Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Apr 2017, 21:46 (Ref:3727865)   #26
Michael Birch
Rookie

Michael Birch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Final instructions received today and good to see paddock 2 access from 1400hrs Thursday. The far paddock (1) is not accessible until 1830hrs. Most of the great and good are in 2, though....

Our class in GTSCC contains 14 cars, of which 8 are Big Healeys and 3 are E Types! Going to be tough.......
My class looks tough Mike......if only I could finish.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 23:17 (Ref:3727889)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Some pretty big entries there!
Old 20 Apr 2017, 05:37 (Ref:3727918)   #28
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Birch View Post
You'll be fine- not sure about the other chap though!

25 entries for the F2 race, but just 11 for the Peter Auto event at Spa in May. First blood to HSCC?

Last edited by Mike Bell; 20 Apr 2017 at 05:51.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3727927)   #29
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael, if I were you I would start the race, and then forget to get out of the car at the pit stop....problem solved!!

Alternatively you could change you car to something reliable like a 356....always runs perfectly till I hand it over to the old man!!!!!

Last edited by 356sc; 20 Apr 2017 at 07:06.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 20 Apr 2017, 07:09 (Ref:3727933)   #30
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Another huge entry for the MRL touring cars!
Looks like JD are entering the XJS and Vitesse and the G1 element also looks strong.
Not sure but does seem that a few regulars from this field are absent?
Shame that once again no 635 or Volvo's are doing it. They seem to prefer Peter Auto.
Still it will be a fantastic spectacle.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3727957)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There is one 635 on the list- #55. Bit different to a few years ago though, when 635s outnumbered anything (and sometimes everything) else in touring car races!

Bit disappointed with the Jaguar race entries- 37 cars (good) but 31 of those are 'E' Types (not so good). Unless you like 'E's more than other Jags, of course.....
Old 21 Apr 2017, 06:12 (Ref:3728108)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think my Tornado will be similarly paced and I was thinking just that.

If only I could finish . . . Building it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Birch View Post
Old 21 Apr 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3728222)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
There is one 635 on the list- #55. Bit different to a few years ago though, when 635s outnumbered anything (and sometimes everything) else in touring car races!

Bit disappointed with the Jaguar race entries- 37 cars (good) but 31 of those are 'E' Types (not so good). Unless you like 'E's more than other Jags, of course.....
Oh brill i missed that one!!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3729078)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:

Hang on is that #55 a CSL?
Old 25 Apr 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3729086)   #35
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly, the historic car demo run through the Castle Donington village is not happening on the Saturday evening this year. Supposedly due to time constraints from the organisers. A great shame as it was well supported by the local population and created a real buzz in the village, and a great social atmosphere.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 10:16 (Ref:3729093)   #36
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to getting back to Donington, its been a while!
Grant, what chance of half decent images with a 400mm?
I guess debris fences are on the outside of most corners, are there any places with uninterrupted vision anymore?
Thanks for the warning on the roadworks, hope to arrive Friday around 10.00
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3729112)   #37
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hang on is that #55 a CSL?
Patrick Blakeney-Edwards has co-driven a CSL in a few events, so I'm assuming it is the same one. Very colourful Jagermeister scheme....

Shame no parade on Saturday, Andy, but will probably make parking and access easier for anyone wanting to eat in CD!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3729114)   #38
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Looking forward to getting back to Donington, its been a while!
Grant, what chance of half decent images with a 400mm?
I guess debris fences are on the outside of most corners, are there any places with uninterrupted vision anymore?
Thanks for the warning on the roadworks, hope to arrive Friday around 10.00
Hmm.

Inside at Redgate is OK with a 200mm but the background is not great usually. From there down the inside of the Craner curves is reasonable. The outside is all fence but there are one or two points where you can get a slight gap looking back up or down the hill. Recovery vehicle gaps. Very restricted width.

Still on the infield carry on around the barrier line to Schwantz and there are still some options there - or were last time I headed that was a while back.

Assuming the infield is open you can fairly quickly traverse from where the old sparkplug commentary box used to be to the esses back on the other side.

Im not sure if either of the tunnels between McLeans and Coppice will be open for pedestrians but if the old Coppice Tunnel is open that would be a bonus. Outside at Coppice right round by the "No Pedestrians" gate next to the toilet block gives an option to shoot through the fencing with a 400mm on a crop body. It's not ideal but with careful positioning it's possible to get some worthwhile results - partly because the background variations make for something different and there is usually some sort of action at Coppice.

If you have to go around the outside of the circuit .... it's a long way.

Last time I was there for a test day they had left some advertising stuff tied to the tyre barrier after the BSB so that the main part fo that section was blocked for viewing for anyone under about 7ft tall. Poor show I thought. Presumably they were planning to re-use it for BTCC TV cameras so I hope it is removed by now.

Going around the outside from the paddock ... the banking past Redgate at Holly Wood offers some options although the fencing usually means is only works when panning and then watch out for the fence posts positions. To get Redgate exit shots of interest probably requires a 600mm IMO.

Recovery vehicle gaps mainly offer rear views. Of for a couple of snaps but they get boring quickly - especially if there is a tractor in the gap. (Not always the case for clubbies but might be for a "big" meeting). Half ay down the banking between Craner and Old Hairpin it is possible to get high enough to shoot over the fencing for some pan shots.

At the Old Hairpin it's just about possible to shoot through the fence at an angle to capture the turn in point without the fence detracting too much.

Likewise the banking north of the Old Hairpin and on towards what is left of the bridge gives height but even with a 400 there not too much scope for filling frame. You can get some nice shots of massed starts pouring through Craner Curves though and there might be some "action" there.

From the bridge remains through to McLeans and on around to Coppice would have some nice potential if not for the fencing.

The banking on the outside at the rise towards Coppice does allow some fence free viewing but it's a tricky panning opportunity mostly and for much of the day means shooting into the sun. Might work for some unusual stuff in the evening when the sun should be low and directly in line.

It is certainly possible to shoot the McLean exit from there - can be exciting if there is action - but again 400mm is a bit short even when happy making a deep crop. Monopod or Tripod recommended.

Thinking of McLeans - from the infield there should be a few fence free lines available using a 400mm lens but over the years I've never been entirely convinced that the resulting images are interesting. Then again the infield was closed for years and the new infield has a greatly raised spectator area which I have only investigated once so far so there may be some new options to be discovered.

Other than that .... it depends on what there might be available in terms of Grandstands. I suspect just the usual. The one opposite the pits offers some pit stop shots. The permanent one at the pits entrance gives clear panning options but not too much else.

Halfway along the pit building there is a place where the steps up to the media suite offer a small platform for overhead pits shots but it can be full of team members watching what is going on.

If the full GP circuit was to be used there would be some further options related to the loop but they don't come into play for this one.

HTH.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3729189)   #39
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Talbot is out in Mad Jack Pre War race.
We were going to enter last weeks VSCC Fox and Nichols race at Silverstone but it seems they preferred lots of specials to an original F&N car.
The MSL race is so much more representative than VSCC
The Nash jobs will win but we can give it a go,
Old 25 Apr 2017, 21:11 (Ref:3729195)   #40
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grant, thanks that is a highly detailed response.
The camera will be packed in anticipation.
No doubt we will see you there.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:26 (Ref:3729350)   #41
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mmm, just noticed in the final instructions- no racing engines to be run on Thursday, and not until 0900 other days. Bit awkward when first race of the day starts just after!

I wonder what hours E Midlands Airport operates for take offs and landings......
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3729353)   #42
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mmm, just notice in the final instructions- no racing engines to be run on Thursday, and not until 0900 other days. Bit awkward when first race of the day starts just after!

I wonder what hours E Midlands Airport operates for take offs and landings......
The no racing engines before 0900 is standard at Donington, Mike.

As for East Midlands Airport ops, I will give you the party line! EMA only actually operates for approx 19% of its available operating time so, although the aircraft engines are noisier than the race car engines there are significant quiet periods between take offs or landings.

In contrast, once practice/qualifying/ racing starts at Donington then there tends to be a near constant engine noise from 0900 until close of play with very few breaks. None petrol heads find this engine noise/ drone irritating apparently!

In addition, EMA employs something like 5000 plus people so, whilst the locals don't like the aircraft noise either, they cut it slack.

I'm not saying I agree with any of that, but that is the crux of the reason why DP tries to limit things. It may even be in line with their planning conditions, and certainly forms part of their noise management plan which the local Council do monitor.

I do know that people shouldn't move near race tracks and airports and then moan about noise, but whether we like it not, we enjoy a minority interest sport and we have to be seen to be good neighbours where possible and not give the moaners any ammunition.

As long as DP operates within its planning conditions and noise management plan it will continue to operate. As soon as it deviates from those rules it can be shut down. Look what happened to Mallory when the old operators there took it upon themselves to operate outside the rules.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3729365)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England

Old 26 Apr 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3729369)   #44
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, for anyone interested in going to watch the Rallying and karting demo's, here the timetable and entries for Saturday and Sunday:
Attached Thumbnails
18157372_1844474539134615_2551258100795556002_n.jpg   18157689_1844474562467946_2132594292527118519_n.jpg  
Old 26 Apr 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3729375)   #45
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Grant, thanks that is a highly detailed response.
The camera will be packed in anticipation.
No doubt we will see you there.
That would be great but the current plan seems to offer only Friday as an option for me - possible an odd hour or so on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon.

Family commitments intervene.

Weather forecast looks somewhat like April (mixed) tho' a tad cooler than one might hope given it's the end of the month?

I was at Cadwell today. Apparently they had snow early on. I was too late for that but showers, sleet and hail with some strongish winds mixed with some decent sunshine from time to time. Every time a dry line appeared it rained again.

Fortunately I was only snapping not driving.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 05:28 (Ref:3729419)   #46
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Looking like wettest day at Donny will be today, which isn't much of a problem! Touch wood no more rain until possibly late sunday night.....

I'll take that!
Old 28 Apr 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3729597)   #47
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Brilliant sunshine here in hockenheim. Hope all goes well today all tenthers at Donington. See you Sunday
Old 28 Apr 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3729748)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So far so good! Qualifying done, car still intact......

Had time to chat with your Jag XK owner as well.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 05:03 (Ref:3729832)   #49
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quali times are here

http://www.mstworld.com/results/event/2017/2

Live timing here

https://livetiming.getraceresults.co...screen-results
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 29 Apr 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3729960)   #50
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I assume the Palmer/MSV lease hasn't started yet ?