Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 May 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3243188)   #126
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I've just paid 54 euros for entrance tickets to Le Mans, and 82 euros per campsite ticket. I find these prices very reasonable. 100 euros for an entrance ticket and +/- 120-130 for campsite will be my 'screw you guys I'm staying home' point I guess.
I feared the involvement with the FIA would cause trouble, and I hate to be right in this case....
Your maximum price, is the same price as the Tickets for Roskilde Festival here in Denmark!
A big Single Concert in Denmark goes for around 100Euro's.

That is what I compare my Le Mans trip with, and personally, I think Le Mans currently is a steal! - having complete prices around the 250 Euros would be ok, as it's still more value for money compared to a concert, but I wouldn't be happy.

But, has only been going once, so haven't experienced any rise in prices. This might be a reason for my thoughts
Old 5 May 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3243195)   #127
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Prices have been pretty consistent, only slight raises, even below the inflation rate, so I am not complaining in that area.

But if Le Mans were to incorporate F1 style prices, it will go down the drain pretty immediately. Will be China F1-like attendance rates, I fear.

And I like your popfestival analogy. Those prices have increased beyond believe too lately! Hope we're not going that way!
Old 5 May 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3243197)   #128
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Your maximum price, is the same price as the Tickets for Roskilde Festival here in Denmark!
A big Single Concert in Denmark goes for around 100Euro's.

That is what I compare my Le Mans trip with, and personally, I think Le Mans currently is a steal! - having complete prices around the 250 Euros would be ok, as it's still more value for money compared to a concert, but I wouldn't be happy.

But, has only been going once, so haven't experienced any rise in prices. This might be a reason for my thoughts
Think I'm with CTD on this in regarding Le Mans as still highly good value.

I remember back in 1991 paying the equivalent of 100 Euros for a ticket to the German Grand Prix, which I could just about justify, but as F1 prices went a long way north of that it became something I wasn't interested in paying. Obviously there's a point where perhaps I might think the same of Le Mans, but as is the case with all instances of Sorites Paradox, it's impossible to identify where that might be.

Looking at notional competition I think it's got a long way to go before it gets out of proportion. In an era when a cinema ticket is 15 Euros, a concert ticket 40 or so (all in), and the last Covent Garden tickets I saw were around the 100 Euro mark the cost of the weekend doesn't look bad at all.

Last edited by isynge; 5 May 2013 at 19:39. Reason: typo
Old 5 May 2013, 19:35 (Ref:3243202)   #129
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorties Paradox? You're wasted here.

It's true, the price of events of any kind is expensive now. However, there are more events, more expensive rock come back tours, more disposable cash even in today's austerity. It seems. It is all kind of strange, but 100 euros is pretty standard nowadays.
Old 5 May 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3243211)   #130
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Le Mans indeed incredible value for money. Let's hope it stays that way! don't add too much grains of sand please!
Thanks for enlighten me on this paradox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
Old 5 May 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3243252)   #131
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone got the numbers for previous Spa races? I've been going each year since 2009, and I would have sworn that saturday was the best attendance I've seen.
Old 5 May 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3243255)   #132
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Le mans attracts the kind of attendance no other sporting event can if they try to bring the prices up to fast then those huge numbers will drop fast with the local french being the first to disappear, the travelling fans may accept a large increase but not locals
Old 5 May 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3243261)   #133
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Anyone got the numbers for previous Spa races? I've been going each year since 2009, and I would have sworn that saturday was the best attendance I've seen.
Absolutely agree with this.

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to take the article citing 14,000 attendance with a pinch of salt.
Old 5 May 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3243276)   #134
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too many people jumped over the fence then ...
Old 6 May 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3243418)   #135
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
E-I talks about 35.000 here: http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-17881.html

By my own memory, 2011 seemed like the most crowded one.
Old 6 May 2013, 08:59 (Ref:3243422)   #136
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
E-I talks about 35.000 here: http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-17881.html

By my own memory, 2011 seemed like the most crowded one.
As should perhaps be expected, the E-I piece comes across as considerably more level headed.

Looking at financial realities, 35,000 at even the advance price of 25 Euros brings in a gate of 875,000 Euros. Taking away circuit hire (68,000 apparently, which does seem a bit small), a notional 100,000 for local promotion, another notional 100,000 for the wider media buy (paying Eurosport / Motors / RLM to cover it), and making a 20% contribution to overheads you're still looking at turning a reasonable profit, in fact using these sort of numbers even a gate of 14,000 can get you into the black.

Obviously there are probably other costs involved - but equally the promotional budget I've shoved in there is completely arbitrary and may be too high - you also need to factor in what coming in from Audi, DHL, and Tudor for trackside advertising, and whatever you can get from hospitality etc (I really don't see Toyota getting the presence they had for free).

All this said, when has sportscar racing ever made huge financial sense?
Old 6 May 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3243522)   #137
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doing some fast calculations, the difference in top speed from Spa to LE MANS is about 10%.

So with the top speed in Spa 2013 around 308 km/h (both AUdi and Toyota) we could see a top speed in Le mans around 338km/h, but with low drag versionĀ“s of both carĀ“s the 2013 le Mans could go to around 342-345 km/h.

Did anyone misses the time when prototypes were fliyng at 350-360 km/h

Some time ago someone present that with the 2014 rules LMP 1 cars will barely passes the 300-310 km/h mark. Is that really true??? Please no..........
Old 6 May 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3243525)   #138
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Some time ago someone present that with the 2014 rules LMP 1 cars will barely passes the 300-310 km/h mark. Is that really true??? Please no..........
They were probably extrapolating data from the current-day prototypes and factoring in power and relative surface areas. But even if we see that kind of figure next year, rest assured, within one or two years at most we'll be back towards 330-340, because one thing that engineers do very well is develop around boundaries set to them by the rules.
Old 6 May 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3243534)   #139
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
They were probably extrapolating data from the current-day prototypes and factoring in power and relative surface areas. But even if we see that kind of figure next year, rest assured, within one or two years at most we'll be back towards 330-340, because one thing that engineers do very well is develop around boundaries set to them by the rules.
LetĀ“s hope so
Old 6 May 2013, 12:58 (Ref:3243541)   #140
Stagger Lee
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stagger Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Is this because of the fuel flow cap? Taking a peek at the regs it doesn't look like anything is severely limiting the engines apart from that.

(Technological imbecile reporting in >_>)
Old 9 May 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3244922)   #141
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Sportscar racing is once again (as always?) in a period of change with the new 2014 regs the USCR and the potential for further changes in 2016 to some classes. How do you see this developing over the next few years and what will we be watching in the latter part of the decade?
Old 9 May 2013, 17:54 (Ref:3244923)   #142
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
regulations are always changing but we will still be watching gt's and prototypes they will look pretty similar but change will happen.
Old 11 May 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3245603)   #143
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Just a heads up: The ADAC GT-Masters races from Spa this weekend will be streamed on www.ran.de

Today's and tomorrow's races will both start at noon CET. I can't guarantee that the stream won't be geo-blocked, though I trust y'all can find ways around that if you really want to. And the commentary will be in German.
Old 17 May 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3248839)   #144
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Loeb and Ogier to battle once again, not in Rallying, but in the Monaco round of the Porsche Supercup. Very cool.
http://www.sebastien-ogier.com/fr/ac...ercup-a-monaco
Old 18 May 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3249347)   #145
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.gt-tour.fr/webtv/

Live stream from today's French GT race in Imola, started fifteen minutes ago.
Old 18 May 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3249352)   #146
Eryk03
Racer

Eryk03 Is an idiot mouth breather.Eryk03 Is an idiot mouth breather.Eryk03 Is an idiot mouth breather.
Anyone watching Superstars International series?
Old 18 May 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3249357)   #147
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryk03 View Post
Anyone watching Superstars International series?
Its more of a touring car series, theres a thread in the European Touring cars subforum thats full of goings on in the championship. Doesnt seem to have a large following on tenths. Love the cars though, beautiful loud production based V8 monsters. Except for the Camaro, that thing looks awful.
Old 18 May 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3249362)   #148
Eryk03
Racer

Eryk03 Is an idiot mouth breather.Eryk03 Is an idiot mouth breather.Eryk03 Is an idiot mouth breather.
Yeah, so true.
Old 21 May 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3251266)   #149
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How would you rank your favorite classes in sportscar racing? Here is what I have from favorite to least favorite

1. GTE/GTLM (obviously)
2. FIA GT3 (very very close 2nd)
3. P1 (I like that these cars are mostly coupes now)
4. DP (only because of the Corvette DPs which I like, lose the generic rileys please)
5. P2 (find this class boring, won't miss it if disapears from USCR)
6. PC (find this boring too)
7. GTC/GTD (field fillers, not considered top level sportscar class)
Old 21 May 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3251407)   #150
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1. P1 Real racing prototypes---what it's all about
2. GTE/GTLM Real racing GTs (most of 'em) But BoP is always a problem here and always will be now that cars are purely commercial products and racing is an afterthought
3. FIA GT3 Real Racing GTs but as with GTE, BoP is always an issue
4. P2 Lower-cost modern prototypes--the entry-level, pro-Am class
5. PC Even lower cost modern prototypes--shouldn't be in a top-tier series but the top of the support series
6. GTC/GTD Should be the support series GT class
7. DP Should be historic racers