Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Apr 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2433197)   #1
pieterbakker
Racer

European Union
Zandvoort (NL)
pieterbakker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double headers vs triple headers

Double headers vs triple headers

Where the economic turmoil started in the USA, British economy was second to be affected, already one year ahead of Europe mainland.

Looking around at the start of the new racing season 2009, it is obvious that economic developments now seriously affect hobby racing too.

I am sure the bigger series won’t notice too much, as these racers are not in the habit of using their last penny to cover their racing budget. The worst that might happen is that these people will enquire after the possibilities to race in cheaper series.

The racer that used to race on a shoestring budget has probably already fallen off last year and those that are left will seriously reconsider their position. Probably not signing on for any championship, but cherry picking cheaper alternatives.

As a result, we should reconsider our position as well. Although FISC EuroTour was the first series and already since 2002, to consistently offer triple headers and two hours of circuit time at €675 for the weekend, it could make sense to offer double headers and less track time instead. Perhaps leave the choice of upgrading to a triple header to the racer himself?

I am very interested to get some reactions on this subject.

Enjoy your racing,

Old 4 Apr 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2433483)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
5 years ago a 1 hour race and 30 minute practice was circa £300-350 . . . now it is double or more, 870 euros I've been quoted for a single race this season.

I am surprised that certain series see fit to charge such extortionate fees for race entries and even more astounded that seemingly intelligent people tolerate it and cough up. . . . even at an over inflation 5% annual rise entries for similar in 2009 would be circa £450.

can you blame those of us wirth a restricted budget for shopping around and picking what appears to be the best value ?

the exchange rate obviously has a major effect on a majority of us, and if things are tight a whole series is always going to be a difficult commitment.

from your point of view Pieter, loyalty should be rewarded surely, and a double header is still an attractive proposition to my mind
Old 5 Apr 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2434005)   #3
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the way things are financially at the moment, either double headers or longer single races (40 - 60 mins like CSCC do) offer the chance for people to share cars and therefore costs and still get out there. Triple headers can make it difficult to share a car.
Personally I also look to see who lets me run my car with the minimum of changes. I run on Yoko's and dont fancy buying a set of Dunlops or Avons just for one event. But thats just me.