Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2426164)   #51
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I'm glad they liked my text-in question haha I asked about the KERS off the starting line during the race.
Yes I heard that, it was something I hadn't thought about. Just in case anyone missed it, cars running KERS might be able to make up two rows off the start line Nice one Selby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canberra>karter View Post
That may be less to do with BBC and more to do with the F1 hosts broadcasting in HD and 5.1 surround sound now.
BBC isn't broadcasting F1 in HD, but that's not their fault. They're not allowed to use the high definition feed unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It is an anoraks dream.

And good coverage works wonders towards helping your overall enthusiasm.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2426165)   #52
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it, there's loads of build up, and the red button stuff is great, plus the texting in is a nice touch.

Exciting times.

Oh and showing the classic GP's is an ace idea!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2426172)   #53
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I can't believe they're allowed to pre-charge their KERS system. That's surely against the idea of using it on-track as brake induced kinetic energy, surely? :P

But yeah it was good to hear a definitive answer, nonetheless. I suppose they just wouldn't have read the question if they didn't know the answer!

Much alike that Holly Samos or whatever her name was... I know someone's bad when i'm sitting there correcting them out-aloud myself. Or maybe that just confirms i'm an anorak..?

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2426176)   #54
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Much alike that Holly Samos or whatever her name was... I know someone's bad when i'm sitting there correcting them out-aloud myself.
They're all at it!

Ant's just said that CFD stands Computational Fluid Design, which it doesn't.

Joking aside though, Davidson's a natural in this role, just like Brundle.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2426180)   #55
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I can't believe they're allowed to pre-charge their KERS system. That's surely against the idea of using it on-track as brake induced kinetic energy, surely? :P
Selby
Would they get enough charge on the warm up lap?

Quote:
Or maybe that just confirms i'm an anorak..?

Selby
Hope it's a nice colour
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2426184)   #56
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I watched it this morning listening to Maurice and Ian. A hell of a lot better than just watching the practices online with no commentary like last year.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2426188)   #57
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Would they get enough charge on the warm up lap?

Hope it's a nice colour
This was my question - Would the out lap be sufficient charge for a KERS burst off the line? The response was that they could pre-charge their KERS system whilst in the pits prior to the race, which I must say I find a little surprising.

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2426197)   #58
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Much alike that Holly Samos or whatever her name was... I know someone's bad when i'm sitting there correcting them out-aloud myself. Or maybe that just confirms i'm an anorak..?

Selby
Hey Dan
You said you wanted to dress up for Monacco...Nicely pressed anorak?
Or a groovy tie-dyed job?
Just a thought.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2426198)   #59
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
lmao Tie-dyed is so me...

Saying that, anything is a better suggestion than the no clothes suggestion

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2426200)   #60
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, just watching session one now and it's fantastic! Ant is very good (as is Croft but I think we all knew that) it's great to get the view of someone who was driving so recently and with such knowledge of what these cars are like.

Also watched the old GP's on the red button yesterday (am currently sat with tonsilitis, means I have plenty of spare time) and that was brilliant, hope to see that carried through all season.

Just looking forward to hearing the chain tomorrow
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2426203)   #61
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprobane View Post
Yep, just watching session one now and it's fantastic! Ant is very good (as is Croft but I think we all knew that) it's great to get the view of someone who was driving so recently and with such knowledge of what these cars are like.

Also watched the old GP's on the red button yesterday (am currently sat with tonsilitis, means I have plenty of spare time) and that was brilliant, hope to see that carried through all season.

Just looking forward to hearing the chain tomorrow
Another member of the tonsillitis crew!

Man I know what it's like having so much time on your hands... People are very jelous, but it just makes waiting for the F1 take even longer!

Mine's clearing up now (apparently), but it's the 4th time i've had it in 6 weeks, and I've been put through for a tonsillectomy

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2426206)   #62
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
they could pre-charge their KERS system whilst in the pits prior to the race
Come race day, I wonder how defensive the drivers who are in grid-slots in front of cars with 80bhp more than them will be. They are obviously going to want to defend their positions, but they'll be doing so against much faster-accelerating cars. Turn one could get very messy, as could the grid. Hopefully we won't see a nose-to-tail shunt off the start-line, but I won't be surprised if we see an incident requiring a Safety Car or a red flag.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:22 (Ref:2426211)   #63
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have rated Ant's commentary style for some time - his comments on R5Live during the British GP last year were great broadcasting - he did not hold Massa in high esteem at all....!!!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2426217)   #64
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
Come race day, I wonder how defensive the drivers who are in grid-slots in front of cars with 80bhp more than them will be. They are obviously going to want to defend their positions, but they'll be doing so against much faster-accelerating cars. Turn one could get very messy, as could the grid. Hopefully we won't see a nose-to-tail shunt off the start-line, but I won't be surprised if we see an incident requiring a Safety Car or a red flag.
They've mentioned a sweep stake in the paddock a few times on how many front wings are going to be lost on turn one, conservative estimates were somewhere around at least a quarter of the grid!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2426227)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Last year at the start did 75% of the grid get another car within the area in front of the front wheels where those new biots of wing are? Crikey they were closer than I thought!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2426237)   #66
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Davidson's a natural in this role, just like Brundle.
It's probably sacrilege to say so, but I think he might even be better. He brings more recent knowledge to the subject and has a lighter touch. The bubbly sense of humour is always there, but he was very politically correct when dealing with the question of Bruno Senna. Definitely a top bloke.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2426301)   #67
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on so far thank the Lord the drivel has gone, and informative and researched commentry has replaced ITV's former offerings.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2426305)   #68
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loving the small preview show ! select 5 on multiscreen
Old 27 Mar 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2426307)   #69
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Just watching it now, so far very good. Very very good for something thats just on the red button.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2426322)   #70
markwallace
Rookie

markwallace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canberra>karter View Post
That may be less to do with BBC and more to do with the F1 hosts broadcasting in HD and 5.1 surround sound now.
It's a shame that FOM aren't prepared to make the HD feed available to the BBC.

"A decision about F1 and HD sits primarily with the rights holder (F1/Bernie Ecclestone), rather than with the BBC. We are keen to do it as soon as possible." http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...og_patrol.html
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2426330)   #71
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not just the BBC, I believe. F1 has been shot in HD since '07, but Bernie only allows SD pictures to leave the circuit. I can kinda see Bernie standing in the way of a lot of things the Beeb would like to do in addition to their existing coverage...
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2426338)   #72
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I'm one of the few who dislike Ants commentary. From the word go at Hungary it was all about himself, right up to the point where Jenson crossed the line, and Ant was still talking about himself. Yesterday wasn't much different, but the constant dumb questions began to annoy me. FP1s commentary wasn't much of an improvement over ITV, reading out silly texts and having silly conversations. FP2s I found far more professional and insightful.

I'd rather have Coulthard as second commentator over Davidson. With no team links anymore (unlike Ant) he can he more harsh in his comments, rather than side stepping around questions (like that Bruno Senna question) and giving long drawn out answers.

Commentary isn't easy. I sure as hell couldn't do it. But I don't think Ant is really that good tbh. Stick to driving - I rate Ant there.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2426343)   #73
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So far I think BBC look to be doing an incredible job, remember under ITV we wouldn't have had any coverage at all yet except maybe a preview show as I don't remember them ever covering FP at all. If the qualy and race coverage is as much better than what we have seen so far as I expect and they continue to cover FP and the build up to each race as well as they have done in Australia then they have outclassed ITV by a country mile.

And of course The Chain is back, you can see the start of the new titles on the web site but they are making us wait for the whole thing till 5:00am tommorrow.

Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2426346)   #74
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/20...new-f1-tv.html

Theres the link.

Didn't actually watch it myself as I want to wait untill it is to be followed by some f1.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2426348)   #75
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The opening few seconds of the BBC title sequence has been uploaded onto thier site. Don't click below if you want to wait till tomorrow morning!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/20...new-f1-tv.html