Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 3 Sep 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3450027)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 WSBR @ Hungaroring

I start this thread with news that Nicholas Latifi will drive for Tech 1 for this round and at Paul Ricard. Being a higher-mid-pack driver in Euro F3 it would be interesting to see how he stacks up against Sørensen...
Old 4 Sep 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3450140)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Latifi seems to have gone backwards this year?

He was quite strong in 2013.

Change of scene sometimes refreshes a driver's motivation and abilities as maybe the case with Sorensen in GP2.
Old 8 Sep 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3451248)   #3
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latifi looked impressive in the PCC GB at Rockingham last weekend, although that's a different racing category.

Big news just in that Esteban Ocon will drive here with Comtec Racing. I really hope he comes in and just blitzes the field, and if he doesn't then perhaps Mr Marko will have a few sleepless nights...
Old 9 Sep 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3451424)   #4
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will see for his first F3 race he went for a top ten finish at Macau.

Moreover there is only a 6 seconds gap between 3.5 series car and an F3 car at Budapest which is only due to the difference of power which is around 300hp. i think that the main question mark, is that the 2014 f3 engines are less throttle sensitive which make it easier to drive aggresively.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 08:48 (Ref:3451425)   #5
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice to see at least 23 cars at Budapest.

Good sign for the series.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3451458)   #6
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not the greatest field so he'll do ok I think. Any sign of Verstappen doing a few rounds. I think I read somewhere when he got the F1 seat that was the plan
Old 13 Sep 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3452899)   #7
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Two words:

Roberto Merhi

Wow.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 20:43 (Ref:3453004)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
how convenient

remember nico muller thrashed everyone to a similar degree in damp conditions last year. it's one of those where if you get everything hooked up, it's relly difficult to be caught!
Old 14 Sep 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3453184)   #9
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Merhi yet again gets pole, stealing it off Sainz in mad conditions. When van Buuren lines up 6th, the conditions were mad!!!

Ocon crashed heavily and didn't set a time. It should be interesting to see how he can recover in the race...
Old 14 Sep 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3453213)   #10
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and we end up having a 2nd upside down car of the weekend, this time at the start, cue a SC
Old 14 Sep 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3453221)   #11
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ocon's car didn't start due to damage.

van Buuren is having a great run, perhaps today is just his day. It certainly isn't Sainz's...
Old 14 Sep 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3453245)   #12
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Gasly is doing very well. Still in title hunt.

Even though he failed to win , he seems to be rather mature and intelligent for his age.

Fast over one lap, good race pace, good overtaker. He is doing a better job than Antonio Felix Da Costa who was much more experienced back in 2013.

Pierre has only 70 races of car racing.

It will be interesting to see where Gasly will end up in 2015 as the ticket kvyat / verstappen is here to stay at least for 2015 and 2016 if Vettel stays there.

Gp2?
3.5 series?
Dumped by Red Bull?

Last edited by Rf1 Fan; 14 Sep 2014 at 13:56.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3453297)   #13
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fingers crossed for Mehri to win this, he is anyway a better talent than Sainz
Old 14 Sep 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3453319)   #14
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think Merhi has the momentum with him, and with his morale being on a high (what a weekend he had here, and he may well make an F1 appearance soon) and given Sainz's (seriously, how does the apostrophe work here???!!!) recent struggles, it's hard to see Merhi not take the championship lead.

Shame about Ocon, I thought he would've done a lot better, but he ended up debuting in the toughest weekend the series has had since... ...Hungaroring last year...
Old 14 Sep 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3453327)   #15
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I think Merhi has the momentum with him, and with his morale being on a high (what a weekend he had here, and he may well make an F1 appearance soon) and given Sainz's (seriously, how does the apostrophe work here???!!!) recent struggles, it's hard to see Merhi not take the championship lead.

Shame about Ocon, I thought he would've done a lot better, but he ended up debuting in the toughest weekend the series has had since... ...Hungaroring last year...
Ocon made to the points, but i think that he was also over driving the car. Lack of knowledge of the car + tougher conditions drying track+midfield car+ Over driving.

Still a fine debut.

Carlos Sainz Jr is very fast but i think that he is lacking something in other compartiment of racing such as driving under pressure from somebody, swift and sharp overtaking on dry conditions. This is where i think Merhi is making difference.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3453692)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Merhi was simply stunning on Saturday. Totally different planet.

Bella rightly mentions Muller from last year but I don't recall anyone ever dishing out as sucha drubbing of a quality field as Merhi did.

Not only that it was a joy to see the guy chucking it about and experimenting with lines to aid his progress.

Felt bit sorry for Rowland who didn't really do anything wrong, just not quite as confident on the day.

Sainz put in a mega recovery drive I thought, lot of confidence in the wettest early stages but what was the problem on Sunday?

Merhi is really coming on strong and Sainz who looked invincible until the summer will really needto knuckle down now. A lot more than just this title is at stake.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3453720)   #17
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Merhi can win the championship in a Zeta Corse over the coddled Red Bull junior in a DAMS prepared car, that would be quite the achievement. I think he'll need for one of the final two weekends to be wet to get it done though, the DAMS is just too good in stable conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Bella rightly mentions Muller from last year but I don't recall anyone ever dishing out as sucha drubbing of a quality field as Merhi did.
I wouldn't call it a quality field though. There are no superstars here and the shallow top of the points is populated by good-but-not-great drivers. Once you get to Stevens and Sirotkin, the floor starts falling out.

Merhi is the solid veteran (not of this series, but overall) and, despite a less than ideal team, he's showing up the young guns who really aren't all that.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 06:46 (Ref:3453808)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I think the large part of the entry would more than hold their own in GP2 with the top half dozen comparable with the front of the current GP2 line up anyway.

It would be interesting to see how Ocon gets on with more mileage and Wehrlein now he's been given Merc F1 reserve duties.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3453867)   #19
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
If Merhi can win the championship in a Zeta Corse over the coddled Red Bull junior in a DAMS prepared car, that would be quite the achievement. I think he'll need for one of the final two weekends to be wet to get it done though, the DAMS is just too good in stable conditions. I wouldn't call it a quality field though. There are no superstars here and the shallow top of the points is populated by good-but-not-great drivers. Once you get to Stevens and Sirotkin, the floor starts falling out.

Merhi is the solid veteran (not of this series, but overall) and, despite a less than ideal team, he's showing up the young guns who really aren't all that.

I do not agree.

Marco Sorensen performances and Gasly first race in Gp2 shows there is plenty of pace in 3.5 series.

In fact i would say that midfield of the table is even more competitive than last year.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3453934)   #20
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you put i.e. Jenson Button in GP2, he'll also suffer because he would have his huge experience, but he has never driven this car and these exact tires. But his fastest competitors have been driving it for full 3 years.
Think who was the last noteworthy GP2 driver who went in F1? 2-3 years ago Stockinger or Amberg weren't any less "special" than Palmer, Richelmi, Ceccotto and co.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3453962)   #21
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
If you put i.e. Jenson Button in GP2, he'll also suffer because he would have his huge experience, but he has never driven this car and these exact tires. But his fastest competitors have been driving it for full 3 years.
Think who was the last noteworthy GP2 driver who went in F1? 2-3 years ago Stockinger or Amberg weren't any less "special" than Palmer, Richelmi, Ceccotto and co.
Yeah this very true.

I kind of struggle to see how people can judge that somebody like Cecotto or Palmer can be better than Sainz Jr,Rowland,Gasly or Rowland. You always have to balance your judgment with experience.

In fact a guy like Palmer has been racing in cars for the last decade. The same goes for Coletti or Cecotto.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3453979)   #22
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf1 Fan View Post
Yeah this very true.

I kind of struggle to see how people can judge that somebody like Cecotto or Palmer can be better than Sainz Jr,Rowland,Gasly or Rowland. You always have to balance your judgment with experience.

In fact a guy like Palmer has been racing in cars for the last decade. The same goes for Coletti or Cecotto.
The only real exception I can think of is Felipe Nasr. He's an amazing talent imo but has never quite had enough in his package to win the Feature races, which means he's further down the grid for the Sprint. Still, he's very consistent and very fast.

In some ways that's why it's nice to see guys like Vandoorne come into GP2 and win in their first ever race. For someone to do that in GP2s current climate says to me that he is a very special talent. It's the same with Merhi lapping 4 seconds per lap faster than his nearest rival in R1 last weekend. That was a special performance that I doubt many of the current F1 grid (or any active racing drivers) could've done, even with Merhi's experience. But he's been out of single-seaters for the last 2 seasons (which is bizarrely why he can't get a superlicense!!!) so that won't account for as much as Palmer's experience in GP2.

However, it is all very hard to judge (which is why Berger wants to "clean up" the F1 ladder) and I guess it's all down to opinion, but that's mine right there!
Old 16 Sep 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3454007)   #23
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
The only real exception I can think of is Felipe Nasr. He's an amazing talent imo but has never quite had enough in his package to win the Feature races, which means he's further down the grid for the Sprint. Still, he's very consistent and very fast.

In some ways that's why it's nice to see guys like Vandoorne come into GP2 and win in their first ever race. For someone to do that in GP2s current climate says to me that he is a very special talent. It's the same with Merhi lapping 4 seconds per lap faster than his nearest rival in R1 last weekend. That was a special performance that I doubt many of the current F1 grid (or any active racing drivers) could've done, even with Merhi's experience. But he's been out of single-seaters for the last 2 seasons (which is bizarrely why he can't get a superlicense!!!) so that won't account for as much as Palmer's experience in GP2.

However, it is all very hard to judge (which is why Berger wants to "clean up" the F1 ladder) and I guess it's all down to opinion, but that's mine right there!
I think that the likes of Palmer,Cecotto or Coletti would be very good LMP1 drivers. Bringing budget to privateer in LMP1 thater than staying there.

There is so little running in Gp2 that these drivers starts with huge advantage. I would rather scrap race 2 in gp2 and bring an FP2 session with only one race. I'm pretty sure that talents would surge from there.

Marciello and Arthur Pic showed good speed.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3454802)   #24
verde
Rookie

Brazil
verde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Know what? The fairest way to decide what series's got the better line-up for 2014 would be listing all the drivers that took part in at least 80% of the championship, rate each one (from 0 to 10) according to their prior achivements and also to their current form, sum all the rates and then divide by the number of drivers to get an average rate for the two series.

Of course there are no objective criteria when you have to rate a driver. One may believe that, for instance, Jolyon Palmer deserves a 8/10 whereas other may take account of his lack of better results prior to GP2 and rate him 4/10. However, this could at least pinpoint a trend.

I don't like the likes of Cecotto, Palmer and Leal in the series either. They tarnish it and prevent better drivers from occupying the first spots. However, GP2 isn't all about them. We can also pay attention on Nasr, Vandoorne, Marciello, Sorensen, Pic, Evans, even Quaife-Hobbs (appaling during qualifyings) and Abt (massively unlucky). Moreover the veterans can serve as benchmarks for the freshmen: if Vandoorne is able to deal with guys that know the car from the nose to the rear wing, hence he is at least someone to watch.

In 3.5 the top six drivers are almost as good as the best GP2 ones (Sainz not so much), but from there on I cannot see them being any better than, at best, a Haryanto.