Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Jan 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3699841)   #1276
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Lines always said once he'd reached his full potential, if the results weren't good enough he'd stand down. So I guess 2017 could be his last season as he's now got the experience and all cars will be RML spec, so his results will be a true reflection on his level. Wonder if Welch will still run the car for Maximum as they did for the majority of this year?
The Focus is having a major rebuild this winter - including a full strip back of the paint (it had around 5 layers iirc), RML kit, etc so the car will actually be competitive and we can see what Stewart can actually do. I'm not sure if it has been decided who will be running the car for him, options were being considered.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3699895)   #1277
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Officially Official - http://www.btcc.net/2017/01/03/wix-f...sport-in-2017/
Old 3 Jan 2017, 14:14 (Ref:3699917)   #1278
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
The least surprising announcement so far?
Old 3 Jan 2017, 14:20 (Ref:3699922)   #1279
thlbtcc
Veteran

Thruxton punctures be gone, hopefully. http://www.btcc.net/2017/01/03/dunlo...for-2017-btcc/

Will be interesting to see which teams get a jump-start on set-up for the new rubber.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3699932)   #1280
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't think we'll ever see the end of Thruxton punctures, it will always be a problem, just shouldn't be as bad as last season
Old 3 Jan 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3699933)   #1281
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

sorry to say but increased grip sucks

watch those old Group A Sierras and early super tourers, they were fun to watch all by themselves thru corners and being lose all over the place

increased grip makes racing more dull and procession cos it's harder to pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUKm0npTSHk

I have never ever seen a championship where increased grip and better (carbon) brakes make more exiting racing, on the contrary , so I don't get why they go in this direction

Last edited by porsche962fan; 3 Jan 2017 at 15:47.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3699935)   #1282
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I have never ever seen a championship where increased grip and better (carbon) brakes make more exiting racing, on the contrary , so I don't get why they go in this direction
BTCC dont use carbon brakes.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3699936)   #1283
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I am refering to general trend WTCC showed the new more powerful, more grip cars did not produce better racing

original DTM when it switched from Group A to Class 1 after 1993 did not produce better racing , current DTM with lots of grip and carbon is an utter snooze fest, really fell a sleep once when I dared to see an actual race

so can't understand why they want more grip tires at all !!
Old 3 Jan 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3699944)   #1284
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I know I am refering to general trend WTCC showed the new more powerful, more grip cars did not produce better racing

original DTM when it switched from Group A to Class 1 after 1993 did not produce better racing , current DTM with lots of grip and carbon is an utter snooze fest, really fell a sleep once when I dared to see an actual race

so can't understand why they want more grip tires at all !!
well the current BTCC cars produce much more grip than they ever have since 2001 and the racing has been fantastic!
Old 3 Jan 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3699949)   #1285
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the turbo engines have something to do with that, but it would have been better to reduce downforce when NGTC was introduced.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3699965)   #1286
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I personally don't think the NGTC racing quality has really been all that amazing. I attended numerous races over the last 3 years and quite a number have been lacking any real action or many changes for position. I personally feel S2000 offered the best racing of recent times.

Also I bet BMW + Subaru aren't happy with the tyre changes. The last thing they want is more durable tyres.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3699978)   #1287
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I personally don't think the NGTC racing quality has really been all that amazing. I attended numerous races over the last 3 years and quite a number have been lacking any real action or many changes for position. I personally feel S2000 offered the best racing of recent times
maybe your memory is playing tricks with you. S2000 cars, lap times and racing was nowhere near as compatible or close or as hard fought as it is now.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3699984)   #1288
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
maybe your memory is playing tricks with you. S2000 cars, lap times and racing was nowhere near as compatible or close or as hard fought as it is now.
Depends on what you find exciting. I don't think the racing is as good as with the Super 2000 or BTC-Touring cars, but it is undoubtably closer.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 07:09 (Ref:3700060)   #1289
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circuits have a big contribution to action too. With the cars getting wider, narrower circuits like Oulton Park, Knockhill and dare I say Brands Hatch (in places) produce some rather processional races. In both the ST and BTC days it wasn't uncommon to see cars side by side on the run down from Island and into Knickerbrook now all a driver needs to do is run a wheel's width to the side and the inside line is blocked.

However at wide tracks like Donington and Silverstone we get some great action. Then (race-ending stupidity aside) we had Thruxton race 1, I can't remember the last time I've watched such close three-abreast racing in the BTCC, it's like someone had forgotten to tell them they weren't all in Clios.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3700084)   #1290
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Old 4 Jan 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3700099)   #1291
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Discussing F1 and other classes with a very experienced pro over Christmas he made the point that the grip levels with modern tyres is at a sharp peak on which a driver has to balance, whereas with less grip and narrower tyres such as those on historic cars the grip is a curve and more forgiving. This gives the driver a wider window to work in, a greater margin of error, and 4 wheel drifts can be the fastest way through a corner.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3700117)   #1292
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PMR podcasts on BTCC.net

Tom Chilton specifically states that PMR is NOT a works team. Explains the lack of publicity from Vauxhall! I guess the closest situation on the grid is WSR/BMW, where there is support, but not a fully fledged works team.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3700118)   #1293
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Not BTCC but... http://www.britishgt.com/news/179/re...er-and-webster

Howard Fuller off to British GT. I don't think anyone expected him to be in BTCC again this year but at least that's now confirmed. Flag marshals around the country can breath a sigh of relief.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3700120)   #1294
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Flag marshals around the country can breath a sigh of relief.
Not quite, according to Twitter Mark Howard is "working" on getting a drive...

Off topic, but for anyone interested Scalextric have announced more BTCC cars: Aron Smith, Jeff Smith, Matt Neal and Josh Cook's 2016 cars as well as a few more early 90's cars.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3700137)   #1295
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Not BTCC but... http://www.britishgt.com/news/179/re...er-and-webster

Howard Fuller off to British GT. I don't think anyone expected him to be in BTCC again this year but at least that's now confirmed. Flag marshals around the country can breath a sigh of relief.
Howard Fuller != Mark Howard
Old 4 Jan 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3700142)   #1296
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXDave View Post
PMR podcasts on BTCC.net

Tom Chilton specifically states that PMR is NOT a works team. Explains the lack of publicity from Vauxhall! I guess the closest situation on the grid is WSR/BMW, where there is support, but not a fully fledged works team.
That would put WSR in the same situation as PMR - Chilton says that they are not a works team, but are 'Vauxhall supported'.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3700144)   #1297
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That would put WSR in the same situation as PMR - Chilton says that they are not a works team, but are 'Vauxhall supported'.
I think we're saying the same thing here???

Looks to be a great season anyway.

I wonder when we may get some changes in circuits? Mondello would be awesome and maybe the Arena circuit at Silverstone. Slightly more far fetched, how about COW?
Old 4 Jan 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3700150)   #1298
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think we're saying the same thing here???

Looks to be a great season anyway.

I wonder when we may get some changes in circuits? Mondello would be awesome and maybe the Arena circuit at Silverstone. Slightly more far fetched, how about COW?
I agree, I find the Silverstone national circuit a bit boring after a few years now, we could do with a change.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3700152)   #1299
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Slightly more far fetched, how about COW?
Yes, a race at the Circuit of Wales would be great. An aeronautical display involving some flying pigs could be included during the interval.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3700155)   #1300
S griffin
Veteran

Or how about a support race to the British GP again? Or even a return to Birmingham?