Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Jan 2002, 20:04 (Ref:202865)   #1
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charles Hollings also to return to Mackie Motorsport to compete Formula Renault

Just thought Id let you hear the news first. Charles Holings, who for the past two years has been running with us in Ford on cheap learning deals, is returing this year to compete in Formula Renault. For us he is a local lad who could show the rest of the field how we do it here in Yorkshire.

If youve seen him racing before, tell me what you think of him. I know Paul Raynor will have a lot to say
Old 22 Jan 2002, 21:55 (Ref:202933)   #2
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Charles Hollings also to return to Mackie Motorsport to compete Formula Renault

I'll say this:

Quote:
Charles Hollings completes Mackie Motorsport driver line-up

Charles Hollings will move up with the Mackie Motorsport team to the Formula Renault UK Championship this year, as the series gains the strongest field of competitors it has had in its history.

The series has gained in stature since Finland's Kimi Raikkonen rose from the series direct to Formula One last year, setting a trend that other young drivers are eager to follow. Aiming to follow this path, Charles decided a move to Formula Renault was the best way to further his career while competing in the Formula Renault Winter Series at the end of 2001.

After looking at several teams in the championship, he realised that the best option was to remain with the team he has driven for the last two seasons as they move up to Renault. Charles will partner last year's McLaren Autosport Young Driver of the Year, Steven Kane, who won the 2001 Avon Junior Formula Ford Zetec Championship for Mackie Motorsport.

The two drivers will share number one status in the team as they push each other to win. Despite stiff competition in the series, team boss Andy Mackie is aiming for the top. "We’re not in this to finish second to Motaworld, Manor or anybody".

Charles said of the move:
"It's good to stick with the team that I know. Steven and I get along well, work well together, that's important."

The team are flying out to Italy tomorrow (Wednesday 23rd) to pick up their new cars and begin an intensive 2 weeks of testing across Italy and Spain before the testing ban comes into place at the end of February.

-Ends-

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 22 Jan 2002 at 22:00.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:20 (Ref:203144)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he's got the potential to be really quick - rockingham winter series showed that. i guess like anyone it's just a matter of finding out how to go quick all the time. it's a great chance for him to show he's good, i hope he makes the most of it.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 13:29 (Ref:203175)   #4
Clyde Ankle
Rookie

Clyde Ankle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the Charles Hollings that finished twelfth in the FRenault Winter Series?

Can't see him him pushing Steven Kane somehow.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 14:35 (Ref:203216)   #5
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still undecided about Kane. He was blown into the weeds by Gary Turkington when they tested together for Motaworld at Pembrey. perhaps he just didn't gel with the team but with Mackie it might well be different. People who have watched him extensively say he takes a long time to adapt but when he does he's electrifying. Let's wait and see. I'm sure Hollings could be strong, too.

Mackie, of course, have got a big mountain to climb to get on an equal footing with Motaworld, manor, Fortec, Falcon (Village) etc but I hope they can do it.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 14:59 (Ref:203223)   #6
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Ankle
Is this the Charles Hollings that finished twelfth in the FRenault Winter Series?
His position in the winter series points didn't reflect his true pace. Because it's only a 4 race series, any bad result gives you a bad championship placing. Charles had two, one at each circuit. He had a bad qualifying session because of a misfire which wiped out one of the Rockingham races, and debris from Hamilton's car gave him a puncture at Donington. Apart from that he got a 4th and a 5th. More details of the races can be found in the news section of www.charleshollings.com
He could be one of the surprises of the year, I definitely think that he should be better in Formula Renault than Formula Ford. Mackie are one of the great unknowns this year.

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 23 Jan 2002 at 15:03.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 15:36 (Ref:203233)   #7
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's certainly fairly good, but nothing overly special. I'd expect with the level playing field of FR he'd get in the top 6 regulary but i wouldn't expect major fireworks or anything.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 20:35 (Ref:203363)   #8
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Charles Hollings also to return to Mackie Motorsport to compete Formula Renault

What a long title!....Move along there please...Next!