Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jul 2012, 20:47 (Ref:3113954)   #26
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had to pull my entry this morning, still not got to the bottom of the mis-fire the Alfa developed during Brands Hatch Superprix. Gutted!

First non start in 3 full yrs of racing with the HSCC.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3113962)   #27
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know how your feeling
Old 30 Jul 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3114017)   #28
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Looking forward to catching up with some 10-Tenthers at this one and the entry looks to be good again.

I was at Croft a couple of weeks ago and the grassed areas had been drying out / firming up quite nicely after the 'summer rains'. Since then it's been quite decent weather locally so the ground conditions for parking / camping should be okay albeit some showers in the coming few days.

Local forecast for the weekend has improved in the last couple of days - bit of light rain possible on Friday evening and light showers at times on Sat & Sun but also reasonable temperatures (low 20's) and a fair bit of sun. So in short, if it stays like that it should be a lot better than last year. Just realized - I'm turning into a weather forecaster!

Latest news re the weekend's events - http://www.croftcircuit.co.uk/croft/news/nostalgia.html

and - http://www.croftmilitary.co.uk/
So Gary, "light rain". Is that the sort of light rain we saw last year or are there varieties of "light rain" in the local dialect?

I ask since last year the locals seemed to know exactly how to deal with things and estimated the drainage time required to the minute. Such precision makes me suspicious ...
Old 31 Jul 2012, 07:18 (Ref:3114073)   #29
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grant, the locals have obviously been well trained by (sadly now deceased) local forecaster Bill Foggitt who tended to rely on noting such things as the unseasonal flowering of coltsfoot (to predict patterns of rain and sunshine), the erratic behaviour of sheep and moles or that the seaweed at Robin Hood's Bay, on the North Yorkshire coast, went slimy before rain. Amazing what training the local race officials have to go through!
Gary

P.s. I won't be travelling to Robin Hood's Bay before the weekend so can't check the seaweed.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3114230)   #30
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Robyn, how you getting on? When will we see the Anglia back on track?

Any news from Brian?
Old 31 Jul 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3114253)   #31
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Grant, the locals have obviously been well trained by (sadly now deceased) local forecaster Bill Foggitt who tended to rely on noting such things as the unseasonal flowering of coltsfoot (to predict patterns of rain and sunshine), the erratic behaviour of sheep and moles or that the seaweed at Robin Hood's Bay, on the North Yorkshire coast, went slimy before rain. Amazing what training the local race officials have to go through!
Gary

P.s. I won't be travelling to Robin Hood's Bay before the weekend so can't check the seaweed.
Excellent name for a weather forecaster!
Old 31 Jul 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3114332)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just been watching the Porsches and Scottish Minis at Croft on ITV4. It's taught me all I need to know.......
Old 31 Jul 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3114443)   #33
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anyone testing/practicing on Friday? I'll be driving close by the circuit and wouldn't mind stopping off for a break.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 05:19 (Ref:3114528)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
Is there anyone testing/practicing on Friday? I'll be driving close by the circuit and wouldn't mind stopping off for a break.
Yes, there is testing friday- I'll be out in the afternoon learning my way around!

Old 1 Aug 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3114817)   #35
percy
Racer

Thanks - I'll try and drop by in the afternoon
Old 2 Aug 2012, 12:43 (Ref:3115235)   #36
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just flown in to England. British Airways Bordeaux to Gatwick. Brilliant service. Will drive Avis's best to Croft tomorrow. Mike and Iain, the table is booked. Lap dancers booked..........

Last edited by compte deGraves; 2 Aug 2012 at 12:44. Reason: typo.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3115249)   #37
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was planning to take the car up on Saturday morning but Compte's post has made me change my mind. Where's the table booked?
Old 2 Aug 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3115250)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well I'm here, and beaten the electric supply so have to run the fridge on gas for a while. Can't have warm beer! Presume there is a circuit, as have been placed in the distance somewhere. Going to be very peaceful, though...
Old 2 Aug 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3115272)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Look out for the sheep, or is that Angelsey?
Old 2 Aug 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3115291)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Look out for the sheep, or is that Angelsey?
No, no- there's sheep. Right beside the grass runway behind me.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3115298)   #41
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
We are told in France that if a Yorkshireman is standing in a field of sheep he is never far away from his mother-in-law......
Old 2 Aug 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3115300)   #42
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Ah, you're next to the runway? Hmm.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3115329)   #43
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mike, I hope someone's told you that you'll have to move just before the 3am flight lands! Hope testing goes well tomorrow - I was hoping to pop in but now helping my son to move house so I might not get there. Will be there Sat & Sun though (time-keeping for the weekend) so will endeavour to say hello at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
We are told in France that if a Yorkshireman is standing in a field of sheep he is never far away from his mother-in-law......
Sheep for a mother-in-law? I should be so lucky!
Old 2 Aug 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3115408)   #44
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be up there late Friday, hopefully in time for scrutineering - racing my Green Elan in the Historic Raodsports. I don't think I've met more than two tenthers in the flesh so if you're around Mike, come and say hello in the paddock - we'll have two Elans from the Witchampton Garage team up there #1 and #6.

Paul
Old 2 Aug 2012, 22:41 (Ref:3115431)   #45
tgm999
Rookie

tgm999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Lap dancers
I want!!
Old 3 Aug 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3115443)   #46
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm999 View Post
I want!!
No, no. Compte is French you see and sometimes makes small mistakes that do not get corrected.

What he meant to write was Lapp dancers - an entirely different prospect, or so I have been given to understand.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 05:36 (Ref:3115476)   #47
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvalveelan View Post
I'll be up there late Friday, hopefully in time for scrutineering - racing my Green Elan in the Historic Raodsports. I don't think I've met more than two tenthers in the flesh so if you're around Mike, come and say hello in the paddock - we'll have two Elans from the Witchampton Garage team up there #1 and #6.

Paul
Paul, I'm sure we have met in a scrutineering queue somewhere, and probably will again later....

No night flights came in guys- probably due to the fog, so quiet night, apart from the gentle thrum of a generator close by. Sure one of the tappet clearances is a couple of thou out.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3115493)   #48
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Mike,

by this time it will be daylight and all beginning to happen, so you will know that you parked on the right side of the runway fence.
Last time i raced there a certain well known driver,(don,t press me who it is), thought, albeit in the half light of a late Friday night, that the grass looked very flat and nice and would set up his tent, etc, there.

He got away with it for a few hours until the alarm bells rang in certain quarters. Luckily that night nothing was coming in to land !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I,m sure you and any other Croft first timers will love the circuit, staff and marshals. It is my favorite track, except for the hairpin !!

Have a good one.

GT.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3115513)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Cheers Graham, it is a beautiful morning and hopefully will remain sunny and dry....

Definitely parked on tarmac. Still no planes come in- very disappointed!

Old 3 Aug 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3115764)   #50
percy
Racer

I managed an hour or so at today's testing before my dad's legs gave up completely.
I managed to snap this chap a few times...

Nice technique at the hairpin...this time
Not so classy on the next lap, although unfortunately my camera was pointing at another car... so I never caught the 'moment'