Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3035596)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Porsche Curve Challenge

Forget pole, forget the winner, let's work out who is going to win the real prize.
Which car will be the fastest through the Porsche Curves in the 2012 edition of Le Mans?

OK this is just for fun, however it has an interesting side to it. The LMP cars are getting very sophisticated aero wise and this is a little test to judge that. It is also dictated by a design philosophy, top speed or aero. Throw on top of that general efficiency and there is scope for a decent discussion. This is a discussion that is being conducted in the middle of a couple of other threads, but this is a chance to allow that without being interrupted.

How should we judge the winner of the Porsche Curve Challenge? That is easy, the winner is chosen by chernaudi and TF110.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3035603)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is there a definitive measurement available from the ACO - or RLM?
Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3035616)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are sector times and speed measurements, but I think the sector is too big and the speed traps elsewhere?
Old 5 Mar 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3035649)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it will be the old R18 with which ever driver is the most committed.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 05:13 (Ref:3035761)   #5
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Deltawing.

On a serious note, Strakka's HPD with D. Watts driving.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3036092)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Can I go for a complete wildcard here? Whichever 458 Italia trips up an R18...
Old 14 Mar 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3040889)   #7
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Porsche 997 RSR 2012 or Ferrari 458, for the GT-PROs
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3050651)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Will LHD or RHD make the difference?
Old 29 Mar 2012, 23:39 (Ref:3050670)   #9
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hey, I think DOME will be the fastest through the Porsche Curves! I kid.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 01:18 (Ref:3050682)   #10
Prometheus
Rookie

Germany
Dortmund
Prometheus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
There are sector times and speed measurements, but I think the sector is too big and the speed traps elsewhere?
In the last few years the official timing documents did actually incorporate speeds and times for some specific sections of the track. I've still got it on my notebook and can tell you, for exaple, that in Qualifying 1 Rockenfeller was fastest through the Porsche curves in 15.974 sec (254.2 kph). The other "specific sectors" were Turn 6/7 and the Ford chicanes. I guess/hope they'll have similar data this year, as it's quite helpful.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 05:10 (Ref:3050701)   #11
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
My vote goes to Marino Franchitti in the Deltawing: Mach 0.39 at 500ft.

Thunderbirds are go!
Old 30 Mar 2012, 07:12 (Ref:3050717)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
In the last few years the official timing documents did actually incorporate speeds and times for some specific sections of the track. I've still got it on my notebook and can tell you, for exaple, that in Qualifying 1 Rockenfeller was fastest through the Porsche curves in 15.974 sec (254.2 kph). The other "specific sectors" were Turn 6/7 and the Ford chicanes. I guess/hope they'll have similar data this year, as it's quite helpful.
Wow, thank you. Let's hope they do that again.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3050810)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
You mean this MIGHT get meaningful, and accurate. I'm off...

Having left you with Rocky, in the e-Tron R18
Old 6 Apr 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3054477)   #14
Prometheus
Rookie

Germany
Dortmund
Prometheus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
You mean this MIGHT get meaningful, and accurate. I'm off...
I hope I haven't killed this thread by saying there actually IS a way to determine who was fastest through the Porsche curves.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 17:10 (Ref:3054548)   #15
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
In the latest dutch autosport magazine RTLGP,there's a nice interview with Jan Lammers, called 'The 10 of Jan' , about his 10 most favoured corners. It's very applicable for this thread. Here it is translated:

Porsche curves, Le Mans

"Even after 24 hours you approach these corners like "Ha,they're letting me go again!" With a good car you can enter them so incredibly fast. They drop in speed the further you get into them. The first one is the quickest, the second goes slightly uphill,crossing over a side road underneath you,and then downhill. So very fast right,a fraction less fast left,uphill,left again,downhill(the little bridge, here's where one can go wrong quite easilly,because of the small 'hop' over the bridge) mowing the grass a little through a long right and then the final lefthander. That's an off camber. I once spun a Jaguar there and whent so fast straight backwards that both the doors popped open upon which the windshield shattered. When I spun on and the car straightend itself,the doors neatly shut again. "What did you hit" they asked my in the pits, "Nothing" I said. I had to explain that a couple of times to them..."

Jan Lammers, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by GTfour; 6 Apr 2012 at 17:17.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3054811)   #16
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A-Lott, Fassler and Treluyer were pretty committed through them last year, so my vote's for one of them. Probably A-Lott.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3057359)   #17
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Davidson will be fast through there as well. Hell, he will be fast everywhere. Watch out for Sebass in the DOME. They may not have the best downforce, but they'll definitely be quick. It's going to be a great battle.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3057376)   #18
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tom K in the e-tron R18
Old 11 Apr 2012, 20:16 (Ref:3057382)   #19
tonypowe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
tonypowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fassler in the Audi
Old 20 Apr 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3062716)   #20
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm thinking Waltrip in the Ferrari just before he launches off into the weeds!
Old 7 May 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3070885)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
In http://www.lemanslive.com/en/2012/05...llon-flat-out/ Dumas explains that "the new R18 ultra is completely different to the R18 TDI" and that he could do Raidillon flat out for the first time in an Audi prototype. The front suspension and the steering have been changed significantly since last year.
Advantage Ultra?
Or e-tron if wet?
Old 8 May 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3070980)   #22
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
I'm thinking Waltrip in the Ferrari just before he launches off into the weeds!
Too bad he isn't competing...
Old 8 May 2012, 06:35 (Ref:3070981)   #23
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Too bad he isn't competing...
No, but by the auspices of Spa, Brian Vickers should be a good entrant in the "fastest before smacking the wall in the Porsche Curves" challenge.
Old 8 May 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3071259)   #24
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
As I said earlier, it depends on which Audi hit him...
Old 17 May 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3075885)   #25
Erw
Racer

Netherlands
Amersfoort, Holland
Erw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do i get from the "village" to the Porsche curves?