Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Oct 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2963307)   #376
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
As for Level 5, I assume they could just enter one car as an ALMS car and the other a WEC car. Maybe Tucker could score points in both that way if they are seperate races. If they are the same race, however, I guess he could only be scored in one. RIght?
I would have thought both cars would claim WEC and ALMS points.

ALMS focused teams will need to make a choice whether to go with ALMS or ACO regs, this will only be a factor if the team has Le Mans ambitions, given only ACO compliant cars may be able to claim a Le Mans entry prize.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 02:02 (Ref:2963311)   #377
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what is going to be the structure for results and classes (not points) at Sebring next year?

Will it be situation A or B:

A -
ALMS LMP1
WEC LMP1
ALMS LMP2
WEC LMP2
ALMS GT
WEC GTE-Pro
WEC GTE-Am
ALMS LMPC
ALMS GTC

B -
LMP1 consisting of WEC and ALMS rules cars
LMP2 consisting of WEC and ALMS rules cars
GT/GTE-Pro consisting of WEC and ALMS rules cars
GTE-Am consisting of WEC rules cars
LMPC consisting of ALMS rules cars
GTC consisting of GTC rules cars

In situation A, the points structure is obvious. In situation B, the points structure would be similar to 2011. I'm also assuming that it would be impossible for a team to score points in both WEC and ALMS with the same entry under situation A unless a single car essentially runs two races at a time and the car runs to common rules. Anyway, I'm a little confused as to whether this is adding a whole new set of classes (albeit some very similar to others) or whether it is business as usual with the exception that ALMS rules cars will run to ALMS rules.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 02:23 (Ref:2963315)   #378
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
A makes my eyes hurt.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 04:25 (Ref:2963330)   #379
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
A makes my eyes hurt.
Could you imagine the yellows with that many classes?

Perhaps a solution could be made of standardizing the rules for LMP2 and maybe GT/GTE-Pro so that those classes could operate under my "situation B" while LMP1 runs under "situation A." I don't know if the ACO and IMSA can pull that off though. I really have idea how this is going to work.

In other news, I wonder what LMP2 team Dagys is referring to here:

Quote:
In talking to series’ stakeholders during the annual “State of the Series” address, Atherton admitted the car counts in both premier prototype categories are “unacceptably low” but he is confident of new LMP2 programs that are in the pipeline. SPEED.com heard of one possible new/returning effort that could join Level 5, although it’s not yet confirmed.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...y-notebook2/P1
Old 1 Oct 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2963362)   #380
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
One of the reasons why sports car racing is a bit harder to follow for casual fans than other racing is the class structure. Five classes should be the absolute maximum, I have no idea why the series insists on making it even more complicated...

If they want the WEC to be a mainstream success they have to keep things simple. The four-class approach is perfect.. you have both prototypes and GTs, one class for pros and one for amateurs... that's easy to understand.

But I doubt any casual fan is able or willing to learn the distinction between different rule sets of different series.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2963365)   #381
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
But I doubt any casual fan is able or willing to learn the distinction between different rule sets of different series.
Yay. No more casual fans!
Old 1 Oct 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2963370)   #382
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're still stuck with you damn Aucklanders! :lol: Joking!

Not sure if it's a good thing for the sport to lose casual fans as I don't think the hardcore among us can really keep viewership numbers up...
Old 1 Oct 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2963372)   #383
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the second OAK/DAMS P2 is not an ILMC entry.
IIRC it was originally a Le Mans-only entry- taking up one of the guaranteed entries Oak were awarded based on 2010 results.
Nicolet and Premat then drove it at Imola, when the regular #24 LMP1 entry was absent after being shunted at Le Mans
Old 1 Oct 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2963374)   #384
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
Yay. No more casual fans!
You can't build a world championship on a few thousand anoraks who are willing to learn all these details, you need to get the general public interested as well.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2963391)   #385
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You can't build a world championship on a few thousand anoraks who are willing to learn all these details, you need to get the general public interested as well.
Plus with out joe public I'm sure we would have quite a few empty grandstands. Compare when F1 goes to Bahrain and Silverstone for example.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2963426)   #386
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You don't need to make a distinction, this season we've had GTE-Pro/AM, I look at it as one class with the finer details only being of interest to actual teams.

BTW, grid rumours for 2012.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...08ADAC2BB78491
Old 1 Oct 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2963427)   #387
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I don't think you need to make the distinction, this season we've had GTE-Pro/AM, I look at it as one class with the finer details only being of interest to the actual teams.
IMHO they should make GTE-Am cars elegible for Pro-points, but not the other way around...
Old 1 Oct 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2963518)   #388
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
IMHO they should make GTE-Am cars elegible for Pro-points, but not the other way around...
Good idea. Or make it like that but have a separate cup/points for the am cars but no separate class. I guess the am teams has been asked but I wonder do they really like winning in a secondary class more than possibly sometimes having sudden successes in a single class. I don't like this "everybody wins" thing.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2963727)   #389
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
11 races next year the first tbd race is after laguna seca so I'm guessing infineon the second one is before petit, so I'm guessing Austin as that track will be ready by this time next year
Old 1 Oct 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2963732)   #390
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think they'll find a way to get Austin ready in time for F1, but it will NOT be ready two months in advance of that, especially when countries with MUCH more lax labour laws can barely get the other tracks done in time.

If Sears Point is back, I would expect it to be the slot after Baltimore. They went there once in May, in 2002, and it rained. The race went right back to its usual July slot for 2003.

Maybe that May/June slot is Portland. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy with that, and hopefully the weather would be cooler then.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2963766)   #391
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think they'll find a way to get Austin ready in time for F1, but it will NOT be ready two months in advance of that, especially when countries with MUCH more lax labour laws can barely get the other tracks done in time.

If Sears Point is back, I would expect it to be the slot after Baltimore. They went there once in May, in 2002, and it rained. The race went right back to its usual July slot for 2003.

Maybe that May/June slot is Portland. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy with that, and hopefully the weather would be cooler then.
It's expected that the Austin track will be ready by July/August, the second TBD race is before Petit which would be around this time next year, I can totally see them using Austin. Our labor laws are stricter but Americans are the most productive, and efficient when it comes to building. I've worked for a high rise developer, I know.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2963782)   #392
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, I'm still not convinced Austin is going to be done that far in advance, and it's not just because of the labor. There are money and political issues, like Austin itself annexing the property on which the track is located.

Also, I've heard specifically that ALMS was NOT specifically being courted by Circuit of the Americas.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2964243)   #393
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Rumours from PLM are suggesting that Cytosport will run a P1 HPD next year .
Old 2 Oct 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2964247)   #394
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease be the Wirth Coupe!
Old 2 Oct 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2964251)   #395
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease be the Wirth Coupe!
I hope its the open topper . Theres enough Coupe's in the ALMS .

Love to see someone run pescarolo's ex tub .
Old 2 Oct 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2964257)   #396
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Rumours from PLM are suggesting that Cytosport will run a P1 HPD next year .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Quote:
Not confirmed but heavily discussed is the story that Cytosport will be returning for a full season with a P1 HPD-03a.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2964281)   #397
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant wait to see the new hpd in cytosport colors. Imho this p1 hpd is one of the most beautiful lmp cars of the last few years. I somewhat hoped that porsche would build an open p1 based on the rs spyder evo but with bigger front wheels like the hpd... But i guess that beautiful design was thrown into the trash and they are starting with a clean sheet.

So... fin is mandatory now even in alms? Thats would be a shame.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2964282)   #398
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Yes driver safety is a shame...

With the colours used in the Cytosport livery I'm sure the big honking fin would just be painted black.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2964283)   #399
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Do people still complain about the fins? To be honest, I don't even notice them anymore, especially not if they´re well integrated in the design of the car..like the R18.

I´ve never seen one without the fin and I never well, so it's just part of the car's design for me.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2964342)   #400
The Badger
Veteran

The R18 in my mind , has the woest looking fin , and the top is highlighted in dayglo . Its foul !!!