Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2700790)   #1
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Formula 1 introduce all-weather tyres?

Last week I read this article on Autosport.com. In this article Tony Fernandes had this to say:
"I also try to encourage people that F1 should become closer to the car industry. It is important that we are a good provider of knowledge to the road car industry.

"That is why I am a supporter of 18 inch rims because it makes the tyres more relevant to the car industry. I am a supporter of KERS, although I think we have to do it in the right form and not spend 10 million bucks on something that is not going to be commercially used.
"

I do think Formula 1 should become more road relevant. In my opinion, not the amount of money spend by the teams is a big issue, but where the money is spend on. To justify its existence, Formula 1 should contribute to the development of road car technologies. An example is the development of clean, fuel-efficient and hence eco-friendly engines.

Regarding the tyres Formula 1 could make a contribution to the development of road car technologies too. This could be done by introducing non-standardized, durable all-weather tyres. The FIA could demand that the tyres are to be designed for both dry and wet track conditions and have a specified minimum of the tyre surface to be grooved with a specified minimum depth both before and after use. To make the tyres durable and easily enforce the rules, tyre changes should be outlawed. The regulations should make tyre manufactures to develop tyres which are essentially road legal.

There are a number of arguments for and against introducing all-weather tyres. The arguments in favour are:
- the tyres would become more road relevant;
- cost efficiency, because tyre manufactures can develop tyres covering all weather conditions;
- safety, because cornering speeds are lowered;
- pit stops will be no longer necessary.

The arguments against:
- As the mechanical grip is reduced massively, cars would rely even more on downforce and overtaking would become too difficult. This could be fixed by reducing the amount of downforce too. In fact, Formula 1's aerodynamics have no road relevance and hence it could questioned whether the amount of downforce should be reduced to the absolute minimum, just enough to keep the cars from coming off the ground.
- Formula 1 could become very slow. Whether a car is fast or not, is a perception. Compared to today's Formula 1 cars sports cars like the Ferrari 430, Audi R8 and Bugatti Veyron are quite slow, but those cars are incredibly fast compared to my road car. Besides, a lowering of the cornering speeds would allow Formula 1 to go to faster tracks.

Whether all-weather tyres should be introduced or not, is a political decision. But with Formula 1 seeking for a justification for its existence, it should at least be taken in consideration.
Old 30 May 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2701181)   #2
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
All-weather tires = crap in everything.
Old 30 May 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2701184)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Well I believe it's the way that Michelin want to go!
Old 30 May 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2701242)   #4
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well I believe it's the way that Michelin want to go!
Really? If they actually want that for 2011, time to say hello to Pirelli.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect a Formula One tyre to do 90% of a dry race on treaded tyres, and then be safe in a heavy deluge. For safety reasons, amongst many others, I think that all weather tyres are a complete non-starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
To justify its existence, Formula 1 should contribute to the development of road car technologies. An example is the development of clean, fuel-efficient and hence eco-friendly engines.
The only people F1 needs to justify its existence to is the teams. While road relevant development is reasonable, motor racing is a sport first, and technology development comes second.
Old 30 May 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2701424)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With the forces the cars can exert on the tires, all weather tires would be ripped to shreds within a few laps, never mind a full race distance. Just look at how quick everyone drives through the puddles when they have the full wets on in drying conditions. Even the inters lose their grooves within a few dry laps so developing an all weather tire would either leave the teams changing every 10 laps or less or we'd watch the drives nurse cars around the track at speeds slower than GP2 cars wince they'd have almost no grip from tires built to last.
Old 31 May 2010, 02:23 (Ref:2701503)   #6
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the idea here is that the cars would have to be developed to work with the all weather tyres. So if your car worked them too hard then you would be at a disadvantage to a car that worked them much easier.
Old 31 May 2010, 07:07 (Ref:2701600)   #7
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
I think the idea here is that the cars would have to be developed to work with the all weather tyres. So if your car worked them too hard then you would be at a disadvantage to a car that worked them much easier.
You also have to consider that all weather tyres would be just that and as such would be very different to the current wet weather tyres, it's hardly surprising they don't work in the dry as they are not designed to.

Not that I think it's a good idea though.
Old 31 May 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2701620)   #8
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
With the forces the cars can exert on the tires, all weather tires would be ripped to shreds within a few laps, never mind a full race distance. Just look at how quick everyone drives through the puddles when they have the full wets on in drying conditions. Even the inters lose their grooves within a few dry laps so developing an all weather tire would either leave the teams changing every 10 laps or less or we'd watch the drives nurse cars around the track at speeds slower than GP2 cars wince they'd have almost no grip from tires built to last.
On a dry track the intermediates are worn out within a couple of laps, simply because those tyres are too soft and not designed for all-weather conditions. In other words, a comparison is impossible.

It should be mentioned that before the introduction of slicks, Formula 1 was used to all-weather tyres.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2701674)   #9
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No no, tyres designed to go racing, please.
Old 31 May 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2701722)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

It should be mentioned that before the introduction of slicks, Formula 1 was used to all-weather tyres.
Indeed. Creating slick tyres was just a way of increasing dry grip.
Old 31 May 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2702110)   #11
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Indeed. Creating slick tyres was just a way of increasing dry grip.
no way would i like to see this It would take away the drama of a sudden rain shower and cars deciding if and when to pit

Also the fact conditions have to be judged perfectly by the team any driver when selecting the correct tyre choice
Old 31 May 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2702111)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am not interested in this concept, with all due respect to the thread starter..
Old 31 May 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2702112)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Good. We don't want good tyres in the appropriate conditions. We want something with low grip so that the drivers have to DRIVE.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 01:45 (Ref:2702224)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
On a dry track the intermediates are worn out within a couple of laps, simply because those tyres are too soft and not designed for all-weather conditions. In other words, a comparison is impossible.

I would have thought developing an all weather tyre that can be used by a modern F1 car would be fairly expensive, considering all the testing that would be required to see if the tyre stood up to the task in all weather conditions. I think it's a non starter.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2702580)   #15
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot less grip than power could be fun :0)
Old 2 Jun 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2703035)   #16
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If F1 get all weather tyres I can imagine 99% of the audience moving to F3 or GP2 instead.

F1 is not, never has been, never will be and never should be "road relevant". If they/you want a road relevant race series, then start one.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2703277)   #17
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
If F1 get all weather tyres I can imagine 99% of the audience moving to F3 or GP2 instead.

F1 is not, never has been, never will be and never should be "road relevant". If they/you want a road relevant race series, then start one.

Sorry, I agree with your main point, but 99% I presume is just a slight exaggeration!

I'm against all-weather tyres too. Like others have said, makes it interesting for when people pit - perhaps the only type of pit-stop thats vaguely interesting to watch!