Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 7 Oct 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2306287)   #51
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "short" circuit of Autodromo A.S. is a real beauty! It even has that modern trend of a stadium section at the end of the lap. I agree with SBF's idea to switch around Turn 15. Aside from that, any decent series should want to book it.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2315031)   #52
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it's been quite a while, but I've finally brought the next one online. I am really out of ideas when it comes to naming my tracks now, so let's call this one Circuit de la Stig .

Information:

- Listed as 14 turns (looking back on it now, turn 13 is the final turn - labeling 14 was really unnecessary)
- 2.75 Miles
- Clockwise

Elevation:

Turns 1 through 3 are fairly flat, but 4 is a sharp uphill corner similar to the first turn at the A1 Ring. The following straightaway is flat and turn 5 is uphill. The drop comes at turns 6 and 7, which are both decreasing in elevation. 8 through 11 stay relatively flat, but the long sweeper that meets the start/finish straight is going uphill.
Attached Thumbnails
2008-10-17-1857-34.jpg  
Old 18 Oct 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2315090)   #53
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It hasn't been that long. BTW, there you go again, like it a lot Stiggy. If it were me, I'd run it the other way, personal taste and all. The shape is sorta similar to a track I'll be posting in a while, it's not almost identical but roughly the same.

And you're a WAY better drawer than I am. (Mildly green with envy of skills) I promise that's the last time I mention it.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 19:16 (Ref:2316911)   #54
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Thanks Tilke. I'm posting another one in a day or two, but does anyone have comments? Sorry but this thread kind of fell asleep
Old 21 Oct 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2317576)   #55
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Iceman13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I´m not sure about turns 9-11, but I don´t really know what to do, to change them. The rest of the track very nice. And I have no problem with the track direction.
Old 21 Oct 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2317625)   #56
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The main part of the track has a nice flowing shape, though T7-14 does come across as very much an add-on to increase the length.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking in plan-form of two lesser UK circuits at Castle Combe, and the add-on hairpin section at Mallory Park.

Overall very well presented.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 07:29 (Ref:2318060)   #57
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
With reference to what SBF said about 7-14 being like an add-on of sorts, the short circuit sorta looks like Sandown to me, just noticed that.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2318988)   #58
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd do an SBF special and change the direction then it would be perfect imo.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2319158)   #59
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually this is one that I wouldn't change the direction on. THe layout appear very specific to the current direction
Old 24 Oct 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2319641)   #60
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dis-agree, I think the current turn 11 would make a great turn for overtaking. Turns 8,7,6 would be better I feel and turn 4 (in reversed direction) is a better overtaking place than turn 6 currently is.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2320095)   #61
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey! I've been cloned!!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2320112)   #62
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow Stig I finally took the time today to go through your tracks and Dude, not only you can draw but you can also think racer, love your tracks! all of them!

About the Senna autodrome, you might want to put an optional bypass to the last seto of turns to make F1 folks happy but leave the section for MotoGP
Old 26 Oct 2008, 00:37 (Ref:2320850)   #63
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
All great comments, thanks.

The purpose of 9-11 was to promote overtaking. Looking back on it now, I would draw that section differently, but I'm not sure how...

To The STIG: Turns out you have! Ha ha, I guess three letters make all the difference .

To Luiggi: Thanks! I like your idea. Making that section optional would serve both series well.

Now, onto the next one. The name is Green Forest Park. It's a bit on the shorter side - only 2.4 miles long. But it has a few overtaking opportunities and lots of elevation change for its small size. It also features an optional chicane.

Information:
- 14 Turns
- 2.4 Miles
- Clockwise

Elevation:
You'll see there's arrows next to some turn markers. Up arrows mean an increase in elevation in that turn, down means a decrease.

From the Start/Finish line to T3 is flat. T3 through to T4 is a significant drop, similar to the first turn at Fuji. T6 moves slightly uphill, and T8 is the final drop on the track. T9 gradually climbs until T10 which is a significant increase in elevation. T12 goes uphill into T13, which meets the Start/Finish straight.
Attached Thumbnails
2008-10-25-2024-09.jpg  

Last edited by Stig; 26 Oct 2008 at 00:42.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2321133)   #64
Yannick
Veteran

The blot shape of "Green Forest" is nice, and so are the elevation changes. But I don't quite like Turn 2. I think the track should bow more gently along the line where the guardrail is on the upper hand side in front of that 2nd set of stands, so faster machinery could also overtake into Turn 3. Having another opportunity besides Turn 12 would be very welcome.
Thanks for posting. A pretty drawing it is yet again, too.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 18:22 (Ref:2321197)   #65
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
adn three seem a bit out of character with the rest of the circuit. oterwise, it's a nice one.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 06:05 (Ref:2321511)   #66
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
That's absolutely fantastic. Apart from turn 2 which is indeed a bit odd I love it. I'm in awe! Kudos.

It's really hard not to say you know what.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 06:39 (Ref:2321523)   #67
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like it. The elevation seems to flow nicely, and the 1-2-3 complex is very creative. Only thing I'd adjust would be turn 12. Maybe tighten it a bit to create a better passing opportunity.
Old 15 Nov 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2335420)   #68
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Thanks everyone. I see that T2 on Green Forest is a little odd - that would probably be the one thing I'd change. Anyway, onto the next track:

Pacific Airfield
It's built in the northwestern United States, on what used to be an active airport. The Start/Finish straight uses a part of one of the runways. This straight is also used for drag racing.

- 3 mi. in total length (GP course) If the proportion between the size of the drag strip and the size of the GP course is inconsisent, then I apologize. I'm not very good with scale
- Runs counterclockwise
- 21 Turns

Being that it is built on an airfield, the track is almost completely flat. The only elevation change is from T12 to T14 (slightly uphill) and T15 to T17 (slightly downhill)

The red lines represent the pit and service roads. The road that goes behind the garage is used in drag racing for drivers to return back to the drag strip.

Let the comments begin!
Attached Thumbnails
2008-11-15-1448-31.jpg   2008-11-15-1452-06.jpg  

Last edited by Stig; 15 Nov 2008 at 20:23.
Old 15 Nov 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2335432)   #69
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Based on a 1/4 mile drag strip I'd say that you don't need the 1-2-3 chicane as the front straight would be under or just on 5/8 mile (1km). THis would remove the most glaring issue of the pitlane exit which on the current chicane is highly dangerous. The new pitlane exit would simply rejoin the straight.

LuiggiSpeed will probably pick up the fact that you are using the actual dragstrip, he can explain better than me about the issues that generates. But a solution is simply to have the track run parallel with the dragstrip.

Overall I like the shape and the minor issues can be easily resolved.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2335818)   #70
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Drag Strip is for LuiggiSpeed to explain, as SBF notes. I also agree on pits. Not much wrong otherwise, except a runoff issure for T19 (runs on to the starting strip, based on the trajectory, meaning that any advantage of joining the circuit at that point is lost.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2335882)   #71
Yannick
Veteran

The blot shape of your Pacific Airfield design is a great, beautiful one.
But to be honest, just from looking at it, I wouldn't place this blot shape as a track onto a flat airfield, but rather into a hilly region of mountainside.

The following elevation description can be seen as an edit, which has nothing to do with your original concept, apart from the blot shape:

First of all, the start-finish straight would be located at the lowest point of the circuit, and it would be flat. Next, I'd change the racing direction to clockwise.
Therefore, the chicane of Turn 21 and 20 would be the new Turn 1 and 2, after which the track slowly and gradually climbs uphill though the two fast right-handers Turn 3 (19) (4th gear) and Turn 4 (18) (5th gear) and through the Esses of Turn 5, 6 and 7 (17, 16 and 15 respectively). At the apex of the hairpin, Turn 8 (14), the track climbs sharply uphill, like it was a serpentine corner, continuing through Turn 9 (13) at that angle and into Turn 10 (12), at the apex of which it crests towards a mild downhill leading straight. Turn 11 (11), the 1st half of the parabolica, is reversely cambered, and the track dips on its exit to begin to climb again through the 2nd half of the parabolica, Turn 12 (10), which is positively cambered. The angle of the climb increases steadily to quite steep, but there is a blind crest just before the next tight right-hander, Turn 13 (9) making it effectively the highest point on track. At the exit of Turn 13 (9), the track drops down incredibly steeply in a Corscrew-ish fashion until the apex of the next Turn 14 (8) is reached, whereupon it fades out towards a moderate to slight height decrease onto the back straight, which continues through the right-hand kink of Turn 15 (7), only to dip just after the exit of Turn 16 (6). The apex of Turn 17 (5) is the top of a small hill then, and it goes downhill from there, reaching the lowest level of altitude at the apex of Turn 18 (4), which is the final corner, because the chicane from the anticlockwise version is not necessary in this version.

I hope you like the idea a bit.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 03:03 (Ref:2336150)   #72
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. This is a great track. The pit exit is not an issue. Have you ever seen the Montreal F1 track. It has an almost identical exit. Also, you don't have to have a parallel dragstrip. Portland has a dragstrip built into the front straight and it creates a cool effect with track widening as you exit the corner.
Yes there are a few corners that would present a better passing opportunity in the clockwise direction, but thats whats wrong with all tracks built these days. Every single corner is tight and technical to create passing. Instead they need more tracks like Mosport, Mont-Tremblant, or Mid-Ohio. These types of tracks make you fight for a position and not just catch a competitor and pass him at the next corner.The epic battles for the lead that people remember for years are made on the tracks where the battles will last for a few laps. (Anyone who saw the conclusion to this years petit le mans knows what I'm talking about) I like the tracks where the driver with the bigger pair of balls will win and not the driver with the biggest pair of brakes.
This track has a few good passing opportunities as it is and I wouldn't change a thing about it. Great track Stig and I hope you keep cranking out more like these.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 03:17 (Ref:2336153)   #73
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
To SBF: I see that having cars released into the apex of a turn straight out of the pits creates a dangerous situation. I wasn't sure what to do with it, considering having the pit lane exit just before the first turn would be even MORE dangerous, and having it meet the track after the chicane is a tight fit, and would just make the whole thing very difficult to deal with.

To Tathrim: I'm not exactly clear on what you're saying. Cars that go off at T19 can rejoin the track at the drag strip, and that runoff area would be asphalt (if that was what you were referring to).

To Yannick: Your ideas are great! The reason I put this one on a drag strip is because 90% of my tracks are normally in some heavily forested, mountainous region like the one you are describing. Maybe its because I really like Spa and Nurburgring ha ha.

To tlongman: You make good arguments about Montreal's pit exit and Portland's drag strip. And yes, Petit Le Mans this year was very exciting!
Old 17 Nov 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2336241)   #74
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
At first, I thought the whole doing a track on an old airfield would be a bit crummy, but how I was wrong. It's very very very good, except the pitlane looks a bit too far away from the track.

I had that problem with some of mine but if they were to become the real thing they wouldn't be so ar away, mainly because I accidentally put it too far from the track whilst not considering the length and space for other thing, like a larger pit paddock area for example. Kudos.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2336574)   #75
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
I meant if you wanted to make the drag starts a permanent starting place. But if it's temporary, that;s fine. Sorry I mentioned it, I was being a tad pedantic.