Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Apr 2017, 03:49 (Ref:3729226)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Flappy Paddle For Safety? (MERGED)

Story Here

An interesting view on the use of a floor mounted sequential shifter in contrast to a steering wheel mounted flappy paddle...

You can see the safety aspect... if teams were to take out much of the central tunnel protrusions (requiring relocation of electrics, roll bars, drinks systems and other stuff..) would that mean Larko's original idea of effectively putting a tub inside a sedan car may be closer than we think?

You can see the safety merits here too quite easily...

And the cost reduction on engines and transmissions as the automated electronic shift is kinder on upchange and downchange (with throttle blipper?) with precise micro cuts to acceleration than a pilot flat shifting and banging through the gears up or down without a clutch... who might be taking some other aspect of sub optimal car performance out on the poor old box...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Apr 2017, 04:04 (Ref:3729227)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cost?
Old 26 Apr 2017, 05:01 (Ref:3729231)   #3
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure it'll reduce stress on the mechanicals but it'll also be somewhat expensive to develop and test so short term wise at least I don't see cost saving as an overly large drawcard for the idea.

Safety wise, eh sure, but the main issue with it was the legs and with the new leg protection that issue disappears.

The purists won't be happy but then again we lost H pattern shifting a long time ago so it hasn't been "pure" in their eyes for a long time now. We'd lose some of the fun quirks with rev matching on the downshift and so forth but tbh does that add anything to the racing? It certainly won't make a difference to those watching from home.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 06:19 (Ref:3729236)   #4
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Toddler. One step closer to racing on the simulator.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3729242)   #5
drftin
Rookie

drftin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
probably just the way 888 are trying to sell it, really they just want to sell more parts
Old 26 Apr 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3729243)   #6
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And the cost reduction on engines and transmissions as the automated electronic shift is kinder on upchange and downchange (with throttle blipper?) with precise micro cuts to acceleration than a pilot flat shifting and banging through the gears up or down without a clutch... who might be taking some other aspect of sub optimal car performance out on the poor old box...
I thought automatic 'shift cuts' were incorporated the existing system?
Old 26 Apr 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3729253)   #7
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's a great idea.

If it were up to the purists, we'd still be wobbling around on cross-ply tyres, and measuring lap times on a wrist watch.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3729254)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
I thought automatic 'shift cuts' were incorporated the existing system?
It does, but no auto-blip.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3729259)   #9
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftin View Post
probably just the way 888 are trying to sell it, really they just want to sell more parts
No doubt the smart boffins at 888 will develop one that is cheaper than others on the market to sell to all teams. Like their on cockpit protection system, cause the DJRTP one won't suit their cockpit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 26 Apr 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3729261)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

From my basic fact-finding, the DJRTP floor insert interferes with the mega-dollar dry-carbon dash that all Holden teams use. From memory, that has a Triple Eight part number, too.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 03:06 (Ref:3729400)   #11
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They go down this path, i'm done...

Another stupid knee jerk reaction to a freak accident. How many shunts have we've had in this category over the years and how many drivers have ended up with injuries hitting there legs against the shifter?? Name me one other than Chaz and i'll support a change.

If not, bloody leave it alone!!!! They've messed enough as it recently!!
Old 27 Apr 2017, 03:12 (Ref:3729402)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
They go down this path, i'm done...

Another stupid knee jerk reaction to a freak accident. How many shunts have we've had in this category over the years and how many drivers have ended up with injuries hitting there legs against the shifter?? Name me one other than Chaz and i'll support a change.

If not, bloody leave it alone!!!! They've messed enough as it recently!!
Rick Kelly in tasmania, James courtney at PI a few years back

I dont really think 18 months is knee jerk reaction (19 PSI was on the weekend)
Old 27 Apr 2017, 03:22 (Ref:3729404)   #13
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you think about it, paddles will take only slightly less skill to operate, but will have all the benefits listed above. As long as cost isn't prohibitive, I can't see any reason not to adopt it.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 03:25 (Ref:3729405)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
If you think about it, paddles will take only slightly less skill to operate, but will have all the benefits listed above. As long as cost isn't prohibitive, I can't see any reason not to adopt it.
agreed, once we moved to sequential boxes then it no longer mattered what they did from a gearbox point of view

Manual gearboxes are a relic of a bygone era unfortunately (my daily is a manual, but the auto equivalent is slightly quicker 0-100)
Old 27 Apr 2017, 04:38 (Ref:3729414)   #15
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
From my basic fact-finding, the DJRTP floor insert interferes with the mega-dollar dry-carbon dash that all Holden teams use. From memory, that has a Triple Eight part number, too.
Part no. V8SC-11-300 (VF Dash) on the Vehicle Specification Document Holden Commodore VF does not list a supplier, unlike other components.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3729415)   #16
Umai Naa
Veteran

Supercars should be at the forefront of motorsport technology in this country.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3729438)   #17
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Supercars should be at the forefront of motorsport technology in this country.
Doesn't that go against everything the category has been about since 1993?
Old 27 Apr 2017, 09:22 (Ref:3729442)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

No...?
Old 27 Apr 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3729445)   #19
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When has V8s/V8Supercars/Supercars ever been about being at the forefront of technology in this country?
Old 27 Apr 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3729447)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran

I just said they should be.

I never said they are, or aspire to be.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 09:56 (Ref:3729449)   #21
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The kicker is that Albins will cover the boxes to 10k with the change which is the main reason there's interest.

It's actually not that complicated to develop, motec have run a pneumatic system on many cars and developed it for the FT5000 and the current ECU supports it. You don't need a use fly by wire either, you can perform a mechanical blip but fbw would make it easier and with mumblings of fbw for awhile now most engine suppliers probably have a setup ready to go or can do so pretty easily (and it is easy to modify to use it).

It was inevitable for t8 to bring it up given their sandman has had a working system for awhile.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3729451)   #22
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Rick Kelly in tasmania, James courtney at PI a few years back

I dont really think 18 months is knee jerk reaction (19 PSI was on the weekend)
Courtney's injury was right leg care of Premat's boot going through the side door and breaking the roll cage, not the left leg vs the Gearshifter.

However, i agree with the proposal...
Old 27 Apr 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3729452)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Courtney's injury was right leg care of Premat's boot going through the side door and breaking the roll cage, not the left leg vs the Gearshifter.

However, i agree with the proposal...
But the flappy paddles means we can move the driver more central thus protecting the right leg as well (but ok wasn't a shifter)
Old 27 Apr 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3729566)   #24
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On step closer to GT3.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 02:55 (Ref:3729577)   #25
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
On step closer to GT3.
Don't you mean one foot in grave...?????