Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3254418)   #201
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Perez was a OTT but it was sure exciting to watch. The reason you have the run off area at the chicane is to promote overtaking and keep cars in the race should they arrive at funny angles!

It was a shame about the Kimi biff, but it was inevitable and please people don't keep saying he was wronged, he knew full well he was coming because he was watching his left side mirror into there every lap and to be frank Kimi was naive to think Perez wouldn't try it on, as he had made the moves there already several times that race.

I'm not condoning contact at all, but we must not savage drivers for trying ballsy overtakes. What I hate to see is damaged cars as a result of overtakes but that's a strong possibility with any move at Monaco unless the driver in front is willing to spare some room. Therefore there has to be some common sense on the aggressor and the defender's parts.

Come to think of it, how many of us used to applaud Montoya's opportunism and Lewis's 'rough em up' driving in the past, both drivers who have endured their fair share of crashes as a result of failed overtakes in the past?

A lot of the anti Perez stuff seems to have a bitterness that lies somewhere else I feel, perhaps because he is seen as having taken Hamilton's seat or apparently being seen as not McLaren 'quality'.
Old 28 May 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3254486)   #202
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi vs Perez-Kimi was at fault. No doubt about it in my mind. Kimi turned in a lot earlier than he normally did. He squeezed Perez onto the wall.

Funny thing is, Kimi saying what he has said about Perez makes him a funny guy, or a "cool dude". Can you imagine if say... Hamilton said exactly what Kimi did??? The uproar it would have caused.

Old 28 May 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3254513)   #203
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Kimi turned in a lot earlier than he normally did.
Perhaps the actual data suggests otherwise?
Old 28 May 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3254533)   #204
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Funny thing is, Kimi saying what he has said about Perez makes him a funny guy, or a "cool dude". Can you imagine if say... Hamilton said exactly what Kimi did??? The uproar it would have caused.

Exactly. It would have it's own 20 page thread on here by now.
Old 28 May 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3254565)   #205
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Come to think of it, how many of us used to applaud Montoya's opportunism and Lewis's 'rough em up' driving in the past, both drivers who have endured their fair share of crashes as a result of failed overtakes in the past?
Thing is, neither of those guys were that frequent with crashes and stuffing things up. Very rarely actually, just one or two high profile errors.

Perez hit more people in Bahrain and Monaco than Montoya and Hamilton managed in their F1 careers combined I would imagine.

I accused him of being way too tentative early in the season and now he has gone too far the other way. There is a fine balance to be found here. I am hopeful he will because he is showing OK, although I sense Button has let his head drop and isn't quite driving as quick as he would if things were going well.
Old 28 May 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3254567)   #206
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im trying to recall where Kimi drove into the back of Sutil during the 2008 race here...was it in the same spot?
Old 28 May 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3254569)   #207
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
im trying to recall where Kimi drove into the back of Sutil during the 2008 race here...was it in the same spot?
Yeah, he lost it under braking after the tunnel. Wasn't an overtaking attempt, just a desperately bad driving error.
Old 28 May 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3254713)   #208
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Thing is, neither of those guys were that frequent with crashes and stuffing things up. Very rarely actually, just one or two high profile errors.

Perez hit more people in Bahrain and Monaco than Montoya and Hamilton managed in their F1 careers combined I would imagine.

I accused him of being way too tentative early in the season and now he has gone too far the other way. There is a fine balance to be found here. I am hopeful he will because he is showing OK, although I sense Button has let his head drop and isn't quite driving as quick as he would if things were going well.
I think there is a fine line between completing headline overtakes with 2 cars surviving ok, and those where one or both end up shedding bodywork and wheels. Juan 'got away' with it several times when on another day he might not have lol!

It does though seem like McLaren unleashed a monster when Whitmarsh shoved that 'get a move on' rocket up Checo's jacksy!!

Thing is, Perez for me has innate natural skill and he does have the armoury as he showed in GP2 - he was able to combine patience with killer instinct. Like you say Knowlesy, this year he has gone from one of those extremes to the other and he needs to bring both to the race weekend!

In those 2 Sauber seasons with that slowly slowly catchy monkey tyres approach, maybe we were fooled into thinking he was a Lauda or Prost in the making, when he was actually a Gilles or JPM wannabe!
Old 28 May 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3254754)   #209
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Perez was quite over-optimistic on that last move, but was quite correct to be trying to pass drivers there. It certainly made a point that other drivers weren't trying hard enough. Looking at what Raikkonen did after that you have to wonder why the hell he didn't show some of that earlier in the race and perhaps move up a couple of places.

I think a lot of the criticism is due to Kimi's popularity. Had Perez done that to Sutil for example, he'd be receiving much less heat. Still, banging wheels with Kimi isn't on par with Hamilton's 2011 Monaco performance. How easily we forget...
Old 29 May 2013, 00:00 (Ref:3254778)   #210
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Perez was a OTT but it was sure exciting to watch. The reason you have the run off area at the chicane is to promote overtaking and keep cars in the race should they arrive at funny angles!

It was a shame about the Kimi biff, but it was inevitable and please people don't keep saying he was wronged, he knew full well he was coming because he was watching his left side mirror into there every lap and to be frank Kimi was naive to think Perez wouldn't try it on, as he had made the moves there already several times that race.

I'm not condoning contact at all, but we must not savage drivers for trying ballsy overtakes. What I hate to see is damaged cars as a result of overtakes but that's a strong possibility with any move at Monaco unless the driver in front is willing to spare some room. Therefore there has to be some common sense on the aggressor and the defender's parts.

A lot of the anti Perez stuff seems to have a bitterness that lies somewhere else I feel, perhaps because he is seen as having taken Hamilton's seat or apparently being seen as not McLaren 'quality'.
Old 29 May 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3254874)   #211
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless there is absolutely no doubt otherwise, responsibility for contact lies with the driver attempting to pass.
Old 30 May 2013, 04:56 (Ref:3255283)   #212
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Exactly. It would have it's own 20 page thread on here by now.
Your right but in these matters Hamilton has the history to carry a 20 page thread.
Old 30 May 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3255337)   #213
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
Blame the tyres, not RBR and Mercedes for deciding to cruise all race in order to preserve them in an attempt to do a one stopper.
Vettel had 2 seconds in the bag, as did Rosberg, as did Webber, as did Hamilton, as did almost everybody.

They did the right thing, Vettel's two closer rivals were struggling, no need to push there risking degradation or an accident.
How on earth can you blame the tyres in a race where the fastest lap was set in the last lap by a driver that finished the race with only 1 stop?!

Last edited by werner; 30 May 2013 at 08:45. Reason: spelling error
Old 30 May 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3255348)   #214
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Your right but in these matters Hamilton has the history to carry a 20 page thread.
Since Hamilton gets hsi own thread when he puts another sticker on his crashhelmet, I think this forum is just a bit more focused on Hamilton in general compared to other drivers....
Old 30 May 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3255352)   #215
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
How on earth can you blame the tyres in a race where the fastest lap was set in the last lap by a driver that finished the race with only 1 stop?!
Yes but said driver got a second tyre change during the red flag period.
Old 30 May 2013, 08:57 (Ref:3255355)   #216
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Oh, I forgot about that. It's stupid that they can change tyres during a red flag btw. But we have had that discussion before.

Well, it makes it even more silly that Vettel didn't try to push Rosberg a bit more, even with 'free' fresh rubber.
Old 30 May 2013, 10:32 (Ref:3255380)   #217
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, it makes it even more silly that Vettel didn't try to push Rosberg a bit more, even with 'free' fresh rubber.
The problem was, the car in front of Vettel was a Mercedes. If it was a Red Bull however... things could've been different.
Old 30 May 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3255391)   #218
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Oh, I forgot about that. It's stupid that they can change tyres during a red flag btw. But we have had that discussion before.

Pushing Rosberg could have resulted in a two stop strategy because of the degradation or a broken FW, or a puncture. And Rosberg was sooooooo slow (deliberatly driving to a delta to make the one stopper work) that a second pit stop would've put Vettel in the middle of the pack because all the cars were close one to another.

Rosberg is not in the title hunt, let him have his win and just focus on the championship. Isn't that the right thing to do in such a complicated track as Monaco, and moreover when your rivals are far behind in the race ?
Old 30 May 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3255399)   #219
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I assume Seb was racing for the title, and as soon as the pit stops were complete that was it, he was finishing 2nd. I'd do the same thing.

Even without these poor tyres, there's still almost no passing at Monaco.
Old 30 May 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3255546)   #220
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The problem was, the car in front of Vettel was a Mercedes. If it was a Red Bull however... things could've been different.
Yeah, there probably would have been a collision with both Red Bulls out.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3255875)   #221
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
Pushing Rosberg could have resulted in a two stop strategy because of the degradation or a broken FW, or a puncture. And Rosberg was sooooooo slow (deliberatly driving to a delta to make the one stopper work) that a second pit stop would've put Vettel in the middle of the pack because all the cars were close one to another.

Rosberg is not in the title hunt, let him have his win and just focus on the championship. Isn't that the right thing to do in such a complicated track as Monaco, and moreover when your rivals are far behind in the race ?
I'm with you when we consider the first part of the race. He drove as I would have ie, don't risk having to make more stops than the others.

The point I was making was just about the last part of the race. He let Rosberg run away, when he could easily have followed and put at least a bit of pressure on Rosberg. His rubber was in pristine condition at the end of the race, as showed by his fastest lap on the last lap. So there was no risk at having to make another stop.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3255885)   #222
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm with you when we consider the first part of the race. He drove as I would have ie, don't risk having to make more stops than the others.

The point I was making was just about the last part of the race. He let Rosberg run away, when he could easily have followed and put at least a bit of pressure on Rosberg. His rubber was in pristine condition at the end of the race, as showed by his fastest lap on the last lap. So there was no risk at having to make another stop.
His engineer told him that Rosberg was better on tyres than him, and to leave as much gap as needed, because Hamilton could've attacked Webber and that extra rubber might be needed towards the end of the race.

Look at radio comments on laps : "35" - "40" - "52" on this F1Fanatic article
Quote:
35 - Sebastian your tyres were marginal on the last stint. Wear limited. Take that into account into the next stint. It’ll be difficult.
40 - Sebastian, Rosberg is not marginal on wear at all. Just maintain position. As big a gap as you need.
52 - Hamilton is pushing pretty hard behind Mark, you might need all of your tyres towards the end.
He had enough tyre to do a fast lap, but how many consecutive laps could've he pushed without destroying them ? I think that's the question.