Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Nov 2012, 02:53 (Ref:3164342)   #76
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saw something the other day that Rodney has taken over full control of both Calder and Adelaide. It looks to be internet hearsay at this stage. Haven't seen anything else that confirms it.

Aside from this, there have been recent reports that AIR is in the process of getting the funds together to be fixed up and brought all the way into the 21st century.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 04:09 (Ref:3164356)   #77
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
... there have been recent reports that AIR is in the process of getting the funds together to be fixed up and brought all the way into the 21st century.
They are planning a separate dragstrip and a new or refurbished circuit. They are seeking government funding apparently.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 04:10 (Ref:3164357)   #78
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
did i hear some form of Nitro car there this weekend?
Old 9 Nov 2012, 04:17 (Ref:3164360)   #79
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
They are planning a separate dragstrip and a new or refurbished circuit. They are seeking government funding apparently.
Here's hoping they get something happening.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 05:03 (Ref:3164362)   #80
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nitro Funny Car meeting on this weekend at Calder.

A Facebook post says that Rodney Jane has taken over.

Also heard the AIR is to be redoveloped
Old 9 Nov 2012, 05:48 (Ref:3164367)   #81
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Nitro Funny Car meeting on this weekend at Calder.

A Facebook post says that Rodney Jane has taken over.

Also heard the AIR is to be redoveloped
According to the website "Just Drag Racing" Calder Park staff have been advised that their services will no longer be required as of the New Year.
I have tried to contact all the people involved but no reply as yet.
The Nitro Funny Car meeting tomorrow night is apparently still going ahead as planned.
Perhaps that's why there's been zero publicity that I have seen.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3164456)   #82
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
According to the website "Just Drag Racing" Calder Park staff have been advised that their services will no longer be required as of the New Year.
The Nitro Funny Car meeting tomorrow night is apparently still going ahead as planned.
I have sxeen publicity while i was up at eildon last weekend. I believe it was a tv add

edit, there was just one on channel ten ten

Last edited by peckstar; 9 Nov 2012 at 10:42.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3164494)   #83
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
The Nitro event is going ahead as Im in one of the Nitro Funny Car crews but didnt travel to melb, but the car is still there and racing......Its going ahead.
But its a goat track !!!!!!
Old 9 Nov 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3164511)   #84
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
The Nitro event is going ahead as Im in one of the Nitro Funny Car crews but didnt travel to melb, but the car is still there and racing......Its going ahead.
But its a goat track !!!!!!
The goats have withdrawn their sanctioning, it's not even up to their standards.
As a spectator you almost have to be a mountain goat to safely get around the terraces.
I really hope that if Rodney has taken control that he doesn't just close the place down although that's the rumour.
Perhaps he can lease it out on a long term basis to a company that can run it properly and bring it back to the standard it was in the early 80's.
I mean a venue like that only 25 minutes from the heart of the CBD and 5 minutes from the airport it's pure gold.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3164691)   #85
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Rodney has taken over full control and given the $$,$$$,$$$'s required to bring it up to even 3rd world standards. I'd say the next vehicles you see out at Calder will be bulldozers.

Sad truth.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3164754)   #86
inpitlane
Veteran

Just spoke with someone at Calder Park, the official line at the moment is that it's business as usual for the rest of this year.
Tonight's meeting is full steam ahead and the upcoming off street meet and other events scheduled for 2012 are all going ahead.
As for next year and the story that everyone has been given notice there is no comment.
I have searched the County Court and Supreme Court records for any recent legal action to back up the claims that Rodney now has control of Calder but I can't find anything.
After all the years of Calder to close, Calder sold, Calder to redevelop, stories I'm not running anything until I get an official word from either Calder or Rodney.
Old 14 Nov 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3166271)   #87
inpitlane
Veteran

It's business as usual until December 15 but after that nothing official apart from the claim that all existing contracts and bookings for 2013 will be honoured.
http://inpitlane.com/archives/14137
Old 20 Dec 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3180288)   #88
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
herald sun is suggesting that security guards might have been called to sort out an ownership issue at Calder.

Old owner marched of the land, Younger owner now in control

Bob Jane fued with son hits new low
Old 20 Dec 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3180387)   #89
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try news.com.au for those who are not Herald Sun subscribers.

All sounds a bit sad and nasty.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3180539)   #90
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
All sounds a bit sad and nasty.
Sounds more like, I'm not leaving over my dead body.......

Bob, go and enjoy some time with your grandkids!
Old 7 Mar 2013, 05:39 (Ref:3215391)   #91
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Material

I've just noticed that the vandalised turnstile building at the entry to the Thunderdome has been wrapped in hospitality tent type material; quite bizarre.

Anyone got any news on Calder's future?
Old 7 Mar 2013, 06:28 (Ref:3215398)   #92
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fumigation??
Old 7 Mar 2013, 06:49 (Ref:3215404)   #93
Umai Naa
Veteran

Vandalised? Why?

Aesbestos, hence tent?
Old 7 Mar 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3215419)   #94
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was built in the late 80's well after asbestos was banned so that's unlikely to be the reason.

There was a motorcycle event held in the car park area a month or so ago and they may well have covered it over for that??
Old 7 Mar 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3215422)   #95
Umai Naa
Veteran

I see.

Slightly related, I read with interest that AIR is all but completely resealed, with some events besides 1/8mile drags on the agenda.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3215453)   #96
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Vandalised? Why?
The previous management had let the Thunderdome go into almost total disrepair. People could be excused for thinking that it had been totally abandoned.

The turnstile building was particularly vulnerable to vandalism by its remoteness and has been all but totally destroyed for many years now.

The Thunderdome is now a very sad sight. It's a pity, as I reckon a road circuit within the infield and using part of the Dome main straight would have made a fabulous venue with perfect viewing from massive seating and complete with permanent lighting. A night V8 Supercar race would have been sensational, and cheaper than other nighttime options.

The motorcycle event, if it was held in the Thunderdome car park, may explain the cover-up.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3215749)   #97
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so, if one was to a big bag of money, would it be cheaper to fix it and bring it up to current spec, or bulldoze and start again?
Old 7 Mar 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3215763)   #98
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
so, if one was to a big bag of money, would it be cheaper to fix it and bring it up to current spec, or bulldoze and start again?
Having seen the time and money that Bob Jane put into getting the venue to become Australia's premier racing venue from its original goat track flat origins, I would suggest leaving bulldozers well alone.

I think you would then need a slightly less big bag of gold to get it up and running again.

It almost seemed like there was a constant stream of dump trucks arriving at the circuit for years and years. I would hate to think how much money Bob sunk into the venue. Politics aside, it's a shame that Bob has seemingly lost control of the venue.

Here's hoping something positive comes out of a change of ownership/management, other than an industrial park.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 22:28 (Ref:3215764)   #99
Umai Naa
Veteran

Last time I was there in 2005, there was so much junk lying around.

I must've counted at least 30 shipping containers, a dozen abandoned cars, 40 or so 44gal drums, among other crap. Then there was all the stuff on the south side in the badlands.

Most of the buildings even back then looked like they needed to be torn down.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3215771)   #100
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Last time I was there in 2005, there was so much junk lying around.

I must've counted at least 30 shipping containers, a dozen abandoned cars, 40 or so 44gal drums, among other crap. Then there was all the stuff on the south side in the badlands.

Most of the buildings even back then looked like they needed to be torn down.
There's no denying that there would need to be a lot of money spent on the venue before a V8 Supercars event returned there.

Betty has her own race team, maybe she could do with a race track to go with it?