Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Jan 2001, 19:24 (Ref:58660)   #1
Didderly
Rookie

Didderly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sorry... but i cant understand why everyone thinks Matt Neal is the greatest thing in BTCC.

Ive never been that impressed with him.

So OK so his Private Nissans won race's, big deal. Only becouse they were better than any other car. And even then he could manage to get the car to work probably and win more.

I honestly dont think he will do anything great this year in the works Pugs.
Old 15 Jan 2001, 22:42 (Ref:58705)   #2
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Dunno about 'everyone' - most people on this forum think he's an arse.. Except one, but that's another story

Anyway - the 'everyone' in this case is probably the same lot responsible for Mansell-mania, i.e. joe public, etc. They read Max Power, they may own a set of 100+ alloy wheels, and they probably know that Matt won a round of the BTCC. They support the underdog, so for the past couple of years, as one of the leading independants, Matt has been the logical choice for their support..

How will his image change now he's a works driver (again)?
Old 15 Jan 2001, 22:53 (Ref:58710)   #3
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SOPER !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16 Jan 2001, 16:39 (Ref:58834)   #4
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No where near as bad as Menu.
Old 16 Jan 2001, 19:06 (Ref:58862)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Good point there Chris. A lot of the Matt-mania stems from the pit-lane walkabout giveaways, loud music, scantily-clad babes and general laddish behavour of Team Dynamics. Can we expect the same from Peugeot ?

It will be interesting to see what happens IF Team Dynamics a car for someone else, with the same promotional attitude they did with Neal. Will the fans support Matt or TD?
Old 16 Jan 2001, 19:47 (Ref:58866)   #6
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He says the pitlane mayhem will continue.
Old 16 Jan 2001, 19:57 (Ref:58869)   #7
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not even going to start to comment on this!

Old 16 Jan 2001, 21:02 (Ref:58894)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I think you just have
Old 16 Jan 2001, 21:17 (Ref:58897)   #9
Didderly
Rookie

Thank god. There is some common sense in the world. Ya Boo to Matt Neal mania.

The incident at Bathurst underlines everything about him.

PS. The "everyone" wasnt meant to be intened for this forum, Just the world in general! So the people in the know, know.

Old 17 Jan 2001, 13:17 (Ref:59016)   #10
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid if he thinks it is going to continue he's more of a pr*t they he would appear to be.
A major manufacturer like Pug is not going to allow his antics, to quote someone very important in TOCA (in fact he might be the man in charge...)

"He knows its all got to quieten down. After last year though, the only way it could be more explicit was if they organised synchronised ***** shaving"

I was shocked, honest.

I have no idea where his popularity stems from, he was better funded than most of the works teams, not a surprise he did reasonably well. I think he will be blown away both by Soper and Eaves next year and that will be the end of the Matty hype.

MULLLLEEEERRRRRRR!

RickP
Old 17 Jan 2001, 17:28 (Ref:59032)   #11
hunttheshunt
Veteran

I actually think Mattie will be Pugs best hope. Soper hasn't raced in the BTCC for 7 years and a front-wheel drive car for over double. He will take time. Dan Eaves knows the team and is a Pug favourite, and he will push Neal, but i think Neal will only finish third this year. Behind who?

Muller and Plato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 Jan 2001, 19:49 (Ref:59061)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

A lot will depend on Neal's attitude to racing. His problem is that he always drives at 110%, fine for the fans but that's no way to win a championship. All too often he's had a sudden rush of blood to the head and next thing you know he's sitting beside Kristensen in the gravel. IF that changes anything's possible, but I don't see it happening.
Old 17 Jan 2001, 20:14 (Ref:59065)   #13
Didderly
Rookie

I think Tom K is a real talent though! It will be a shame not to have him in the series next year. He really treated his cars very hard.

Although i had always been a fan of Jimmy T. Tom just showed him up. Plus, Tom was one of the nicest drivers i have ever met. If not alittle eratic.
Old 17 Jan 2001, 20:33 (Ref:59070)   #14
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Matt Neal is a great driver, he won two races in a year old car and that must mean something. Although I am really a Rydell fan, i still respect Matt!
Old 17 Jan 2001, 21:10 (Ref:59082)   #15
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Say what you like about Matt Neal, but he was the only driver who maintained eye contact when signing autographs at Autosport International, even stopping to have a chat while he did it. Regardless of what he's like on the track, he always makes time for fans, unlike some of the more, er, prima donna drivers!
Old 18 Jan 2001, 15:30 (Ref:59204)   #16
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Matt will spend a fair bit of 2001 'off the road', he has matured a lot but I still feel he is vunerable to the 'blood rush'. Eaves will be mega, he made Morrison look like a prat last year and spent most of the BTCC class B races he did last year going slowly to let Morrison past..

Soper is all macho and bravado, lets hope he can convert that into some good performances, when was the last time he raced a front wheel drive car though......

As for Matt, I don't know if you other hawk eyes have spotted it but several Dynamics sponsors were on the 406 coupe, BF Goodrich, Sparco and Comma to name three. I guess this means he has 'paid' for the drive as opposed to being paid...
Old 18 Jan 2001, 17:17 (Ref:59217)   #17
hunttheshunt
Veteran

BF Goodrich are actually the new tyre suppliers to the BTCC. They're on the Astras as well and are sponsering the BTCP.
Old 18 Jan 2001, 20:14 (Ref:59236)   #18
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, given that BF Goodrich is a subsidiary of Michelin, I'd hardly consider them 'new'...
Old 18 Jan 2001, 22:14 (Ref:59246)   #19
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Yep, i know, but i was just saying that BF Goodrich did not appear as a result of Matt Neal alone.