Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3222419)   #16
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I too like someone, with the skills and the tools, to do that for me. However I appreciate the choice and the cleverness of the choice.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3222513)   #17
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
NPP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I can live with things as they are now, and I don't see the need for all the extras and gimmicks and buildup and punditry.

I thought I would hate delayed BBC coverage but it's ok and still much better than live RTL I get in Germany - ok it's live, but at least a quarter of the race is ads, and for the rest of it you have to endure the dire commentary team.

If F1 disappears off BBC altogether, I'll in all likelihood just cancel my TV licence and go off and sulk. I hardly watch anything except F1 on TV, and paying for a licence plus full Sky for 19 F1 races is just not on for me.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3236519)   #18
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was discussed in the Finance section of the Express earlier in the week that Bernie is now concerned by the drop in viewers in the UK. He claims to have discussed with Sky to offer free set top boxes that offer the F1 channel free. His logic is that this type of service would then tempt viewers to purchase additional packages. Sky declined to comment as I have no doubt they are not in the least bit interested in the idea. A more workable solution IMO would be to offer the channel free on freeview if the concerns are genuine.

I wonder why Bernie has made a U-turn on his previous comments? He made it very clear that viewing figures are not important to the sport and as long as viewers saw a fraction of each race it was good enough. This may be a reaction to the figures released for the first three races of this season. Sky's peak figures are down and the Chinese GP averaged 455k viewers (846k peak). It was the first race where the BBC also had live coverage so you'd expect a drop.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/cit...nie-Ecclestone
Old 19 Apr 2013, 08:52 (Ref:3236528)   #19
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky is a big rip off, and is certainly not an option for everyone. I still believe the BBC coverage has the right mix of banter and insight and for me its better than Sky.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3236556)   #20
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I wonder why Bernie has made a U-turn on his previous comments? He made it very clear that viewing figures are not important to the sport and as long as viewers saw a fraction of each race it was good enough.
When the Sky deal was announced, i mused that it was dangerous because if people got used to 'missing' their Sunday staple GP's then they would also get used to the idea that there are so many other things you can do with your time.

Ergo, they drift away forever.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3236566)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
well as you can get the races on line free why pay for Sky anyway
Old 19 Apr 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3236580)   #22
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
When the Sky deal was announced, i mused that it was dangerous because if people got used to 'missing' their Sunday staple GP's then they would also get used to the idea that there are so many other things you can do with your time.

Ergo, they drift away forever.
You make a very good point Peat. The more casual viewers with a glancing interest are less likely to get in to a routine if only half the races are live on a Sunday afternoon. I know a few people in that category. Sky can afford to have low figures because they make up for it in subscriptions where people will simply be watching one of their other channels instead. As you say though this is dangerous, especially for the long term popularity of the sport IMO. The BBC forced this deal due to mounting costs and hold most of the blame, but I am very surprised Bernie allowed this to happen. I know he is supporting a pay wall in many other countries in the world, but the UK has one of the largest audiences in comparison to it population.

I think maybe they underestimated just how many people would stop watching and perhaps thought it would drive more people to purchase Sky? I wonder what will happen when the current Sky contract runs out whether Bernie (if he's still in the job) will push for the rights to return to free to air or perhaps offer it at a lower cost to Sky in return for them offering it for free on freeview? Its clear both channels offer top class coverage, but its also important for people to be watching too. Its a shame we can't just have both channels available for all and people could choose which service they wished to view. I'm a bit of a fan of the BBC but it would be great to have the best of both.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3236809)   #23
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I was more than just a casual viewer before SKY... although admittedly my life has change a little since then too but I am really not bothered by missing the races on telly... I still follow the results after the fact but I assume once the current crop of top drivers leave the sport my interest will no longer be there at all.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3237887)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The difficulty is, what IS the next level?

Given that they are being provided a world feed of track action, there are only 22 regular drivers to Interview, 11 team principals and 1 face of Pirelli to speak with. It's difficult to be different from another Broadcaster who has the same access.

They have used their broadcast technology to have the various feeds available on your TV at the press of a button instead of having to have your laptop, desktop and TV arranged around one another to see the different feeds of information each of which was lagging behind the next.

Trying to do something different might take you back into the cooking dinner with Beverly Turner from the ITV days. <shudder>
Hi there.

More classic races instead of Steve Rider Meets.. again. There's only so many times you can hear Mansell bleat about how he used to drive his hopeless cars with a burnt bottom and a couple of 1.5kg Tesco Value packs of chips on his shoulders.

The onboard feed for me is not really up to much. I occasionally check it if it happens to be following a driver whose progress that race is interesting to watch, but the lack of choice renders it a mere novelty rather than a useful service. Being able to choose which car to watch - now that would be useful and fun (I'm aware this latter aspect is probably more FOM-led rather than Sky's choice).

I also find being able to get a Grand Prix repeat when I want doesn't come too easily. Sometimes they're replaying a previous Grand Prix rather than the most recent one. It's like the timing of being given the Malaysian round to watch now instead of Bahrain.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:26 (Ref:3237888)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!Born Racer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
Sky is a big rip off, and is certainly not an option for everyone. I still believe the BBC coverage has the right mix of banter and insight and for me its better than Sky.
The BBC coverage is fine apart from two major aspects:

• We do not see the Grands Prix in full.
• We do not see (half) the Grands Prix live.

[nitpick]If I were being picky, I'd combine Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle. DC is fine by the way, but his rising worried-sounding intonation is starting to become a bit noticeable for me during the broadcast[/nitpick]
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3237892)   #26
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
I really enjoy the Sky coverage.
I don't moan about presenters, coverage, and the weather etc because I don't like Sky.
Maybe those who dislike Sky can start a thread in the Parce Ferme section, titled, "I hate Sky TV and everything about Sky".
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3237896)   #27
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I don't see many people bringing their dislike of Ruper Murdoch and everything he stands for in here. People seem to be debating the Sky service.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3237899)   #28
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't see many people bringing their dislike of Ruper Murdoch and everything he stands for in here. People seem to be debating the Sky service.

True I suppose, not like another BBC v Sky thread of not so long ago. Give it time.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3237909)   #29
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
I really enjoy the Sky coverage.
I don't moan about presenters, coverage, and the weather etc because I don't like Sky.
Maybe those who dislike Sky can start a thread in the Parce Ferme section, titled, "I hate Sky TV and everything about Sky".
I haven't seen much of that sort of posting here either. Sky should be pleased that their service is being discussed so much across the internet amongst F1 fans. It means despite picking up less than a quarter of the overall audience in the UK through their live coverage, at least their brand is a hot topic. Lets face it, Sky don't care how many viewers are tuning in to one particular program as long as people are renewing their subscriptions.

I don't dislike the content Sky produce. Sure its nowhere near as good as the BBC produced during the 2011 season IMHO, but its not as bad as many suggest. My only gripe is its priced out of many F1 fans grasp. It would be nice to see it given a fair shot alongside the much more popular BBC, but the only way to do that would be to offer it as a free channel on freeview like certain other Sky channels are. Personally I would still watch the BBC when live and give Sky a try when they are exclusive. I tend to record and watch later as a rule as my weekends are generally busy. Its not all doom and gloom for Sky
Old 22 Apr 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3237988)   #30
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
True I suppose, not like another BBC v Sky thread of not so long ago. Give it time.
That's why the new thread.