Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Dec 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3345736)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Toyota LMP1 Discussion

The never-ending Toyota thread which was started with news of the DOME test mule is becoming hard to follow. It think just like the R18, the TS040 deserves its own thread.

A good place to start is with news that Alex Wurz has headed to Cologne for a seat fitting:

Quote:
Now on way to TMG @Toyota_Hybrid to do seat fitting for new car + xmas party :-)
https://twitter.com/alex_wurz

We know the car will turn its first laps in an as yet unannounced location - but I'd put good money on it being Ricard, if you're bothered by such details.

We also know Mike Conway has joined the driving team as a reserve driver, likely meaning he will replace Kaz Nakajima when he's off racing in other series - and maybe, just maybe, he could be one third of the final car in a three-pronged Toyota assault at La Sarthe.

For some reason, I've got it in my head that Toyota are planning to run a V8 with greater capacity? I can't find the source after a good long search.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Toyota can bring to the table. The Porsche 919 is the beauty, the R18 is the beast. What will the TS040 be?
Old 19 Dec 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3345738)   #2
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
.... The Porsche 919 is the beauty, the R18 is the beast. What will the TS040 be?
If they nail the aero, it will be The Winner! Aero is going to be almost as key as all the new energy management, as aero plays huge role when it comes to efficiency. The new Audi and the Porsche do not strike with anything radically new for aero efficiency, which could be of great importance if Toyota pulls out some out of the box thinking and comes up with a car that is significantly more aero efficient. I hope they do something dramatically different, it will be so interesting to see what's coming.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 01:27 (Ref:3345740)   #3
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
If they nail the aero, it will be The Winner! Aero is going to be almost as key as all the new energy management, as aero plays huge role when it comes to efficiency. The new Audi and the Porsche do not strike with anything radically new for aero efficiency, which could be of great importance if Toyota pulls out some out of the box thinking and comes up with a car that is significantly more aero efficient. I hope they do something dramatically different, it will be so interesting to see what's coming.
I wouldn't disagree with that. TMG are more aero-minded from their F1 days in their opinion.

That said, the R18 and especially the 919 are very basic test cars. If either Audi or Porsche have a trick - or tricks - up their sleeves, they're unlikely to show them yet.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 06:33 (Ref:3345808)   #4
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Think the TS030 had one of if not the best aero packages of the recent lmp's in terms of drag vs. downforce. It was their 2nd strongest aspect of the car. The first being the hybrid. The windtunnel at TMG is probably the best in the business. I know I am a Toyota fan, but these aren't my words.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 09:42 (Ref:3345847)   #5
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Think the TS030 had one of if not the best aero packages of the recent lmp's in terms of drag vs. downforce. It was their 2nd strongest aspect of the car. The first being the hybrid. The windtunnel at TMG is probably the best in the business. I know I am a Toyota fan, but these aren't my words.
I´m a Porsche FAN but i agree with you, Toyota have (probably) the best Wind Tunnel. If is true that the car only be presented in March they are hidding something and my bet is "aero secret´s", because they have the best Hybrid system and they will optimize their V8 engine (more capacity), so their focus will be aero efficiency.
If they could gather the right budget and have a bit of luck they could match Audi, if not passed them ... "My" Porsche 919 is in there learning year so a podium could be possible, but next year they will go for the WIN...
Old 19 Dec 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3345866)   #6
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Ferrari used their wind tunnel for the 2013 F1 car, which is criticized heavily by Alonso.:-( Just kidding. I too hope to see some close racing of three rather than race of pit strategy.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3345869)   #7
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Well, Ferrari used their wind tunnel for the 2013 F1 car, which is criticized heavily by Alonso.:-( Just kidding. I too hope to see some close racing of three rather than race of pit strategy.
Maybe he critized, not the TMG wind tunnel, but the Ferrari crew that work on the car
Old 19 Dec 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3345877)   #8
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Looks like Toyota plans to keep their cards close to their chest by not revealing the car until March.

Smart move, if it works out. It probably won't, even Porsche couldn't keep spy shots from appearing.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3346274)   #9
Coldasice
Rookie

Canada
Coldasice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I wouldn't disagree with that. TMG are more aero-minded from their F1 days in their opinion.

That said, the R18 and especially the 919 are very basic test cars. If either Audi or Porsche have a trick - or tricks - up their sleeves, they're unlikely to show them yet.
All interesting points. Yes it is true that Toyota in their F1 days had excellent aero on some of their F1 cars. So much so, that Ferrari directly poached some of Toyota's aero ideas from the TF109 and the never-released TF110 after Toyota exited F1, which directly helped Ferrari's aero.

The chances are good for some innovative aero to be used. Toyota in F1 had used a variety of innovative aero designs on their cars over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Looks like Toyota plans to keep their cards close to their chest by not revealing the car until March.

Smart move, if it works out. It probably won't, even Porsche couldn't keep spy shots from appearing.
How do you know the Porsche shots weren't "unofficially" leaked out on purpose?

Toyota is a master of secrecy. If they use all their willpower to prevent any leaks, then believe me, you will not see a single leak. If however Toyota "lets" some leaks occur, then certainly spy shots will leak out.

By that, I mean Toyota is well aware of on which race tracks is it physically and practically possible to take spy shots. They will only test on such race tracks once they are ready for the possibility of leaked shots to come out.

Otherwise they'd be doing most of their track testing on secretive private tracks, like the Fuji track they own themselves, or the numerous top secret private test tracks they own in Japan. On those tracks it is physically impossible to get any spy shots without triggering alarms and security personnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
It has been said long ago that the rollout is in early January.
Yes, I believe this was mentioned before. However "rollout" and "official unveil" may be 2 different things. The "rollout" could be the unofficial testing rollout, and we may not see official images of the final car until March.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3346298)   #10
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldasice View Post
How do you know the Porsche shots weren't "unofficially" leaked out on purpose?
Which "the"? The very first ones were official press shots, taken from the first shakedown. The few spy shots (& vids) since have been so bad quality and taken so far that they can only be legit spy shots.

Quote:
Otherwise they'd be doing most of their track testing on secretive private tracks, like the Fuji track they own themselves, or the numerous top secret private test tracks they own in Japan. On those tracks it is physically impossible to get any spy shots without triggering alarms and security personnel.
I seriously doubt trip to Japan (remember, TMG is in Cologne) is worth it just to avoid a few eager photographers.

Last edited by deggis; 20 Dec 2013 at 14:00.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3385299)   #11
charliefraser4
Rookie

charliefraser4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was it not that Ferrari had issue with calibration, I also doubt heavily that Ferrari wanted help from Toyota as that might let them see the car. I imagine Toyota have no issue with calibrating it with their own wind tunnel.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3345896)   #12
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Where has March been mentioned?
Old 19 Dec 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3345899)   #13
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Where has March been mentioned?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=6792

That's the only place I've seen it.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3345902)   #14
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was posted by the toyota twitter account
Old 19 Dec 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3345922)   #15
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Will this car be testing before being revealed in March? Because there is always the possibility of spy shots!
Old 19 Dec 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3345932)   #16
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Will this car be testing before being revealed in March? Because there is always the possibility of spy shots!
I really do hope it does! That would put the TS040 at around the same sort of stage of development at Silverstone as where the 919 is now.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3345934)   #17
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The tweet clearly refers to the official unveil, so very likely yes... but if they don't, they're going to be terribly late.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3345937)   #18
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're seat fitting at the moment. Which probably means at least one tub is ready. I don't expect it to take 3 months to get the rest of the bodywork ready. I guess they'll go testing in January.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3345947)   #19
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
It has been said long ago that the rollout is in early January.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3423756)   #20
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
I am still scratching my head to understand how the provision of Article 3.4 of the LMP1 Technical Regulations is supposed to be construed:
Quote:
Movable bodywork parts/elements are forbidden when the car is in motion.
Looks very straightforward to me considering that "bodywork" is understood to concern (Article 1.6):
Quote:
(...) all entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream apart from parts in relation to the mechanical functioning of the engine, of the drive train and of the running gears
What is the ACO-FIA rationale behind their apparent consent to letting Toyota's rear wing system being raced ?
Old 19 Dec 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3346060)   #21
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll go to Le Mans in June hoping for a Toyota victory again. I won't go there expecting one.

The lateness of the programme again is a concern. I don't see the later unveil as clever tactics - ideally they'd be out there testing.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3346074)   #22
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reading the recent posts in the R18 thread about the complexity of the Audi hybrid systems makes me wonder if the relative simplicity of the Toyota system might play to their advantage over the course of the season.

Audi being Audi and Porsche being Porsche I'm sure their hybrid tech will be well designed and tested but so much of it is so new that there will surely be some gremlins creeping in. These new regs must be the biggest tech shake up since, erm, some time ago.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3346100)   #23
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Audi being Audi and Porsche being Porsche I'm sure their hybrid tech will be well designed and tested but so much of it is so new that there will surely be some gremlins creeping in.
Rumour has it that a Porsche 919 burnt down during testing, so there's your Gremlins (Mogwai) ! Don't feed them after midnight!
Old 19 Dec 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3346112)   #24
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And don't get them wet!
Old 20 Dec 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3346248)   #25
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Sorry if I confused anyone. I thought the unveiling of the car was January. Thats the testing schedule. The unveiling should be the 'final car' so they can take part in the official tests and present their package to the rule makers.