Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Aug 2017, 23:58 (Ref:3758924)   #176
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
How is that at all relevant to an expansion of the TCM eligibility criteria?
Isnt eligibility related to age? Typically they introduce cars that are 40 years old. Which is why the XD is not currently available.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 01:21 (Ref:3758930)   #177
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
the point being you cant just race a 1982 model bluebird, you have to race a a 1980 model bluebird, same with the RX7 and thus those cars were not as developed as the later versions
In-period development doesn't mean squat. TCM aren't historics, they are old-bodied Sports Sedans.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 01:54 (Ref:3758932)   #178
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
In-period development doesn't mean squat. TCM aren't historics, they are old-bodied Sports Sedans.
im not sure that's correct, otherwise we would have had v8 minis out there,
Old 12 Aug 2017, 02:04 (Ref:3758935)   #179
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Quote:
Spot on Bludvl - TCM cars are log booked as sports sedans.

Pecky, they have some restrictions so it is not a free-for-all but the cars are definitely sports sedans rather than historic cars.

As a result, IF XD, RX7, Bluebird etc ran in TCM, the detail on how they are built and what can be done would be different from back in the day touring car racing.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3758947)   #180
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No plush interiors or alloy cages (thank God!), as per Group C.

I kinda like the idea of TCM opening the eligibility list up over time, but I think they need to draw the line somewhere.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3759001)   #181
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We are already halfway there, with Chevrolet-engined Torana's and Chrysler-engined Javelin's already in the field...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Do we really want the big wings and expensive turbo engines that were unreliable in the day with millions of dollars of factory money and parts support, let alone now...
Probably not....but do we want a grid dominated by XD Falcon's and VB/VC Commodore's only, which would likely be the alternative in a few years given the current rate of development

It seems like Steve Johnson in "Mustang Sally" is only just hanging on to the latest Torana's as is

Last edited by one five five; 12 Aug 2017 at 16:49.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3762268)   #182
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Front page of the current AA shows that TCM have approved 3 licenses for XD Falcon 351ci V8s for the 2018 series and beyond.

1 licence is with Mr Johnson, the other 2 are with Mr Zukanovic, presumably for onsale.

With the field limited to 3 XD's, at least they won't saturate the field
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3762270)   #183
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has Mr Zukanovic sold his FG yet?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3762297)   #184
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Has Mr Zukanovic sold his FG yet?
Ute or Super2? Both have run this year with Mr Zukanovic at the wheel.
Probably still has the Mustang too...
Old 29 Aug 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3762572)   #185
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder why they are just capping the XD's, but haven't capped the likes of the A9X Torana's?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3762575)   #186
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I wonder why they are just capping the XD's, but haven't capped the likes of the A9X Torana's?
Good question. The original idea of the class had a licence attached to a car or car model, and they were restricted to the number of each model could run.

There were a load of Mustangs, then Camaros, now Toranas, but restricted Fords.

Wonder if Mr O'Brien still has the build of an XC Coupe in mind for Mr Bowe now an XD is eligible?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 04:44 (Ref:3768154)   #187
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ever happened to the Chev Monza that Greg Ritter won two races with in Adelaide last year?

It seemed a natural for TCM victory.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 05:14 (Ref:3769211)   #188
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
What ever happened to the Chev Monza that Greg Ritter won two races with in Adelaide last year?

It seemed a natural for TCM victory.
Not one response. I thought someone here would know.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3769243)   #189
Librules
Rookie

Librules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Not one response. I thought someone here would know.
The Monza belongs to Tony Hunter, one of the people behind the series. He also has a HQ which has been run from time to time with various drivers, including himself. No idea why he's not running it at the moment - maybe he's happy to see other entrants winning...
Old 7 Oct 2017, 23:05 (Ref:3772770)   #190
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Bowie's Torana be running a Chev V8 as referenced by the commentators? Is it that hard or expensive to build a Holden? Perhaps we could run Chev V8s in the Mustangs as well to save money too.
Old 8 Oct 2017, 02:19 (Ref:3772852)   #191
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Why would Bowie's Torana be running a Chev V8 as referenced by the commentators? Is it that hard or expensive to build a Holden? Perhaps we could run Chev V8s in the Mustangs as well to save money too.
It has always run a Chevrolet... and was homologated for the class that way well before Mr Bowe plonked himself in one...
Old 8 Oct 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3772920)   #192
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It has always run a Chevrolet... and was homologated for the class that way well before Mr Bowe plonked himself in one...
I don't understand why... Surely the point of a Holden car, is a Holden V8 in the front?

Is the temptation of the generous selection of go-fast bits in the USA parts catalogue too good to pass up?
Old 8 Oct 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3772930)   #193
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holdens haven't had Holden V8s since about 2000, but I get where you're coming from (especially in the context of the Torana which did have a Holden V8).
Old 8 Oct 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3772939)   #194
one five five
Veteran

Jim's Javelin runs with a Chrysler motor too, this bridge has been crossed before in TCM

The cars are Sports Sedans , not representative of what was sold... I'm guessing the organisers think the 'fans' are only interested in the body styles?
Old 8 Oct 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3772979)   #195
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonracer View Post
Holdens haven't had Holden V8s since about 2000, but I get where you're coming from (especially in the context of the Torana which did have a Holden V8).
In V8Supercars even longer, but we are dealing with oldies here.

I know about the Javelin and have commented about that in the past. Never mind that Chrysler only bought AMC about 15 years after Jim's Javelin was built.

At this rate why not let everyone use LS's or secondhand NASCAR engines...
Old 8 Oct 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3772980)   #196
Umai Naa
Veteran

Considering some of the budgets these guys are running would put you in a decent seat in Super2, perhaps cost-containment measures won't be too far away?
Old 8 Oct 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3773091)   #197
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Couldn't agree more. Its a case of the haves and have nots in that series these days.
Old 8 Oct 2017, 23:05 (Ref:3773096)   #198
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Definitely agree the $$$ are at a pretty scary level. Especially when they go chasing mega horsepower then have rpm limits imposed/lowered or ballast added because of the extra development. There must be smart people around who can come up with an effective way of disincentivising huge spending, although the variety of vehicles makes it difficult. Perhaps just increase the size of the lead trophies?
Old 9 Oct 2017, 00:23 (Ref:3773106)   #199
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Definitely agree the $$$ are at a pretty scary level. Especially when they go chasing mega horsepower then have rpm limits imposed/lowered or ballast added because of the extra development. There must be smart people around who can come up with an effective way of disincentivising huge spending, although the variety of vehicles makes it difficult. Perhaps just increase the size of the lead trophies?
$1 dollar engine rule.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:08 (Ref:3773553)   #200
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Considering some of the budgets these guys are running would put you in a decent seat in Super2, perhaps cost-containment measures won't be too far away?
They are mostly gentleman drivers who are not interested in battling the youngsters in Super2. Either let them spend up big "Jobs and growth in the engine building sector", or they will go and play in the Australian GT series instead surely?

Is it really true that an ace driver can't be competitive with an older, basic Mustang or Monaro? Having not seen aces take the wheel of such things, isn't it premature to say that the big budgets can't be overcome with good driving?