Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3730985)   #1
Taxi645
Racer

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre rules

Tyre rules and what can be improved

This thread is too brainstorm about the current dry tyre rules and what are their consequences and what can be approved.

The below list is not complete so feel free to add or correct.

1 The top ten starts on the tyre they putt in their fastest Q3 lap.

2 At least one pitstop is mandatory

3 In a dry race you have to at least use two different compounds

4 Pirelli dictates the compounds pre race.

5 Teams get a maximum number of tyres and have to select which a good deal before the weekend.

6?

1 One of the consequences of this rule is that the ten fastest cars almost always start on the softest compound. After that teams are free to choose and sometimes/often choose the 2nd softest compound. The result of this rule is that it makes the race more predictable at the front and furthermore the fastest car on average starts on faster compounds and thus the field will be pulled apart even faster so the race outcome is often already roughly visible at the 10 first laps.

Perhaps it would be better to let the teams just freely choose the compound to start on and just mandate Q3 cars to use their Q3 tyre somewhere in the race but not necessarily at the start. This makes the races less predictable, pulls the field less apart at the start and increases the chances of a faster car being a slower cars leading to more on track battles.

2 Would it be a good idea to let people try to finish the race without a pitstop. What would be the drawback of not making it manditory. Personally I reckon it could add tension to a race if you don't know if someone would try to surprise everyone to get to the finish without a pitstop. Again makes the race less predictable.

3 What does forcing to use at least two different compounds add to the race exitement? I'm not saying it doesn't, but I reckon it again leads to more predictable races. Current you know, people generally start on the softest available compound and then switch to one harder.

Other ideas?
Old 4 May 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3731065)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I loathe compulsory pitstops, as it dictates a race unfairly. Back in the day, underdogs got good results by running non stop. In my view that needs to go, as do the fact we're forced to use spec tyres. Bring back tyre competition
Old 4 May 2017, 22:03 (Ref:3731089)   #3
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1. Those that got through to Q3 start the race on the tyre they set their fastest Q2 time on. I think this was changed a year or two ago.
Old 5 May 2017, 03:10 (Ref:3731108)   #4
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mentioned elsewhere on 10-10th - use tyres with a bigger gap (2 steps between compounds at the race.) So it's hard and softs, not soft and softer. The teams that can run a longer race on harders can go for it but you have a super soft to make time if required.

(Think back to the 80's where a car behind due to an issue could pit for super quick tyres to bring them back into play. Not fool proof in the slightest but bettererish than now. Maybe.)
Old 7 May 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3731871)   #5
Taxi645
Racer

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I loathe compulsory pitstops, as it dictates a race unfairly. Back in the day, underdogs got good results by running non stop. In my view that needs to go,
Indeed, mostly doing one or more pitstops will be much faster, so in general people will pit (and I reckon they consider it adds to the show to have pitstops, which it does in my view). But you have the odd chance of someone trying to surprise everyone and go the full length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
as do the fact we're forced to use spec tyres. Bring back tyre competition
I can think of three drawbacks of tyre competition:

1 Top teams generally get preferred treatment, which I consider undesirable.
2 If one manufacturer is much more successful there is yet another reason why the field will be spread out.
3 It will cost more and costs need to be paid by someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
1. Those that got through to Q3 start the race on the tyre they set their fastest Q2 time on. I think this was changed a year or two ago.
You're right. So I then would make the rule: Those that got through to Q3 have to use in the race the tyre they set their fastest Q2 time on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Mentioned elsewhere on 10-10th - use tyres with a bigger gap (2 steps between compounds at the race.) So it's hard and softs, not soft and softer. The teams that can run a longer race on harders can go for it but you have a super soft to make time if required.

(Think back to the 80's where a car behind due to an issue could pit for super quick tyres to bring them back into play. Not fool proof in the slightest but bettererish than now. Maybe.)

It's difficult for me to imagine how having two quite different compounds would impact racing. Ross Brawn's proposed "test races" would be ideal to see how certain tyre regulations would work out.
Old 7 May 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3731872)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I ask in all seriousness, does Chase Cary follow Ten-Tenths?

We have seen 'Fan Surveys' that give people a chance to state a view, or opinions, however, I believe that here we have the more 'expert' enthusiasts (as opposed to TV 'Fans'), whose ideas are more relevant, and considered.

How can we ensure that our voices are heard where decisions are made?
Old 7 May 2017, 12:31 (Ref:3731913)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Radical suggestion ...

Chewing gum soft qually tyres

3 compounds of race tyre...

A... Gives performance for 1 stop strategy

B... Gives performance for 2 stop strategy

C... Gives performance for 3 stop strategy. (Selected tracks only)

Pirelli allocate A&B or B&C for event.

Teams given 2 sets of each for both FP 1 & 2 plus 2 sets of qually tyres for "Friday"

1 set of each plus 2 sets of qually tyres for FP 3.

Revised Qually format 3 sets.

Teams inform FIA/Pirelli confidentially of Choice of Race tyre.

FIA publish 1 hour before Race start.

New Race tyres 2/3/4 sets per type.

Overall might be more tyres but cuts out complaints about running different compound that aren't different enough. Also means no longer hearing race radio messages about looking after tyres in Qualifying because they are starting on them.
Old 8 May 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3732248)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
difficult to predict the unintended consequences of any proposed change.

but that said, i would like to see a change to parc ferme rules.

if the main problem is aero then allowing teams to make more race day changes to set ups so they can actually prepare for their race day starting spot which then gives more choice for race day tires usage and pit stops, take advantage of day to day changes in weather and track temps etc etc and that may in some fashion limit the aero issue.

no doubt the teams will use quali and race trims but i think the money/resource issue could be mitigated by restricting the new parc ferme rules only to the cars who didnt make it out of Q1 and Q2 (sort like what they did with tires).

but for Q2 and below, a greater variety of set ups (including wings that allow for better race day running) may just allow for closer racing within the mid field and on occasion may also allow some mid field runners to make a move towards the front.