Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Jun 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2907464)   #26
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
the back information from racecars is implimented in future road cars.
example. a tuner finds places that have room for improvement, and what they would want in the next road car, and a smart manufactirer listens to them. this is true for Ferrari, Porsche and Corvette.

the information from the race cars, has a lot of relevance on how future products might be improved.
But the problem is a GT2 car is focused on racing. When we buy these road cars we don;t race with them most of the time..

What could a tuner possbily say that would be relevant to a road car.

Heres what tuners say,
Quote:
Make a quick disconnect nose. Make a quick disconnect gearbox, get rid of the A/C its too heavy, make the car lighter so i can add strategic ballast, make the engine easier to maintain,
In short the problems that the GT2 cars have are simply not issues that the road cars have. The 458 italia does not have gearbox electronic issues. The GT2 car is all about saving weight, more horsepower, quicker shifts, more serviceablity.

The road car is about comfort and electronic stability systems, and paddle shifts,

Let me tell you how irrelevant the GT2 car is to the Road car. Ferrari did not use the paddle shift system on the road going 458 italia in the GT2 car. they stayed with the Stick shift and are still using stick shift. That shows that they did not find anything useable from the road car in regards to that.

if anything the road cars kept catching fire and that seems to have carried over to the GT2 car over at ESM racing lol.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 01:35 (Ref:2908350)   #27
ztnedman1
Racer

United States
Tennessee
ztnedman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
But the problem is a GT2 car is focused on racing. When we buy these road cars we don;t race with them most of the time..

What could a tuner possbily say that would be relevant to a road car.

Heres what tuners say,

In short the problems that the GT2 cars have are simply not issues that the road cars have. The 458 italia does not have gearbox electronic issues. The GT2 car is all about saving weight, more horsepower, quicker shifts, more serviceablity.

The road car is about comfort and electronic stability systems, and paddle shifts,

Let me tell you how irrelevant the GT2 car is to the Road car. Ferrari did not use the paddle shift system on the road going 458 italia in the GT2 car. they stayed with the Stick shift and are still using stick shift. That shows that they did not find anything useable from the road car in regards to that.

if anything the road cars kept catching fire and that seems to have carried over to the GT2 car over at ESM racing lol.
No Ferrari does not use its F1 paddle transmission in GT2 because it is against regulations. If they could use it they would, and Porsche would use its PDK (which was first used on the 962)
Old 30 Jun 2011, 01:37 (Ref:2908351)   #28
ztnedman1
Racer

United States
Tennessee
ztnedman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Reliability? If they are struggling with the road car engine reliabiliy. The last of their worries is building a GT2 car. Recalls are expensive.

In all the GT2 cars the parts bar the engine block/pistons get swapped out for racing versions of the identical part. they swap out the dampers and springs roll bars etc..

they put in a roll cage. The GT2 is supposed to have the same design as the road car. Not the same parts... they don't use the road car suspension in the race car(they swap it out for stronger version of the same part) i hope you don;t think that....

The 458 road car suspension was not meant to thrash curbs like the GT2 car does. same for all the other GT2 cars. They'es not really too much part transfer.

You don;t just get to mess with things like that during the season. The car might have to be rehomologated. Aren;t they only allowed one evolution per year?

Theyre not testing road car bits and pieces on the GT2 cars. The road car parts are much too feeble.

GT2 cars have manual clutches. They don;t have ABS and are banned from using alot of the Electronic Control systems found in the road car. that sounds pretty irrelevant to me.

The road car has ABS,ESC, and lots of aids. Those are things that if allowed would facilitate technology transfer.
Porsche acutually raced a production GT3RS last year(with safety mods only) in the VLN and did quite well if I am remembering correctly.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2908400)   #29
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I am sure most if not all the 2011 GTE cars have a paddle shift option available.

Tom.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2908816)   #30
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
I am sure most if not all the 2011 GTE cars have a paddle shift option available.

Tom.
The 458 is the only one i know of that doesn't.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2908827)   #31
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
The 458 is the only one i know of that doesn't.
Shows how much tech transfer there is between the road car and the race car.......The road car has paddle shift

Thats 7% of the reason why im convinced that GT2 isn't a test bed for road cars.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2908885)   #32
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Shows how much tech transfer there is between the road car and the race car.......The road car has paddle shift

Thats 7% of the reason why im convinced that GT2 isn't a test bed for road cars.
the only reason it doesent have a padle shift is that its a brand new car that was a little rushed into racing, but the paddle shift is coming.

Chassis development, as well as engine can have a lot of development and feedback to future road cars.

why do you think porsche has been racing the 911 since its inseption, to push the boundaries and learn from, grueling race conditions, things that can't be learnd it labs, or testbeds.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 01:16 (Ref:2914130)   #33
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Clearly without all the BoP the Ferrari 458 would dominate and all GT races would be boring....Do you want boring racing?? The Risi ferrari takes pole fastest lap and leads flag to flag. What kinda storyline is that?? Who wants to watch that? I hope you don't either
Arakis does!

I guess I should have read further into the thread as Arakis said it for himself!

DK