hampton Downs was dropped from the calendar was because V8ST spent too much time faffing around waiting for the V8 Supercar calendar to come out, meanwhile, NZIGP had booked that date.[/QUOTE]

20b - I can assure you the booking with Hampton Downs has been on the calendar as a recurring event for the last 3 years and was inscribed on the Motorsport New Zealand Calendar at Conference last year.

The change to the V8ST calendar occurred in December 2013.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3371768)   #261
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They must have more support classes than utes and CC surely.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3372197)   #262
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
They must have more support classes than utes and CC surely.
Interesting you say that because an email was sent out this morning by V8 SuperTourers advertising the tickets for the next round. It appears round three will only have the V8 SuperTourers and the V8 Utes running.

There has been no mention of the Challenge Cup this season. A calendar hasn't been released and both the website and Facebook page are dead, which suggests the series is no longer running or someone is very poor at their job.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 02:32 (Ref:3372250)   #263
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Interesting you say that because an email was sent out this morning by V8 SuperTourers advertising the tickets for the next round. It appears round three will only have the V8 SuperTourers and the V8 Utes running.

There has been no mention of the Challenge Cup this season. A calendar hasn't been released and both the website and Facebook page are dead, which suggests the series is no longer running or someone is very poor at their job.
Yeah I can't say I'm surprised, V8CC was even less entertaining to watch than NZV8 Touring Cars, which is saying something.

What about the Suzuki Swifts I wonder?
Old 26 Feb 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3372255)   #264
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Swifts have gone I fear
Old 26 Feb 2014, 03:00 (Ref:3372256)   #265
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah I can't say I'm surprised, V8CC was even less entertaining to watch than NZV8 Touring Cars, which is saying something.
Really???
Are you sure this comment isn't slightly biased?
Old 26 Feb 2014, 03:56 (Ref:3372257)   #266
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
Really???
Are you sure this comment isn't slightly biased?
Hello Raymond, long time no see! Yes I am probably slightly biased, but by all accounts the lack of talent in the NZV8TC means there really are only two cars actually in it, the rest are along for the ride. CC was never up to much as there were only ever around 8-10 cars in it.

Has everyone given up and gone to Speedway? I recall seeing Daynom Templeman at Western Springs some years ago when he had been driving an NZV8 back in its heyday - seemed to be enjoying himself more at Speedway though!

At least with Suzuki Swifts you can take them shopping after a race, eh?
Old 26 Feb 2014, 07:09 (Ref:3372266)   #267
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Hello Raymond, long time no see! Yes I am probably slightly biased, but by all accounts the lack of talent in the NZV8TC means there really are only two cars actually in it, the rest are along for the ride. CC was never up to much as there were only ever around 8-10 cars in it.

Has everyone given up and gone to Speedway? I recall seeing Daynom Templeman at Western Springs some years ago when he had been driving an NZV8 back in its heyday - seemed to be enjoying himself more at Speedway though!

At least with Suzuki Swifts you can take them shopping after a race, eh?
And why is there no talent in the NZV8TC?
Maybe the talent was lured away to a series that seems to be shitting itself.
And it looks like we'll be left with nothing as a result.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3372275)   #268
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
And why is there no talent in the NZV8TC?
Maybe the talent was lured away to a series that seems to be shitting itself.
And it looks like we'll be left with nothing as a result.
Well if we do end up with nothing it will be partially thanks to the efforts of some people at MSNZ
Old 26 Feb 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3372285)   #269
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well if we do end up with nothing it will be partially thanks to the efforts of some people at MSNZ
........................and who gets apportioned any other of the blame ????
Old 26 Feb 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3372290)   #270
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Well nobody is blameless really
Old 26 Feb 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3372291)   #271
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Although my daughter is blameless, being that she is 5...
Old 26 Feb 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3372298)   #272
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well she's to old to post on here then, and to old to get a job at MSNZ. Retire before she's six. To old to even talk to Joe.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3372447)   #273
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow guys, that was almost a group hug! I'm impressed.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3372633)   #274
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
totally blameless, she wouldn't have even been conceived when the top level of the sport last flickers of hope were still flickering (abliet dimly flickering).
Old 27 Feb 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3372634)   #275
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
Well she's to old to post on here then, and to old to get a job at MSNZ. Retire before she's six. To old to even talk to Joe.
too funny, your such a cad. do you do stand-up ??

or do sit down to pee as well ????