Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2000, 04:27 (Ref:48017)   #1
chow wei hsien
Rookie

chow wei hsien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from the 60s to the 70s, all those that are remembered are only the drivers like Fangio,.. Stewart Lauda etc..
i have never heard anyone mentioning about the great designers of that time..

i was wondering whether Adrian Newey and Brawn, the great aerodynamist and strategist who had such a big influnce in F1 of today be remembered in 20 yrs time. I am sure, when ppl recall back at 1990s,.. it will be Schumi and Mika,... .

DC, Damon, Rubens JV will be less remembered

Old 12 Nov 2000, 04:49 (Ref:48019)   #2
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chow, you never heard of pple mentioning designers from the 70s??!!

People talk about the great 'Sir' Colin Chapman, Gordan Murray and John Bernard all the time!

Ron Dennis would not be forgotten. And I mean it seriously. It's him who made McLaren the best F1 team of all time. Without him I doubt the present team would even exist. He is the greatest team boss in the lastest 2 decades.

Brawn is good no doubt, but I 'll give him more credits if he can create a champion rather than (partly)rely on a champion to win titles.
Old 12 Nov 2000, 10:21 (Ref:48027)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As much as i love Ferrari more than Mclaren (i do like Mcs...only to a lesser extent!~), i think Adrian would definitely be remembered with the likes of Gordan and Colins, but i doubt many people will remember Brawn after 10 years.~

I agree with Chow though that DC and RB would hardly be remembered, while Hill and JV would have a slight impression in people's mind in another 30 years time~
Old 12 Nov 2000, 13:44 (Ref:48055)   #4
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Know that people remember the likes of Chapman and Barnard, but I thing Newey will be the most remembered designer, as He is really the first 'superstar' designer.

Look at how many of the drivers and constructors titles over tha last ten years have been won in 'his' cars. And he is still going strong. As such he is top of every teams shopping list.

I imagine tha Brawn will be remembered as great strategist, but I don't think he will be remembered independently of Schumacher.

Neweys champs include, Mansell, Prost, Hill, Villenueve and Hakkinen.
Old 12 Nov 2000, 14:00 (Ref:48060)   #5
chow wei hsien
Rookie

chow wei hsien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if for the following 5 years, all races are run in intermittent weather with rain, no rain ,rain ,no rain....then Ross Brawn will be greatly remembered, he will be the main factor of great strategic victories

WOW!!! Adrian Newey's record is impressive, so many champs drove his car

but GT-R, if what you said is true, which is after 10 yrs Ross Brawn is almost forgotten, then it is a sad case.
I think Ross Brawn contributed alot to today's race strategies when refuelling was brought back to F1. In 1994, he constantly put the Benetton of MS on 3 stops , which is against the norm, but it worked. Ross Brawn introduced the concept of putting more fuel and blast past the competitor when they are in the pits earlier. Ross Brawn showed that you can also win a race by having one extra stop if the circumstances are right, eg. Schumi in Hungarory 98.
overtaking in the pits, reading race situations, the weather is Ross Brawn's best stuff in F1.
Old 12 Nov 2000, 20:54 (Ref:48102)   #6
Katherine
Rookie

Katherine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see Ross Brawn get an OBE after this year. He deserves one!
Old 21 Nov 2000, 04:29 (Ref:49273)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who?
Old 21 Nov 2000, 05:07 (Ref:49277)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It all depends on who is doing the remembering. I remember John Cooper, Jack Brabham as well (Sir Jack, to you). Then again, you may as well ask will the past presidents of the U.S. be remembered. Or the past prime ministers of Australia. Or your favourite dish at the local chinese takeaway. Everything is relative, and nothing is absolute.
Old 21 Nov 2000, 08:39 (Ref:49289)   #9
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly, Valve Bounce, it all depends on your intake on the sport. The likes of Colombo, Massimino, Scherenberg, Krause, Jano, Cooper, Chiti, Chapman, Broadley, Nakamura, Rudd, Tauranac, Phillipe, Costin, Herd, Gardner, Coppuck, Murray, Forghieri, Postlethwaite, Ducarouge, Barnard, Head etc. must ring a bell somewhere if you where anywhere near into the sport. Even my mother remembers von Trips, Clark, Stewart and Lauda but no way she would remember Chiti, Phillipe, Gardner and Forghieri.
It's a difference between the men who reach the starstruck newscoverage in glossy magazines called F1Racing etc and the people who really are equally fascinated by that other legion of stars in our sport and value their performances as well. Show interest in them or don't, but if not, don't try 'judging' the Newey's either ...
Old 21 Nov 2000, 09:35 (Ref:49297)   #10
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
i think Adrian would definitely be remembered with the likes of Gordan and Colins, but i doubt many people will remember Brawn after 10 years.~
I'm not sure about that, at least as many people remember the great Mercedes team manager, Alfred Neubauer as remember their cheif engineer Rudolf Ulenhaut (appologies for the spelling on those). Its just a factor of how famous they were in their hayday.

Old 24 Nov 2000, 17:48 (Ref:49766)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a lot of people posting on racing boards who believe that racing began with Senna and will end when TGF retires. I doubt they will forget anything that happens or anyone that makes it happen in that time period, but the more widely you cast your net, the less detailed your memory can be. (My grandson can remember the names and personal characteristics of 250 Pokemon characters, but can hardly name two dozen people playing in the current NHL. I can name everyone who played in or before the 1970s, no one much who played in the 1980s or 1990s, and I think one Pokemon, that icky yellow one.)
Old 28 Nov 2000, 02:08 (Ref:50118)   #12
Willie the Pimp
Rookie

Willie the Pimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ross Brawn yes, Adrian Newey ,,who?

will Ross Brawn and Adrian Newey be remembered?
Ross Brawn will be remembered as being one of the men that brought ferrari back to competitive f1...
Adrian Newey brilliance will go unnoticed because there's only one man in charge at Maclaren Big Ron Dennis
"The Phantom Menace" everyone are but pawns as he tries every dirty trick to take over the planet.
Use the force Adrian.