Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 16 May 2008, 02:33 (Ref:2203638)   #1
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TilkeWannabe's Tracks

It may take a while to get quite a few tracks but they'll be on here. I hope you will be surprised.
Old 17 May 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2204546)   #2
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Finally!!!!!!!

Here it is! My first track, in response to Bio's challenge of creating a track within an 800*400 space. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Track 1.jpg  
Old 17 May 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2204576)   #3
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Sorry if the images are a bit small or blurry or whatever.
Old 17 May 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2204618)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Luigi's challenge, not mine

As for the track. It's clockwise, right?

I like the shape and have no problem with the trackline. It seems a nice combination of straights and curvy sections, speed and skill. Good job, especially for a first one. My first one pales in comparison

Any data about track length?
Old 17 May 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2204653)   #5
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
No. Sorry. Yes it is Clockwise.
Old 17 May 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2205063)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A really nice first effort, The left hand side has a really nice flow.
Old 18 May 2008, 06:06 (Ref:2205155)   #7
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Thank you, SBF. I was thinking of the sweeps before Nouveau Monde hairpin at Rouen for that.
Old 18 May 2008, 07:12 (Ref:2205185)   #8
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
With my next track, it isn't exactly mine, my sister did a squiggle and I turned it into a track.

With the location of the pitlane, where should it go? You guys decide.

Here it is.
Old 18 May 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2205190)   #9
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
It's track 1.jpg  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 18 May 2008 at 07:40.
Old 18 May 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2205221)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Another great one! I only have one idea to maybe make it even better

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilkeedit.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	19589

I'd say everything else is fine. It has a great flow and the pitlanes are where thhey should be. I'd pick the bottom one.

bio
Old 18 May 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2205401)   #11
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Bio

Those esses you modified, great modification by the way. Anyway, if the esses were going downhill, i think it would be awesome, switching left downhill, then right downhill and gaining speed at the same time.

One more thing, with my tracks, I tend not to put possible grandstand locations in, gravel traps, run-off areas, not exactly my thing you see.

THX!

*****Wannabe
Old 18 May 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2205637)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another really nice shape there

Don't worry about showing gravel traps and grandstands, they are very much extras to the actual circuit design....just keep in mind that there would need ot be gravel traps and to allow space for them or to put it another way don't fold the track back on itself too much too quickly. These first 2 are both fine in that regard.
Old 18 May 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2205776)   #13
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello TW, welcome to the board!
I prefer the "Sister's Squiggle Speedway" to the first track in the thread, because it both flows better and has a beautiful blot shape. bio's edit of the Esses really adds to that. But contrary to your login name of choice, it's not Tilke-esque at all ;-)
Old 18 May 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2205875)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
He probably took my advice on Tilke

bio
Old 19 May 2008, 01:21 (Ref:2206054)   #15
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
What's the big idea about Tilke? Is he unimaginative with his tracks, trying to impress Mr Ecclestone with "boring designs". Personally, I don't see what's wrong with Sakhir, Sepang, Shanghai, I disagree with the Indy infield and the Mickey Mouse Fuji though.

I only called myself TilkeWannabe because I thought it would be a good name considering what I joined this forum to do. Someone plz explain what Tilke-esque means and how to aviod it in the future.

Cat ya.
Old 19 May 2008, 01:25 (Ref:2206055)   #16
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Yannick

I almost cracked up in the middle of class when I read the name you gave my 2nd track. Thx.
Old 19 May 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2206376)   #17
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say, I'm positively surprised. Especially the second track looks good. I think for the pits, the best spot is opposite to the lower one, i.e at that straight, but at the inside of the track.
About gravel-traps, grandstands etc, I would say that they are to important to be left out. When thinking about them, you might discover problems in a design that are important. They also give us more things to discuss. The mosts interesting discussions on this forum have been the ones about the placement of graveltraps, bridges, pits and grandstands. That quite important for a forum I think. A single line can only give a slight indication how a track would be like for drivers, but the tv-watchers, spectators, banks (costs) and hospitals (safety) need more information to analyse a trackdesign.

BTW the main problems with the latest Tilke-tracks are probably that he has been given to much money. The results are gargantuesque buildings like for instance in Shanghai, witch are very impressive and beautifull. But the sheer size of the buildings and the track makes the racingcars and bikes, witch should be the stars of the show, look almost as a accesoiry to the venue.

Last edited by werner; 19 May 2008 at 11:59.
Old 19 May 2008, 13:22 (Ref:2206451)   #18
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Tilke-esque meaqns it bears some resemblance to his works. He seems to have a distinctive style, especially for the non-straight parts, for example.

And I agree: there are some Tilke-designs I like and there are some I don't. My favourite of him is the new Hockenheimring.

bio
Old 19 May 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2206455)   #19
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Is Tilke('s team) also responsible for the buildings or is it only the track?
Old 19 May 2008, 14:44 (Ref:2206509)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I believe Tilke Group have overall responsibility for the Track and paddock, but work with (local) architects to ensure that all the grandstands and buildings are of one style.
Old 19 May 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2206711)   #21
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Aha. I see.

Thx.

bio
Old 19 May 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2206889)   #22
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
Tilke-esque meaqns it bears some resemblance to his works. He seems to have a distinctive style, especially for the non-straight parts, for example.

And I agree: there are some Tilke-designs I like and there are some I don't. My favourite of him is the new Hockenheimring.

bio
The hockenheimring sucks. It is both feature- and soulless. There is no place where you really get the impression that you can really make a difference, exept for the first curve. But, that is part of the old track.

I like the Istanbul-circuit. Al kinds of corners, from technical switchbacks to flowing fast curves anything in between, some really challenging parts. And, although it's big and impressive enough to host F1-races and it's circus, and makes the Turkisch financers happy, it doesn't look as megalomanic as some other tracks of Tilke.
Old 20 May 2008, 02:35 (Ref:2206977)   #23
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I believe that Hockenheim should be how it was back in 2001, before being chopped in half. Was it unsafe or something?
Old 20 May 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2207138)   #24
bio
Veteran

Hungary
We're looking at this thing from different points of view. I was talking about how the tracks look. I like the way the new Hockenheimring looks - I know nothing about how good a track it is.
Also, with the Turkish circuit. I don't like at all the way it looks - it could be a superb track though.

bio
Old 20 May 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2207188)   #25
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
@ Bio: Well, I'm sure you must have seen some races at both the Istanbul and the Hockenheim circuit?

@ TilkeWannabee: I think Bernie wanted to see Hockenheim changed because it wast to long. Spectators only got to see the F1-cars for 45 laps, now it must be something like 60-70 laps. And for safety, well, it is probably safer now, but I don't think the rebuild as it is today was nescesary for that. Just some more tarmac istead of grass, and a rethink of the first chicane would have been sufficient I think.