Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Jan 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2100774)   #126
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Would the larger restrictors not mean the extra power is released without having to rev higher?
Yes and NO. The engine is designed then tuned for the restrictor size.

Smaller restrictors ( Larger hole) will allow more air to pass though in to the Throttle bodies. Large Restrictors ( Smaller hole) will limit the air flow, however the speed of the air flow velocity into the throttle bodies is greatly increased.

So the options are:
move volume of air at slow velocity = pushing the HP UP THE RMP range
or
less air at high velocity = pushing the torque levels up in the lower rpm range.

Little over simplifed but that is the idea.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2100794)   #127
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, even though I will probably be sanctioned for it;

Lets revisit the question that was asked.

Quote:
Truckosaurus; Would the larger restrictors not mean the extra power is released without having to rev higher?
I still contend that the engine (production type homologated) was not designed for maximum volumetric efficiency at the operating rpm range with the particular restrictor being applied by the ACO in mind. And that if it is allowed a larger restrictor it will produce more power without changing the rpm operating range with any significance. Point of example is the larger restrictor allowed with a/c and the h.p increase gained by it! Granted there comes a time when there is an over-saturation of combustables and to utilize them an increase in rpm or chamber pressure is the only way to do so, but IMO this does not fit into that category.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 6 Jan 2008 at 19:14.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2101137)   #128
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Well, even though I will probably be sanctioned for it;

Lets revisit the question that was asked.

I still contend that the engine (production type homologated) was not designed for maximum volumetric efficiency at the operating rpm range with the particular restrictor being applied by the ACO in mind. And that if it is allowed a larger restrictor it will produce more power without changing the rpm operating range with any significance. Point of example is the larger restrictor allowed with a/c and the h.p increase gained by it! Granted there comes a time when there is an over-saturation of combustables and to utilize them an increase in rpm or chamber pressure is the only way to do so, but IMO this does not fit into that category.

L.P.
Maybe you just didn't read my post fully:

All other things about the engine remaining equal, the engine will have to rev 22% faster to generate 695 bhp than it was spinning to generate 570 bhp.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2101141)   #129
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Maybe you just didn't read my post fully:

All other things about the engine remaining equal, the engine will have to rev 22% faster to generate 695 bhp than it was spinning to generate 570 bhp.
HP is not Linear at those levels and "All things can not be equal at those RPM levels"
to go from 570 to 695, the engine would need to be reconfigures with different intake, cam shaft(s) plus the engine management tuning would also need to be different not just increase RPMs
Old 7 Jan 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2101159)   #130
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
HP is not Linear at those levels and "All things can not be equal at those RPM levels"
to go from 570 to 695, the engine would need to be reconfigures with different intake, cam shaft(s) plus the engine management tuning would also need to be different not just increase RPMs
It is pretty linear - except for friction of course.

However, I think I will leave you lot to nit-pick, hair split and generally bicker amongst yourselves......
Old 7 Jan 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2101180)   #131
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

However, I think I will leave you lot to nit-pick, hair split and generally bicker amongst yourselves......
well said........we have a ball park power figure from my calculated estimation, and the engine will spin faster due to the increased restricrtor area, yes the GT1 engine will need a heavy re-work for LMP1 spec.......now please, lets just leave it at that

anyways, just read about the GT2 AM project on DSC......they are mentioning a Prodrive launch or something like that at the Autosport show.....perhaps all our chat about LMP1 AM's is a waste of time?
Old 7 Jan 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2101260)   #132
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. Not at all.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2101310)   #133
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
fish88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
well said........we have a ball park power figure from my calculated estimation, and the engine will spin faster due to the increased restricrtor area, yes the GT1 engine will need a heavy re-work for LMP1 spec.......now please, lets just leave it at that

anyways, just read about the GT2 AM project on DSC......they are mentioning a Prodrive launch or something like that at the Autosport show.....perhaps all our chat about LMP1 AM's is a waste of time?
I thought Barwell will drive with these cars not Prodrive itself.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2101395)   #134
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddsc
No. Not at all.
sounds like you know more than your letting on ......you can trust us, we wont tell anyone......honest
Old 7 Jan 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2101402)   #135
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
It is pretty linear - except for friction of course.

Fine you belive what you want. at those higher RPM levels, 6000 plus HP incease is not linear. from 2000 to 5250 rpms yes it is linear

Unless you care to post a good AM V12 dyno graph (SAE corrected) that shows differnly?
Old 7 Jan 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2101422)   #136
class4v
Racer

class4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do yo remember Lola saying that there was some interest by a manufacturer for their P1 Coupé... I do.
With Corvette's LMP1-a- like thing in testing (all kind of rumours), some other major manufacturers talking with the ACO, and the altered engine rule in ACO's rule book... what a fantastic time it will be for sportscars
Old 7 Jan 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2101481)   #137
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Fine you belive what you want. at those higher RPM levels, 6000 plus HP incease is not linear. from 2000 to 5250 rpms yes it is linear

Unless you care to post a good AM V12 dyno graph (SAE corrected) that shows differnly?
God help me to know the things I can change, accept the things that I can't and to know the difference..............................
Old 7 Jan 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2101482)   #138
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is an AM endurance racing announcement on thurs at the show. See you there Malc
Old 7 Jan 2008, 23:12 (Ref:2101520)   #139
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
God help me to know the things I can change, accept the things that I can't and to know the difference..............................

Small minds keep things to themselves . .

So What ever. Next
Old 7 Jan 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2101524)   #140
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ehem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Mod note: Trying to score points over each other!

To the mods this certainly seems to be the evident with a few members of this sub-forum. Frankly people notice this style of posting and judge the poster accordingly. However of concern to the mods is that it stops others posting because they can't be bothered to get into an exchange over something petty, or just because they find it tedious in the extreme.

There is no need to pick up on small points to prove you are right. There is also no shame in being wrong about something - you should try it as it is very liberating.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but please have a think about whether it applies to you. If you don't see it and continue we will start telling you, as we feel it is driving many with a love for this sport away from our forum.

P.S. There is no need to reply to this, PM if you have any concerns.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2101530)   #141
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes shall we move on...

Who is going to run the Astons in GT1,2,3,4 then?
Old 7 Jan 2008, 23:41 (Ref:2101535)   #142
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JetAlliance, Modena, and Gigawave should remain in GT1. Phoenix maybe?

Barwell for GT2.

Barwell as well in GT3, not sure if Scuderia Italia will remain.

JetAlliance I know bought up some GT4s.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 01:31 (Ref:2101572)   #143
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's still up in the air whether Aston are involved with Lola, but there is no doubt Lola have something major to announce.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 07:14 (Ref:2101645)   #144
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
There is an AM endurance racing announcement on thurs at the show. See you there Malc
OT
ss, if you get a chance come and say Hi, Im gonna be on the BMMC stand all weekend!
Old 8 Jan 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2101701)   #145
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
It's still up in the air whether Aston are involved with Lola, but there is no doubt Lola have something major to announce.
STOP SPECULATING!!!!

How many times has that been repeated in this thread?!

So Lola might be involved with Aston. Or anyone else with a V12!

Are we now certain Barwell are running the GT2s? I've had my wrists slapped more than once for assuming!
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2101783)   #146
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you guys are wrong, it´s not a V12, but a V8!!!!

altough i dont think it will beat an Audi R10....

http://www.astonmartins.com/racing/lolaam.htm

(sorry if it has been posted before, but everything was getting too serious)
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2101785)   #147
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
STOP SPECULATING!!!!

How many times has that been repeated in this thread?!

So Lola might be involved with Aston. Or anyone else with a V12!

Are we now certain Barwell are running the GT2s? I've had my wrists slapped more than once for assuming!
They have said as much as that themselves I believe.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2101804)   #148
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't wait for thursday looks exciting news !!!
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:49 (Ref:2101810)   #149
tramker
Rookie

tramker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola B08/60 Coupe Aston Martin V12

Just saw this car-engine combination mentioned on some news website (don't ask for details, nothing official, no additional info), in some obscure context, but couldn't be accidental. I'm 99% convinced it's going to be announced at the Autosport show.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 14:02 (Ref:2101866)   #150
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Czech's seem to think there's more than a little truth in the rumour..........

........check out the lists of which cars are participating in which series towards the bottom of the page.

Then again, I don't speak Czech so didn't understand a word of what was said in the article.