Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2001, 14:11 (Ref:97266)   #1
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blue Flags

as much as i wanted DC to pass bernoldi, Bernoldi *was* defending his position...

should the marshall that kept waving the blue flags at him get fined or something? i mean... what if bernoldi thought it was mika or someone else who wanted to pass and lost his position?
coz the marshall (the one before the tunnel i think) did it for quite a few laps...

C
Old 27 May 2001, 14:13 (Ref:97267)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its a mistake by the marshalls. I mean, with all due respect, you don't expect to see DC behind the Arrows!!
Old 27 May 2001, 14:15 (Ref:97271)   #3
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
I think its a mistake by the marshalls. I mean, with all due respect, you don't expect to see DC behind the Arrows!!
i agree, but it did went on for a few laps, you would expect after the first time, the marshal would be told to stop

C
Old 27 May 2001, 14:28 (Ref:97280)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did notice Carla, that few of the Marshalls persisted in their showing of the Blue after several laps. Perhaps word got around and they were told to cease and desist.
Old 27 May 2001, 15:16 (Ref:97307)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I recall Martin Brundle saying something about how they may have been told to blue flag a car and thought that Bernoldi was the car they were supposed to be blue flagging.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 May 2001, 15:32 (Ref:97320)   #6
Maximum F1
Racer

Maximum F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were told to flag car 17 and due to how difficult it is to see the tiny numbers on these cars when they fly by you and an average of 95mph I suspect the marshalls just decided to guess which car was number 17 and given that Bernoldi was holding up a 4 second faster McLaren they decided it must be him.
Heh, anyway, good to see a fellow Irishman on the podium again, hope this is the start of more to come from Jaguar but I doubt it...i put it down to the fact that engines don't matter much around here and true driving skill is what gets results. Keep 'er lit Eddie!
Old 27 May 2001, 15:34 (Ref:97321)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a marshal in the corner before the tunnell.

The commentators went mad about it, but one from the pitlane went to Arrows and they radio Bernoldi to keep his position. After some laps the marshal stopped.

It was funny because they made an on-line poll in their internet site, considering if Bernoldi should DC pass, as he was fighting the WDC. The results were 67 % for Bernoldi keeping his position.
Old 27 May 2001, 16:43 (Ref:97341)   #8
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just another proof that this circuit sucks !. With a superior car, DC couldn't make the pass, this is ridiculous...

Montecarlo should be out of F1 ! ("too dangerous" & "no overtakings allowed"), it's just a matter of FAME & FORTUNE $$$.
Old 27 May 2001, 17:59 (Ref:97351)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those blue flags were certainly annoying me. Bernoldi and DC were fighting for position, and such marshaling could have led to a misunderstanding and Bernoldi could have lost the position.

That was certainly a great duel, the "fight of the race". Brilliant stuff!
Old 27 May 2001, 19:24 (Ref:97394)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
This is just another proof that this circuit sucks !. With a superior car, DC couldn't make the pass, this is ridiculous...

Montecarlo should be out of F1 ! ("too dangerous" & "no overtakings allowed"), it's just a matter of FAME & FORTUNE $$$.
Yeah, this was the first race this year that I did not enjoy watching, the last Monaco GP I did enjoy was 1992 watching Mansell swarming all over Senna for those last few laps.

As many drivers and teams have said if this circuit was anywhere else in the world it would have been axed years ago.

Bernie must have enough cash in his bank account now to afford not to run the monaco gp.

Last edited by Damon; 27 May 2001 at 19:26.
Old 27 May 2001, 19:38 (Ref:97398)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He won't do it, Damon.

And altough teams and drivers complain about it, they must admit that is exciting and charming.

And we can see what drivers are above the others, don't you think ?
Old 27 May 2001, 19:50 (Ref:97404)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry, this is going off topic, but I just can't see how Monaco is any more dangerous than your average racing track. How many fatalities have there been there through the years? To the best of my knowledge, "only" one (though one is one too many). Still, how many other tracks that haven't even been around as long as Monaco can we say something like that about? Educate me if I'm wrong.
Old 27 May 2001, 20:11 (Ref:97413)   #13
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by R
...but I just can't see how Monaco is any more dangerous than your average racing track. How many fatalities have there been there through the years?
Dangerous doesn't mean fatalities, means accidents, and I think this circuit is a "high-accident" circuit, I don't have statistics, but I think I'm not wrong. (I know there are too many DNF due to mechanical problems, but there are a lot for accidents too)

From Bononi: "And we can see what drivers are above the others, don't you think ?"
Maybe when "Qualifying"...
Old 27 May 2001, 20:29 (Ref:97425)   #14
R
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
Dangerous doesn't mean fatalities, means accidents, and I think this circuit is a "high-accident" circuit
Well in my book, "dangerous" means fatalities and serious injuries. There may be more accidents at Monaco than elsewhere because of the limited space, but as we see, most of them are harmless shunts. If the track really was all that more dangerous than other tracks, there would have been more serious accidents there over the years.

(P.S. I've not forgotten about Wendlinger, his would rate as a serious injury at Monaco of course. Thankfully he recovered.)
Old 27 May 2001, 22:30 (Ref:97498)   #15
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by R

(P.S. I've not forgotten about Wendlinger, his would rate as a serious injury at Monaco of course. Thankfully he recovered.)
that was a serious accident and the whole of Monaco is an accident waiting to happen.

C
Old 27 May 2001, 22:43 (Ref:97507)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Speed, "Qualifying" certainly, but race for sure.

Remember Piquet's quote. And all the drivers saying post race.

I would like to hear from a driver wich is the most stressing circuit for them. I think almost everyone will say Monaco ! A little mistake can be dangerous, so the concentration is essential. Remember what TGF said about talking to Ross in the radio...
Old 27 May 2001, 22:47 (Ref:97513)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

And YES ! Monaco can be awful ! When Frentzen crashed near the chicaine, I was praying for nothing happen with those marshals !!!
What a situation !!!
Old 27 May 2001, 22:47 (Ref:97514)   #18
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
From Webster's...

Dangerous: Involving risks, demanding caution or care as extremely unsafe, able or likely to inflict injury, gravely ill...

Not only fatalities...

But hey, I'm not an English teacher, so my point is:
I like more overtakings than DNF... and I think you see more DNF (average per year) in Monaco than in any other F1 Track.

Keep Fame & Fortune Track....... Not !
Old 28 May 2001, 13:29 (Ref:97792)   #19
francis
Rookie

francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bononi
[B]He won't do it, Damon.

And altough teams and drivers complain about it, they must admit that is exciting and charming.

And the sponsors LOVE it
Old 28 May 2001, 14:41 (Ref:97838)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changing the tack on this topic.......

DC's attempts to pass EB wewre, in my view, pretty pathetic. He wasn't harrying him at all. When the pair got lapped, he made no attempt to use the situation to try and pass Bernoldi. I would even go so far as to say I was dissappointed with DC's rather lacklustre performance. There WAS passing happening elswhere on the circuit, so if DC's car was SO superior, why didn't he ever look like passing then?? And don't tell me "it's the circuit" 'cause that's rubbish.
Old 28 May 2001, 15:40 (Ref:97864)   #21
R
Veteran

Could it be a combination of the fact that Bernoldi defended his position so brilliantly and DC didn't want to crash out of the race? (Good on you - consistency makes the championship.)

Thanks for the dictionary response, Speed. In fact, it proves my point, doesn't it? When Monaco hasn't inflicted death or serious injury to more drivers than it has, how can it then be rated as more dangerous?
Old 28 May 2001, 16:21 (Ref:97876)   #22
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC is thinking WDC all the way. You could tell by the way he really didn't try to go for Bernoldi. If the pass would have been there he would have taken it. But I think he was really scared of what happened last time he was at the back and tried too hard. EB is a rookie none the less.

As for not letting DC past... I think that was a pretty stupid move on Wakinshaw's part. Lets face it by driving so defensively the pair of them lost probably 2 seconds a lap compared to what they could have been doing. Everyone knew that DC would get by when the pit stops came around anyhow... He was just wasting time... getting a Orange car in the TV cameras.

I think Bernoldi may have ended up 7th had he just let DC by and driven a good consistent race.
Old 28 May 2001, 16:38 (Ref:97883)   #23
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoops. Sorry missed the DC vs. EB thread and my 10 minutes ran out.

On this topic. For a while there I thought the guy waving the flag was just a fan waving to DC.
Old 28 May 2001, 16:43 (Ref:97885)   #24
R
Veteran

That would explain why he was waving to try to get Bernoldi to let him pass!
Old 28 May 2001, 17:40 (Ref:97909)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Two points I would like to make here

The marshalls at Monaco are considered to be the "best trained" in the biz..Fact or fiction?

A blue flag means " driver move over" faster car waiting to overtake... Fact or fiction?

Then why in heavens name would a well trained marshall wave a BLUE flag that has no meaning? and is not taken seriously

I am interested in learning something here