Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give the Chinese Grand Prix?
10 0 0%
9 3 6.12%
8 18 36.73%
7 15 30.61%
6 9 18.37%
5 2 4.08%
4 1 2.04%
3 1 2.04%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Apr 2016, 02:57 (Ref:3634689)   #26
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If I may Jeremy:

It is soulless

So, would it be better if it was built somewhere in Europe on a disused airfield? I think it has a good mix of corners and I like the long straight. The layout provides several good overtaking areas without the use of DRS and generally produces good races.

As with most of the fans I generally watch the races on TV so hardly ever see or notice the grandstands and crowds (or lack of them).

I would agree it is somewhat sterile, but so is Silverstone now in my opinion. It just has more history. Everyone has different views and just because mine is different doesn't make it right (or wrong), just different and seeing other people's views is the main reason I am in this forum.

Ultimately my focus is on the drivers and cars so I would prefer to see decent racing at a sterile circuit rather than sterile (soulless?) racing at a "popular" circuit. Maybe at Shanghai they need to knock a few of those empty grandstands down and plant a heap of trees instead. Make us imagine that long back straight could be in a Bavarian forest.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 03:05 (Ref:3634690)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
What's wrong with the track?
It's one of worst examples of a modern track, straights that go on for ever followed by hairpins..
whatever happened to sweeping turns that flow ..
Old 19 Apr 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3634840)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
I"ve Been following F1 since the 1950's'.
If that was "only average" what period are you calculating the average over?
Let's be honest the organisation, governance and administration of F1 might be a disaster at present but the general standard of the racing is as good as it has ever been.
Gave it an 8
That's certainly a long time but is it as good as ever, when drivers have to rely on DRS in order to overtake?
Old 19 Apr 2016, 14:16 (Ref:3634842)   #29
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness though there were many passes made outside of the DRS zones in China (and in OZ and Bahrain as well) and multiple times we saw cars going 2 or 3 wide with attempts at passing two cars at once.

i am also not a huge fan of DRS but surely the drivers are not just relying on DRS zones to pass.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 16:45 (Ref:3635456)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in fairness though there were many passes made outside of the DRS zones in China (and in OZ and Bahrain as well) and multiple times we saw cars going 2 or 3 wide with attempts at passing two cars at once.

i am also not a huge fan of DRS but surely the drivers are not just relying on DRS zones to pass.
That's not quite how I remember it. There were some passes without the use of DRS but on the whole passing is reliant on DRS.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3635525)   #31
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's not quite how I remember it. There were some passes without the use of DRS but on the whole passing is reliant on DRS.
I'd say you're misrepresenting what transpired. I seem to remember just as many passes occurring into turn 6 as in the DRS zones. Perez and Hamilton, if I'm remembering correctly, also made moves stick on the outside of turn 7 and Hamilton passed Bottas into turn 9. The plethora of overtaking was derived from the tires, not any semblance of overpowered DRS.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3635554)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I'd say you're misrepresenting what transpired. I seem to remember just as many passes occurring into turn 6 as in the DRS zones. Perez and Hamilton, if I'm remembering correctly, also made moves stick on the outside of turn 7 and Hamilton passed Bottas into turn 9. The plethora of overtaking was derived from the tires, not any semblance of overpowered DRS.
Nothing to do with misrepresentation, it's how I remember it and it's not just confined to one race but all three races so far this season and I've watched them all live, no highlights.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 02:03 (Ref:3635574)   #33
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nothing to do with misrepresentation, it's how I remember it and it's not just confined to one race but all three races so far this season and I've watched them all live, no highlights.
What is the opposite of rose tinted glasses? Sh*t tinted glasses? When you are so jaded by F1, that even when you witness a great race, with a huge amount of action and fantastic passing manoeuvres (many without DRS assistance), you still see something poor, and comment negatively.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 04:54 (Ref:3635590)   #34
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
What is the opposite of rose tinted glasses? Sh*t tinted glasses? When you are so jaded by F1, that even when you witness a great race, with a huge amount of action and fantastic passing manoeuvres (many without DRS assistance), you still see something poor, and comment negatively.
There's often a lot of passing in DRS zones during the first few laps when it isn't enabled and as you pointed out some circuits even allow non-DRS passes later on. To me, the DRS zones take away a lot of excitement as often they destroy what could've been a good battle. Besides the moves into T6 (and a nice move round the outside by Hamilton through 7 or 8 IIRC) there were also lots of moves where drivers were already alongside each other at the beginning of the DRS zone and DRS took away any chance of a fight-back and many times when drivers moved back to the ideal racing line before braking.

It's just unnecessary and makes the racing more dull than it could be. I don't care about the number of passes, I'd rather have a battle for 6th that goes on for a few laps with the two drivers working at the limit than the following driver just sit back and wait for the next opportunity to push the nice little go-fast button and fly past the other. That's why I often find myself checking the phone or heading to the fridge in recent years...
Old 22 Apr 2016, 07:39 (Ref:3635611)   #35
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
There's often a lot of passing in DRS zones during the first few laps when it isn't enabled and as you pointed out some circuits even allow non-DRS passes later on. To me, the DRS zones take away a lot of excitement as often they destroy what could've been a good battle. Besides the moves into T6 (and a nice move round the outside by Hamilton through 7 or 8 IIRC) there were also lots of moves where drivers were already alongside each other at the beginning of the DRS zone and DRS took away any chance of a fight-back and many times when drivers moved back to the ideal racing line before braking.

It's just unnecessary and makes the racing more dull than it could be. I don't care about the number of passes, I'd rather have a battle for 6th that goes on for a few laps with the two drivers working at the limit than the following driver just sit back and wait for the next opportunity to push the nice little go-fast button and fly past the other. That's why I often find myself checking the phone or heading to the fridge in recent years...
Well, with the amount of aero effect, I'm afraid that the “battle” you want might be nothing more than procession. Everyone running in line, waiting for the pitstop jump.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Apr 2016, 08:56 (Ref:3635625)   #36
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Well, with the amount of aero effect, I'm afraid that the “battle” you want might be nothing more than procession. Everyone running in line, waiting for the pitstop jump.

Why does slipstreaming seam to work during the first few laps without DRS then? The way these new Tilke circuits have been designed, DRS makes passing look easy and uninteresting to me, that's all I wanted to say with my post to explain why I and some others didn't give the race a higher score despite lots of passing that we got to see.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 13:20 (Ref:3635673)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Did you watch the race live, or edited highlights?

If you thought last weekends Chinese GP was a great race, I wonder what you would have made of Bahrain 2014 because that was a great race?

I refer you to my initial post, having watched the race live. #9

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 22 Apr 2016 at 13:27.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 14:32 (Ref:3635681)   #38
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
Why does slipstreaming seam to work during the first few laps without DRS then? The way these new Tilke circuits have been designed, DRS makes passing look easy and uninteresting to me, that's all I wanted to say with my post to explain why I and some others didn't give the race a higher score despite lots of passing that we got to see.
Because of new tyres and bunched up field. Both simply won't work if you are playing catch up game.

Old 22 Apr 2016, 15:27 (Ref:3635694)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
one of the problems (or benefits depending on your point of view) is that DRS does enable closer racing....rather even passes that dont happen at the end of a DRS zone are in part also aided by the DRS sections.

its a tough nut. i resent that a 'gimmick' aid is needed in the first place but i see the benefits of it.

but on the whole, imo, there is a lot more passing and action throughout the length of the track now then prior to the DRS era when passing seemed to only be relegated to passes made at the end of long straights (which was the premise of the Tilke designs).

not sure if that made sense or not.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3635721)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!

Enough going on throughout to keep everyone interested from start to finish. Not a bad race
Old 22 Apr 2016, 17:35 (Ref:3635723)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
one of the problems (or benefits depending on your point of view) is that DRS does enable closer racing....rather even passes that dont happen at the end of a DRS zone are in part also aided by the DRS sections.

its a tough nut. i resent that a 'gimmick' aid is needed in the first place but i see the benefits of it.

but on the whole, imo, there is a lot more passing and action throughout the length of the track now then prior to the DRS era when passing seemed to only be relegated to passes made at the end of long straights (which was the premise of the Tilke designs).

not sure if that made sense or not.
I don't know if DRS necessarily enables closer racing but it does enable overtaking as we all know, given the current aero configuration of the cars.

I can't say I've noticed a marked increase in overtaking without DRS but with 18 races left on the calendar, I will be watching with great interest.