Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3253604)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grosjeans future

Something Eddie Jordan said after the race today got me thinking, apparently Grosjeans drive is up for review after every three races, today was race six, do you think there is any danger he might get eased out for Canada?
Old 26 May 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3253607)   #2
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was a lot of gear he tore up this weekend. Hard decision, he can be quite fast.
Old 26 May 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3253613)   #3
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Something Eddie Jordan said after the race today got me thinking, apparently Grosjeans drive is up for review after every three races, today was race six, do you think there is any danger he might get eased out for Canada?
The way i understand it, is that it isnt his Lotus Contract itself under review, i believe it is his driving standards which are reviewed every 3 races to see if he has calmed down/improved.

However i could be wrong
Old 26 May 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3253614)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He didn't exactly cover himself in glory this weekend, did he....... Being fast just isn't enough.
Old 26 May 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3253615)   #5
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously it was a terrible weekend for him. But let's look at the bigger picture; he got an excellent podium within the last three races, and he was the best driver out there in Canada last year.

He won't be dropped after this, but you have to feel it's last chance saloon. Especially as he has one of the best cars out there. I just wonder what someone like Hulkenberg could do with his car? Or, perhaps delving into utter fantasy, Kubica?
Old 26 May 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3253648)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I said in the race thread I don't expect to see him in the Canadian GP.
Old 26 May 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3253649)   #7
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Obviously it was a terrible weekend for him. But let's look at the bigger picture; he got an excellent podium within the last three races, and he was the best driver out there in Canada last year.

He won't be dropped after this, but you have to feel it's last chance saloon. Especially as he has one of the best cars out there. I just wonder what someone like Hulkenberg could do with his car? Or, perhaps delving into utter fantasy, Kubica?
If Grosjean is to be replaced then it is not going to be easy for whoever comes in. The reserve driver is Jerome D'Ambrosio but I cannot remember him getting much seat time so it will be difficult for him to come in mid season. However if Enstone were to start using him on Friday mornings then it would make a change easier.
Old 26 May 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3253653)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be easy to come in after Grosjean. Simply avoid crashing and you will have earnt the drive.

The only easier drivers on the grid to replace are Chilton and Maldonado.
Old 26 May 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3253711)   #9
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Valsecchi the reserve driver rather than d'Ambrosio? Neither have the raw pace Grosjean has, so I would be more inclined to trust that Romain will keep it sensible rather than hope the reserve will get up to speed.
Old 26 May 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3253716)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Who gets the seat though? d'Ambrosio? I don't think so. Glock is tied to BMW. Bruno Senna? Could be wrestled from Aston Martin I suppose, but he'd want more of a contract than I think Renault are in a position to give.

Which leaves two obvious possibilities.

Kobayashi. A popular choice, quick and experienced. I'd imagine a good pairing for Kimi. Has driven the Pirellis. Only question mark really is what deal if any does he have with Toyota?

And that leaves just one, and might be my first port of call. Alguersuari. I know, but give it a few minutes thought.
Old 26 May 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3253717)   #11
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It would be easy to come in after Grosjean. Simply avoid crashing and you will have earnt the drive.

The only easier drivers on the grid to replace are Chilton and Maldonado.
It always surprises me the low opinion people have of Maldonado.
Be that as it may however, seeing as Chilton and Maldonado bring large portions of their respective team's budget you could say neither are at all replaceable.
Old 26 May 2013, 23:32 (Ref:3253724)   #12
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I would be ecstatic if Kobayashi could take his spot. He got robbed imo. Should be in Perez's spot or No-Gro.
Old 26 May 2013, 23:43 (Ref:3253731)   #13
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would Bruno Senna return when he knows they are likely to just dump him again as they did in the past? Aston Martin is a good solid drive with a steady income, and I think his F1 ship has sailed for better or for worse.

Maybe Pirrelli will ask Lotus to do a test and they can bring their young third driver up to speed for Canada?
Old 27 May 2013, 00:01 (Ref:3253735)   #14
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expect Kovalainen to be getting a call.....
Old 27 May 2013, 02:02 (Ref:3253761)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Expect Kovalainen to be getting a call.....
I think it might have been Ted Kravitz who made what at the time sounded like a random comment outside the Caterham garage during the post race that he was surprised Heikki who was supposed to be doing first free practice sessions wasn't doing it and he wondered out loud why.

Maybe connected.

Not a bad call and probably he's still familiar with some of the Enstone staff.
Old 27 May 2013, 04:17 (Ref:3253802)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
It always surprises me the low opinion people have of Maldonado.
Be that as it may however, seeing as Chilton and Maldonado bring large portions of their respective team's budget you could say neither are at all replaceable.
I am a fan of the on-form, race winning Maldonado. But when the car is off he is one of the worst drivers in history.

Unlike Grosjean, though, he is a race winner.
Old 27 May 2013, 04:19 (Ref:3253804)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Grosjean to replace Massa at Ferrari?...
Old 27 May 2013, 06:42 (Ref:3253831)   #18
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
What a waste of possible the best all round car on the grid. He has the IQ of a letterbox. Surely he cannot see out the season. Take DR or JEV I reckon
Old 27 May 2013, 06:48 (Ref:3253833)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Grosjean to replace Massa at Ferrari?...
This year or next? Potsie is being lined up for a seat alongside Mr Alonso next year apparently...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 May 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3253867)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post

I was a big fan of his, particularly pre-F1, but I have to say he's had far too many chances to prove himself... and it's clear he's not been a match for Kimi in terms of speed or results. As of today - [Kimi 2nd with 86 points, Grosjean 9th with 26 points]. The Renault's a title contending car and the second one shouldn't be that far behind. I know he's bringing funds to the team... so they'll have to weigh that up against what a better driver would be capable of in terms of finishes and the end of year Bernie money.
Old 27 May 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3253920)   #21
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
This year or next? Potsie is being lined up for a seat alongside Mr Alonso next year apparently...
Link?????
Old 27 May 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3253925)   #22
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's nothing wrong with Romain Grosjean's raw driving talent. Nothing at all. Infact, I would go as far as to say he is probably in the top 5 'fastest' drivers on the grid. The problem Grosjean has is mental, a concentration issue. He loses focus too easily. Grosjean does not need driver coaching, as was once offered to him by sir Jackie Stewart. He's got plenty of raw driving talent. He needs to get his mental space sorted when on the track, and then we would see a different picture. Pictures of Romain on the podium more often.

Unfortunately for Romain, you only get one chance in F1 these days (unless you bring bags of money). And IMO, he's very close to blowing his one and only chance. He will be at Canada. I'm 100% confident of that. But one more 'brain fade' in the next three races or so, and I can't see him driving for Lotus F1 in the last few races of the season.
Old 27 May 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3253943)   #23
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
There's nothing wrong with Romain Grosjean's raw driving talent. Nothing at all. Infact, I would go as far as to say he is probably in the top 5 'fastest' drivers on the grid. The problem Grosjean has is mental, a concentration issue. He loses focus too easily. Grosjean does not need driver coaching, as was once offered to him by sir Jackie Stewart. He's got plenty of raw driving talent. He needs to get his mental space sorted when on the track, and then we would see a different picture. Pictures of Romain on the podium more often.

Unfortunately for Romain, you only get one chance in F1 these days (unless you bring bags of money). And IMO, he's very close to blowing his one and only chance. He will be at Canada. I'm 100% confident of that. But one more 'brain fade' in the next three races or so, and I can't see him driving for Lotus F1 in the last few races of the season.
I'm not sure it's a 'mental issue'... several times now pundits have been surmising that he could have a problem with peripheral vision and judgement... which while it's not related to his speed... is nonetheless a driving problem.
Old 27 May 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3253946)   #24
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
crossant said something interesting, he blamed dan for breaking too early in the middle of the road before the chicane, after looking at some replays, he does have a point.
Old 27 May 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3253974)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I got a feeling it's the last we've seen of him, personally.

Could be totally wrong, but I very much get the impression they've lost/are losing patience with him fast. And I can't blame them anymore.

My mate made a good suggestion - what about Heikki to replace him? He'll do a solid job for the remainder of the season and has a point to prove. Everything to gain for him. Besides, he was Mr Consistency at Lotus/Caterham.

Please, no one suggest Heidfeld again....

Selby