Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 8 Jun 2007, 04:37 (Ref:1931886)   #76
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a damn shame Divina, Desiré, Lella and others haven't had the cause to create such a maelstrom. Danica is running and leading at the sharp end of the field and anyone who was at Indy could see she had "cajones," even though she doesn't, of course.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 12:00 (Ref:1932213)   #77
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Schumacher ran off in his Ferrari for "X" years without much competition and never tried anything else. Maybe he got too rich, maybe his deal was too good, maybe he was a wuss for other stuff, I don't know. But just because Schumacher puts oval racing down doesn't make it so. Many NASCAR, IRL, "500" fans plus fans at any of the 800 U.S. short tracks would disagree.
I take your point, I wasn't putting down oval racing, I was saying it just isn't half the challenge as racing an F1 car on a circuit (I haven't done either, but i'm going on what Indy and F1 drivers have said previously!). Sam Hornish Jr once said he didn't know whether he could race in F1 simply because he didn't know whether he would be good enough. I'm not going to argue with that. Each to their own.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 14:08 (Ref:1932313)   #78
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Who gives a rats if she throws all of her her 45kg around ... it shows that she has some ballz ... she's a pretty good racer IMO AND she's still a babe too!
Old 8 Jun 2007, 14:49 (Ref:1932361)   #79
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thread is now way off topic. Bring it back or it'll need to be closed
Old 9 Jun 2007, 07:43 (Ref:1932954)   #80
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion,the blame game continues with this clown named Danica.My guess is AGR hired her for marketing and she's doing it well.She didn't even win the series she graduated from.I feel she's involved with deeper thinkers than she is and doesn't understand the role she was hired for. Just my opinion.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1933007)   #81
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sixth in the lineup at Texas.....
Old 9 Jun 2007, 10:48 (Ref:1933048)   #82
Rick Mears fan
Rookie

United States
USA
Rick Mears fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sixth in the lineup at Texas.....
With her huge weight advantage over a single lap.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1933049)   #83
Rick Mears fan
Rookie

United States
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
In my opinion,the blame game continues with this clown named Danica.My guess is AGR hired her for marketing and she's doing it well.She didn't even win the series she graduated from.I feel she's involved with deeper thinkers than she is and doesn't understand the role she was hired for. Just my opinion.
AGR is a championship winning team are back to winning often, they did not hire her to win races but for sponsorship and marketing and that is successful so far.

AND I must add its hilarious Indycool trying to talk down Michael Schumacher's achievments because he didn't turn left flat out on the ovals.

Ovals are challenging, especially the shorter ovals and require quite a lot of skill but the ones like Chicagoland, Kansas etc that are not that fast and long and easily flat out for the whole race just steering it left not even a gear change flat to the floor I am sorry but that is not as challenging.

Last edited by Rick Mears fan; 9 Jun 2007 at 10:52.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1933053)   #84
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Oh please. Here we go again with the weight advantage.

Michael Andretti managed to win a race or two in similarly sized cars while he weighed in at close to 200 lbs. The driver in a spec series is still important, probably more important than in say F1. Whatever advantage she is gaining is small in the overall scheme, inmho.

Look up and down the grid and you will find some fair few who do not weigh much more than Danica...

But there you go. DaMatta is a terrific driver, or so everyone said. No one mentioned he weighs about 125. Of course, he is a guy and therefore...oh never mind!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1933056)   #85
Rick Mears fan
Rookie

United States
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Oh please. Here we go again with the weight advantage.

Michael Andretti managed to win a race or two in similarly sized cars while he weighed in at close to 200 lbs. The driver in a spec series is still important, probably more important than in say F1. Whatever advantage she is gaining is small in the overall scheme, inmho.

Look up and down the grid and you will find some fair few who do not weigh much more than Danica...

But there you go. DaMatta is a terrific driver, or so everyone said. No one mentioned he weighs about 125. Of course, he is a guy and therefore...oh never mind!
We never said Da Matta didn't have an advantage so don't say we didn't. Spin eh?

Why did Danica do so well in years past at R-L in qualifying? The poles and high positions. Over a single lap a lot of less weight is a huge advantage. Then in the race she tended to slip back from her high qualifying right back down the order.

IF the league had a fixed weight for driver and car which should be the case so everything is equal and not just car weight, and not include driver weight when you weigh half the size of other drivers that is a huge advantage in terms of speed. If you can't see that then well...And as I said stop trying to make out we're sexist, like I said we never said da Matta didn't have a similar advantage back in CART.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 11:07 (Ref:1933060)   #86
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't recall anyone talking about weight advantage when Gordon Johncock and Howdy Holmes were hilariously arguing about who was taller. And it sure didn't help Jimmy Kite make the show at Indy.

Oh, Holmes used to claim he DID have an advantage in being small. He used to say, "Being shorter, it takes less time for the impulses to go from my brain to my foot."

Not belittling Schumacher's achievements. He beat the best there was during his time in Formula One road racing. Comparing his road racing skills with oval skills, or drag racing skills, or sprint car skills or motorcycle racing skills is apples and oranges.

I have always found it unnecessarily elitist when road racing people talk about their form of the sport being better than everybody else's. People who follow other forms of the sport don't seem to do this and I've never understood why road racing people do it. Preferences are preferences and it should be left there.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1933516)   #87
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Not spin at all and to be honest, I don't ever recall anyone saying Shorty had an unfair advantage because he weighed 120 lbs soaking wet.

To be fair, think of the power-to-weight ratio. With about 700 HP or so on tap, 20 - 60 fewer pounds of sprung weight ain't gonna make a discernable difference. If that argument were really true, than Sam Hornish (who weighs 160) should have difficulty beating Helio, who goes about 140. Marco (about 135) should always beat Kanaan and Franchitti might as well stay home.

I had forgotten how short Howdy Holmes is - I know Gordo is not tall. In fact in his prime, neither AJ nor Mario were all that big either...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 23:00 (Ref:1933556)   #88
indycool
Veteran

And this team didn't prepare its car just a tudge better or an engine in that car produced three more horsepower or somebody gained by doing a better power-to-weight ratio, or a number of other things besides the weight of the driver, not to mention the talent of the driver, the luck of the driver, the correct judgment of the driver, the speed of the pit crew, etc.

Sure, it's all about weight of the driver. Sure.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:42 (Ref:1933875)   #89
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reply to the original question of this thread, if Danica had lost the plot, then she seemed to find it again in Texas. I'm not exactly a Danica fan, and I'm sure she's in AGR partly because of marketing, but yesterday she was very good indeed; a fast, focused, mature drive. Go girl!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:57 (Ref:1933896)   #90
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very nice drive from Danica I thought. Possibly her most mature one yet - blowing that Andretti kid into the weeds in particular. Nice work

(Still hate her attitude though)
Old 11 Jun 2007, 12:55 (Ref:1933971)   #91
Rick Mears fan
Rookie

United States
USA
Yes she did drive well, she also did drive well at Indy. Very well, but I can't stand her as a person with her attitude.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1934019)   #92
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She drove well but her 3rd place was a result of the accident, but that is racing. Right place, right time. Her attitude seems to get worse every year. Maybe if she wins a race she will mellow out. I doubt it though.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1934041)   #93
indycool
Veteran

The accident took out some of the competition, but I don't think you can say that the third place was entirely the result of that. She passed people up to second, fell back, then came forward slowly again before the accident happened. Then she caught the leaders at the end.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 16:50 (Ref:1934171)   #94
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attitude is what makes a winning driver. Danica had a fast car at the end and if TK was with another team she might of had second instead of third.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 17:12 (Ref:1934194)   #95
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are right indycool. She could easily have ended up third without the accident but it did pretty well ensure the place. There is no question she is pretty good. It is her petulance, or preceived petulance, that turns off many people. Wheldon ain't no sweetheart either. (My old English teacher would have a heart attack.)
Old 12 Jun 2007, 03:29 (Ref:1934612)   #96
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
I almost took out a fellow (female) competitor, a good number of times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
when it comes to driving/racing, I know I am good. I am clean
Hee hee, left the door open in more ways than one
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1934940)   #97
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
You are right indycool. She could easily have ended up third without the accident but it did pretty well ensure the place. There is no question she is pretty good. It is her petulance, or preceived petulance, that turns off many people. Wheldon ain't no sweetheart either. (My old English teacher would have a heart attack.)
I think Wheldon's tried to learn from his mistakes though whilst Danica seems to be getting worse. Dan has spouted off when angry about his team in the past (possibly his old team) and looked a bit silly because of it and he seems to have cut that back a bit. Danica probably brings out the worst in him though.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1935419)   #98
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just read her interview in this month's Playboy and she sounds so arrogant there. She talks about how she had to leave British Formula Ford because she wasn't treated well enough and the best equipment wasn't given to her. Blah Blah she complains about everything and wants it handed to her on a silver platter.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:40 (Ref:1935433)   #99
indycool
Veteran

Seems like a guy named Michael Andretti had the same experience in F1 and he returned here to race pretty well.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1935512)   #100
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems like a guy named Michael Andretti had the same experience in F1 and he returned here to race pretty well.
That Guy left As a Champion of CART, and went to F1 the pinnacle of motor sports. She went from a go-kart championship to a feeder series. Not the same unless your comparing the amount of whining they both do.