Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Dec 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2802479)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA to launch F3 International Trophy

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...sc-101210.aspx

Starting in 2011, it will require drivers to be "registered to take part in a full season of a Formula 3 national series" - presumably F3ES counts as that. Superlicences will be handed out to the top three, like Super Palmer Audi, The schedule is Hockenheim, Pau, Spa (on the 24 Hours undercard), Zandvoort, Macau and Korea.

I'm not sure if six rounds is overkill or not, although i think it is a good choice of circuits. Perhaps if Korea was replaced with Marrakech supporting the WTCC it could be renamed the F3 World Championship.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2802506)   #2
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds interesting. But doesn't that take away the prestige of a stand-alone race like Macau? If they are battling to become International F3 champion and don't want to DNF in the final round or whatever, they may not go for a do-or-die move at Macau to win it, because winning at Macau is what its all about etc.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2802517)   #3
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting concept. I agree it takes away some of the prestige of Macau but combines the rest of the big meetings nicely. I agree with duke_toaster in a way about the number of rounds. 6 rounds is kind of overkill for a short series, however it isn't quite enough for it to be a main series. Ie. I would expect most drivers to be competing in this as well as a more mainstream series. Will be interesting to see which drivers sign up for it. I wonder what the budget is?
Old 10 Dec 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2802649)   #4
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a bargain i am sure...
Old 10 Dec 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2802663)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It's good to see the FIA getting behind Formula 3.

Suppose you're a BF3 competitor. You'd be going to Spa anyway and probably Zandvoort and Macau (and Korea) so really that's just a couple of extra races.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2802685)   #6
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
on top of three other races and a ten round season. so that's a million then
Old 10 Dec 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2802762)   #7
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Depends on the tyres....

If all the races are on Kumho's (which i'm sure they will) then i wouldnt expect many BF3 teams to show up. They just get killed each time out.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 12:21 (Ref:2802910)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will they though? One is a British F3 event.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2802950)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Were I FIA F3 boss, I'd add Le Mans Series visit to Paul Ricard, British F3's visit to Silverstone and a race at Monza to this FIA F3 Trophy. So the calendar would be: be Paul Ricard, Pau, Hockenheim, Monza, Spa-Francorchamps, Zandvoort, Silverstone and Macau. To compensate, I'd make F3 Euroseries drop Brands Hatch, British F3 drop the non-FIA races at Paul Ricard and Nürburgring and Italian F3 drop the non-FIA race at Spa-Francorchamps.

All but Pau, Zandvoort and Macau would have one 30min race for each points-scoring championship (ES and UK at Paul Ricard; ES at Hockenheim; UK at Silverstone; UK and IT at Spa; IT at Monza). The remaining entries would take part in another 30min race. Finally, the top 8, 10 or 12 drivers from each race would enter the FIA F3 Trophy points-scoring race.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2802983)   #10
Xpert
Rookie

Xpert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Depends on the tyres....

If all the races are on Kumho's (which i'm sure they will) then i wouldnt expect many BF3 teams to show up. They just get killed each time out.
For Next year Kumho has a new tyre and the initial reports tells it's working more like a Cooper or a Yokohama so the non F3ES teams will not have a big disadvantage like today... Ranger has done the testing so far and been very happy with the tyre.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2802998)   #11
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Realistically people doing this trophy are going to be spending about a million for a season of F3 once they have done a main series as well. That is crazy money for what is effectively 2 or 3 spots down on the motorsport ladder. If they aren't doing any other F3 series, just the trophy then they are wasting a season with little mileage and will be at a disadvantage to the other drivers. It's a shame because I think at the moment F3 could do with a bit of help from the FIA but in my opinion they have really messed up with this idea.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2803010)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I think six events may well be overkill, perhaps a four round calendar with just Pau, Zandvoort, Macau and another (Spa?) to form a Grand Slam of F3. My own caveat would be what format the meetings will use, especially Pau - a resurrected event that isn't a round of any championship and is top of the bill. There needs to be more than one race per weekend, but there still needs to be one winner. My little thought is - depending on grid sizes - semi-finals and a final.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2803841)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I think six events may well be overkill
There could be more if some are also points-scoring for one of the national championships.

Quote:
There needs to be more than one race per weekend, but there still needs to be one winner. My little thought is - depending on grid sizes - semi-finals and a final.
Completely agree. How about the format I proposed before?
Old 14 Dec 2010, 00:30 (Ref:2804130)   #14
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Waterford, Ireland / Swansea, Wales
bf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Note the wording..
Quote:
it will require drivers to be "registered to take part in a full season of a Formula 3 national series
So could see Drivers register for a national series, but partake in little or none of those events so as to concentrate on the International Trophy..
Old 16 Dec 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2805077)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
There could be more if some are also points-scoring for one of the national championships.
I think that might be the plan for some events, though - the Spa date is a British F3 round. I would go for four standalone rounds, one clearly before the normal start of the season (Marrakech? Could make it a World Championship then with three continents), and the three existing big beasts of F3 - Macau, Pau and Zandvoort Masters.

Your format with the separate races for the national series and the non-national series has only one potential flaw - if one series is going to be stronger. Then you have the tyres issue, possibly even having to switch boot supplier during a weekend. Standalones solve those two to an extent, just make sure the Masters and Pau don't join a series. You could use an existing off the shelf racing slick (allow a familiarization test before Marrakech in Jerez every year, and one at Zhuhai for those who are just doing Macau), and have an open draw for the first round, other times it could be seeded.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2805298)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'd be verrry worried about an FIA endorsed world championship particularly when they have backed F2 and 'permitted' GP Lawnmower to get off the ground.

When the FIA decides to back something, it sometimes means the deathknell of that idea.

Although to be fair to F3 it's never been a rival to F1 so it would be safe!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2805469)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Isn't F2 only on a three year tender that runs out after the 2011 season, anyway?
Old 17 Dec 2010, 08:49 (Ref:2805472)   #18
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Isn't F2 only on a three year tender that runs out after the 2011 season, anyway?
No, it's a 5 year deal.

Have FIA released any new info on F3 int. trophy? Especially what are those national F3 series that give one eligibility to score FIA points... Euro, British and Japanese for sure, but what about not-so-F3 Euro Open, Italia and Sud-Am; and older spec. series like ATS Cup and Australian F3?
Old 17 Dec 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2805711)   #19
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I'm not entirely sure myself now, I can't find the old tender on the FIA site.

EDIT - Pitpass article at the time - http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=35382 - quoting big chunks of the tender says that "Interested parties are invited to tender to become the exclusive supplier of the single seat, open wheel racing cars to be used by the competitors in the 2009, 2010 and 2011 FIA Formula 2 Championship." At least at the time of the original tender, it's for three years.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2806346)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
No, it's a 5 year deal.

Have FIA released any new info on F3 int. trophy? Especially what are those national F3 series that give one eligibility to score FIA points... Euro, British and Japanese for sure, but what about not-so-F3 Euro Open, Italia and Sud-Am; and older spec. series like ATS Cup and Australian F3?
If it's a full-on FIA series, the cars will surely have to comply with the current FIA F3 regulations.

I'm interested to see how it turns out. I don't think, as someone suggested, that drivers will neglect a national championship to pursue this. I think, and I'd guess the FIA hopes, that the top few in each of the eligible series will do both. It will be expensive, but sometimes it's easier to get the money for one-off events.

Small off-topic mention here for Takuma Sato who remains the only driver to have completed the hat-trick of winning a national championship, the Marlboro Master of F3 at Zandvoort and the FIA Intercontinental Cup at Macau, all in 2001.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2806351)   #21
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Apparently this series is newly installed as FIA single seater commissioner Mr Bland's idea. Funny how an individual that has a commercial interest in certain F3 races is trusted with shaping the sports single seater future
Old 19 Dec 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2806354)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
He's been given some form of recognition as an FIA Formula 3 Supremo, but I take your point. The post is supposed to be unpaid, FWIW.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2806361)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
What else would the FIA Single Seater commissioner do other than F3 or FPA+ anyway? It's not as if the FIA has any real influence (or a desire to exert any potential influence they have) on the single seater pyramid, save for the pinnacle and a bypassable rung.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 10:00 (Ref:2806463)   #24
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
If it's a full-on FIA series, the cars will surely have to comply with the current FIA F3 regulations.
Sure, but I tried to ask, was that as driver must do whole season in national F3 in order to score points in FIA trophy, what are those nat. series exactly? Brit/Euro/Japan for sure, but don't Italian and Spanish (Euro Open) champs get super licence? IMO, that means they are recognized as F3 by FIA even though rules differ.

If older spec. series (German, Australian...) are ok too, they could get more entries. Some ATS Cup teams have current spec. cars too (HS, Performance, ArtLine...), so they could, in theory, run one of their German F3 drivers in Int Trophy. One could also do FIA series in different team. Signature have run Van Amersfoort VW driver from German Cup in Marlboro Masters and Macau GP...

So is the new series restricted to full season drivers of the three full FIA spec series only, or are drivers from not-quite-F3 or older spec F3 series eligible too?
Old 23 Dec 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2807652)   #25
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Hockenheim will be the first round taking place in 1 May.

From Euroseries press:

"The season kick-off will be held within the framework of the Formula 3 Euro Series (DTM season kick-off) at the Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg."