Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 Nov 2003, 13:00 (Ref:779770)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matsuura IndyCar test / SAF Racing aiming at 2-car team

From AutoSport;

Quote:
Matsuura to make IRL test debut - Formula Renault V6 Eurocup front-runner to test for Aguri Fernandez team

Japanese driver Kousuke Matsuura will have his first run in an IRL IndyCar Series machine today (Tuesday), when he tests for Super Aguri Fernandez Racing at Phoenix International Raceway in Arizona.

The team, co-owned by Japanese former driver Aguri Suzuki and CART veteran Adrian Fernandez, ran Asian-American rookie Roger Yasukawa this season, achieving a best result of seventh at Kansas and California.

The team says that it will confirm its 2004 line-up in the near future, although Suzuki recently told AUTOSPORT that he wanted to expand to run two cars next season.

"I want to enter a two-car team," said Fernandez. "One will be a Japanese driver and one an experienced driver. It all depends on me finding some good sponsors."

Matsuura will run for two days at the one-mile oval. Running with backing from Suzuki, the 24 year old was a front-runner in the Formula Renault V6 Eurocup this year, winning three races.

After graduating through Japanese karting and the Suzuka Racing School Formula, Matsuura moved to Europe, competing in the German F3 championship in 2001. He finished second in the series in 2002, and also tested for the BAR F1 team last December.

Here's hoping both that Matsuura's test goes well and that the team can find enough sponsorship to indeed run two cars

Last edited by rustyfan; 11 Nov 2003 at 13:01.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 04:55 (Ref:780630)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
so is Yasukawa out ???

I hope not he did very well this year , if he is out at SAF then I hope he gets a ride somewhere else.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 07:53 (Ref:780713)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think (hope) Matsuura's test might be more of a preparation for that second team if they can put it together. Not to mention Matsuura should/could help attract Japanese companies to sponsor that second car.

Could be, also, that the test is something of a "reward" for Matsuura after doing so well in the Formula V6 Euro Series (which became a lot more similar to Formula 3000 with the introduction of the new cars at the beginning of 2003) this season.

As usual, time will tell
Old 14 Nov 2003, 10:42 (Ref:783016)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Matsuura passed the speed phase of his rookie test at Phoenix. I do hope that SUFR so run two cars, thier debut season was quite successful I think.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 00:22 (Ref:805267)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just read on indyracing.com that Matsuura will be testing again for SAFR, on the 5th again at Phoenix

Last edited by Down F0rce; 6 Dec 2003 at 00:23.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 17:43 (Ref:805636)   #6
B/Mark
Racer

B/Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matsuura comprehensively destroyed Yasakawa's car at Phoenix yesterday.
Hit the wall in turn 4 and ran all the way down to turn 1 entry before it stopped. Took a while to get out of the car but it appears he was unhurt apart from the usual bruising and a battered ego.
This all happened relatively early in the days testing, he was running quite quickly, just before he came off.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 17:50 (Ref:805639)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
really Fernandez is really managing his teams well, this Japanese connection for his IRL program will only help- I bet he will pul out sponsorship for a couple of cars, should make the season even better
Old 9 Dec 2003, 08:45 (Ref:807276)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that, if you are not Penske or ganassi, japanes support from engine manufacturers is essential to survive.