Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3729642)   #31
peckstar
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Cayman Islands
Posts: 14,845
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
The question for me is, how many v8 supercar fans are fans solely for the current formula and would completely stop watching aussie Motorsport in the event that it did become a "gt3" formula.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It wont become a Gt3 formula, before that mainstream motorsport will be dead.
peckstar is offline  
__________________
Scott and Chaz 1-2 in 2017

well that's my hope
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3729643)   #32
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,219
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
before that mainstream motorsport will be dead.
Has motorsport outside a 1000km race at Bathurst ever been mainstream?
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3729646)   #33
PS2244
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 797
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Supercars potentially reestablishing itself as a GT3 format will necessarily equate to the demise of mainstream Motorsport peckstar, the Bathurst 12 hour drew some pretty good ratings and I think if they want to consider longevity of the series they should definatly consider it as a possibility as the gen Y casual Motorsport fans seem to display more interest in exotic cars, but that's only my opinion and experience, there is still a large diehard group of young supporters in Supercars but regardless I'll still watch it no matter what happens to the cars. I don't think in my own opinion that paddle shift is any where near close to entering the category currently it's only being touted as a possibility but I don't see it materialising

Last edited by PS2244; 28 Apr 2017 at 12:50.
PS2244 is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3729672)   #34
peckstar
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Cayman Islands
Posts: 14,845
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Has motorsport outside a 1000km race at Bathurst ever been mainstream?
Yes 90000 people at clipsal on sunday is even bigger than Bathurst

Last edited by peckstar; 28 Apr 2017 at 14:48.
peckstar is offline  
__________________
Scott and Chaz 1-2 in 2017

well that's my hope
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3729674)   #35
peckstar
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Cayman Islands
Posts: 14,845
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
I don't think Supercars potentially reestablishing itself as a GT3 format will necessarily equate to the demise of mainstream Motorsport peckstar, the Bathurst 12 hour drew some pretty good ratings and I think if they want to consider longevity of the series they should definatly consider it as a possibility as the gen Y casual Motorsport fans seem to display more interest in exotic cars, but that's only my opinion and experience, there is still a large diehard group of young supporters in Supercars but regardless I'll still watch it no matter what happens to the cars. I don't think in my own opinion that paddle shift is any where near close to entering the category currently it's only being touted as a possibility but I don't see it materialising
Did it? The evidence doesnt really support that About a fifth of the 1000. And the rest of the series, because thats the important part, the rest of the series, the week to week races.
peckstar is offline  
__________________
Scott and Chaz 1-2 in 2017

well that's my hope
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3729695)   #36
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 783
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
The question for me is, how many v8 supercar fans are fans solely for the current formula and would completely stop watching aussie Motorsport in the event that it did become a "gt3" formula.
GT3 vehicles are hardly suitable for the bump and rub of touring car racing. The slightest touch and carbon fibre dive-planes and diffusers go flying everywhere.

BTCC would be a far better model. Particularly the RWD-spec BTCC just with bigger engines, which is what we already have more or less (just that we don't attach the double-wishbone racing suspension subframes to the road car chassis).
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3729699)   #37
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
United States
Connecticut
Posts: 7,035
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'm okay with this from a safety standpoint.

I would lose interest fast if the series became just another national GT3 series.
Matt is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3729729)   #38
Langers
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location:
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 512
Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vehemently against this. With DBW throttle we're one step closer to traction control.

Let the drivers continue the heel-toe. There's skill required for that, and zero skill required to flick a paddle.
Langers is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3729732)   #39
Trevor
Veteran
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Australia
Goulburn Valley Victoria
Posts: 1,265
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
further and further away from 'real' cars, less and less relevant they become
Trevor is online now  
__________________
I reserve the right to arm bears
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3729755)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club
 
GTRMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Australia
Sell me this pen....
Posts: 42,279
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
further and further away from 'real' cars, less and less relevant they become
The VW Golf R32 I bought in 2008 had flappy paddle.... is was a real car... and that is 9 years ago..
GTRMagic is offline  
__________________
C.D. Bales (Roxanne): "Are we having fun yet?"
Harvey Specter: Anyone can do my job, but no one can be me.
Anyone can be a lost Picasso....
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3729765)   #41
PS2244
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 797
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Did it? The evidence doesnt really support that About a fifth of the 1000. And the rest of the series, because thats the important part, the rest of the series, the week to week races.
I know what you mean and agree with you pecky, but to be fair it's only a new concept and still in its infancy in Australia all I'm saying is is that there is an interest in the GT3 formula in Australia I'm not trying to state it's on par with the 1000 yet. Imo Supercars should look into a TCR or SuperGT formula if Gen2 hypothetically fails to meet its objectives
PS2244 is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3729766)   #42
PS2244
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 797
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
further and further away from 'real' cars, less and less relevant they become
New commodore has a paddleshift option, new mustang does as well not really Trevor
PS2244 is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 23:48 (Ref:3729773)   #43
Ospi
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 406
Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Vehemently against this. With DBW throttle we're one step closer to traction control.

Let the drivers continue the heel-toe. There's skill required for that, and zero skill required to flick a paddle.
To be fair, utilising TC with a cable throttle system is just as easily done with yaw and wheel speed sensors so I don't think fbw would mean much in that regard. Besides, you can utilise paddle shifting without fbw, though teams will inevitably change to fbw for other reasons.
Ospi is offline  
Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3729793)   #44
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,786
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn-of-the-century (16.5 years ago!) Commodores had a conventional throttle body with traction control. And that technology was already out of date, considering many other manufacturers had been there, done that, and moved on to DBW.

It's got me beat, why we have such an aversion to progression in this country.
Umai Naa is online now  
Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 01:43 (Ref:3729796)   #45
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,786
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The VW Golf R32 I bought in 2008 had flappy paddle.... is was a real car... and that is 9 years ago..
Direct injection, DBW, whizz-bang Haldex all-wheel-drive system, self-shifting manual gearbox aka DSG, V6 with ONE cylinder head! If you ticked the right boxes on the options sheet, you could also get integrated nav, and Bluetooth too.

It was the sort of car that blew peoples' minds way back when, and now most of that tech is the norm on most new cars these days.
Umai Naa is online now  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FIA GT] Paddle /button shift zipperkarting Sportscar & GT Racing 2 12 Oct 2015 16:57
Who will win the Paddle up the Creek? (Merged x2) TSR Australasian Touring Cars. 225 15 Jun 2007 05:02
Electro pneumatic paddle shift system paddle Racing Technology 6 30 Oct 2004 17:03
F1 Paddle Shifters, Come To Indy Cars GP Racer IRL Indycar Series 15 21 Feb 2004 19:41


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 00:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.